Car Insurance: Can I insure someone not living at my address?

Found 25th Oct 2015
Hi,

I'm looking to get my car insured and have found that adding 2 additional drivers gives me the cheapest quotes. One of the additional drivers is my mother and the second does not live at my address (uncle). He's not going to drive the vehicle, I'm just adding him to the policy to get the cheaper quote.

Is it permissible for me to insure my uncle on my car? I'm guessing that it is OK, but just need some confirmation as I don't want to risk invalidating my insurance.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Community Updates
19 Comments
additional drivers do not normally reduce the premium. if anything, they will increase the premium.
are you sure you didn't put your uncle as the main driver and you as the additional driver?
mutley1

additional drivers do not normally reduce the premium. if anything, they … additional drivers do not normally reduce the premium. if anything, they will increase the premium.are you sure you didn't put your uncle as the main driver and you as the additional driver?

Additional drivers have always reduced premiums for me - it depends on the person you add. As a younger driver, insuring parents or more experienced drivers as additional drivers tends to reduce premiums significantly.
EDIT: I'm the main driver
Edited by: "Hustler1337" 25th Oct 2015
in theory yes adding additional drivers will bring down your premium

but be careful that if they have no intention to use your car and you are adding them purely to manipulate the premium some insurers may take a dim view of this - after all what you are offering them is a spreading of risk with more experienced drivers - if you have no intention of spreading the risk then why should they reduce the premium

just be aware that if you have an accident your insurer may well dig deep and try and prove you are the exclusive or very near exclusive driver

EliTom
i can only echo Eli

a guy in work uses all the scam to get his insurance down to its very lowest, says he parks it in a road more than a mile away from where he lives, adds all his older drivers on and it is quite obvious he has never tried to make an insurance claim

they will question you at length if you are responsible for an accident

Definitely does lower insurancd by having additional drivers on there. My partners insurance is due the beginning of next month and his insurance has dropped quite significantly with having his Mum and Dad as additional drivers (both who live at different address from my partner).
kingtreelo

i can only echo Elia guy in work uses all the scam to get his insurance … i can only echo Elia guy in work uses all the scam to get his insurance down to its very lowest, says he parks it in a road more than a mile away from where he lives, adds all his older drivers on and it is quite obvious he has never tried to make an insurance claimthey will question you at length if you are responsible for an accident

Insurance is all about risk management - and that is a 2 way street

If you want your insurer to pay out of you have to make a claim your must be 100% truthful

This is one of the downsides of a highly competitive market and search site such as gocompare - insurance companies must shave every little bit of premiums to be competitive and as a result they must be more aggressive in handling claims in order to maintain their profit and satisfy their stakeholders.

Also consider your risk - what would happen if you did cause a serious accident and your insurer refused to pay out because they could prove your uncle had never been near your car ? what then?

EliTom
and yes you can add drivers at different addresses - I am named on my Dad's car in case I need to drive him somewhere - he is 83 yo - but he lives at a different address to me !

and yes I do drive his car when I visit - but this is not to lower his premium - it is because I have a company car so no insurance in my own name

EliTom
Must be acceptable to add drivers at other addresses. When I learnt to drive, both my mum's brothers insured me on their cars. Obviously neither lived at my address.
elitom

Insurance is all about risk management - and that is a 2 way streetIf you … Insurance is all about risk management - and that is a 2 way streetIf you want your insurer to pay out of you have to make a claim your must be 100% truthfulThis is one of the downsides of a highly competitive market and search site such as gocompare - insurance companies must shave every little bit of premiums to be competitive and as a result they must be more aggressive in handling claims in order to maintain their profit and satisfy their stakeholders.Also consider your risk - what would happen if you did cause a serious accident and your insurer refused to pay out because they could prove your uncle had never been near your car ? what then?EliTom

I agree with you 100%, but the fact is that it will be very difficult for the insurer to prove that he has never been near my car. There is nothing in the quote form which asks customers how many miles they expect their named drivers to drive in that vehicle. He could drive just 10 miles the entire year, that doesn't mean that I had no real reason not to insure him - I was just following the law. Personally, I think the policy holder has to be given the benefit of the doubt and I welcome anyone who can say with some certainty that the policy will be invalidated.

Thanks
Hustler1337

I agree with you 100%, but the fact is that it will be very difficult for … I agree with you 100%, but the fact is that it will be very difficult for the insurer to prove that he has never been near my car. There is nothing in the quote form which asks customers how many miles they expect their named drivers to drive in that vehicle. He could drive just 10 miles the entire year, that doesn't mean that I had no real reason not to insure him - I was just following the law. Personally, I think the policy holder has to be given the benefit of the doubt and I welcome anyone who can say with some certainty that the policy will be invalidated.Thanks

which is odd how additional drivers can reduce risk and so reduce premium. the main driver is still you and your risk has not been lowered unless the insurer thinks that the additional drivers will be regular drivers so you would drive less.

google whether additional drivers can live far away from you and google the definition of additional driver on your insurer. if they don't stipulate that the additional driver need to live with you or near you or have to regularly drive your drive then it should be fine.

sounds like the insurers are assessing risk very oddly with regard to additional drivers as they assume that the additional drivers will be driving the car regularly.
I do this all the time to add my parents on to my car, it brings down the overall cost (for some unknown reason) and gives the convenience that if I visit them or they visit me that they can move my car if it's blocking the drive or take it out to the shops if it's the nearest one to get out in. If you've got a reason to add them beyond to reduce the premium there cannot be an issue with it. Last year my mum managed about 50feet in my car, my dad about 20 miles and it all saved me money and having to drive the car too!
mutley1

additional drivers do not normally reduce the premium. if anything, they … additional drivers do not normally reduce the premium. if anything, they will increase the premium.are you sure you didn't put your uncle as the main driver and you as the additional driver?

Definitely not true, most young people add mum/dad/gran etc as a second driver to reduce the premium. To answer op you can insure people not at your address no problem. I added my mum who I don't live with to mine over the phone 'just in case she ever needs to borrow it' and the insurance were fine with that.
I've had my mum and dad on my policy as additional drivers since I started driving 11 years ago and I've not lived with them for 9 years and I've never had any problems.

My mum and dad can drive other cars anyway on their own policies so it wouldn't make any difference if I needed to claim.
elitom

Insurance is all about risk management - and that is a 2 way streetIf you … Insurance is all about risk management - and that is a 2 way streetIf you want your insurer to pay out of you have to make a claim your must be 100% truthfulThis is one of the downsides of a highly competitive market and search site such as gocompare - insurance companies must shave every little bit of premiums to be competitive and as a result they must be more aggressive in handling claims in order to maintain their profit and satisfy their stakeholders.Also consider your risk - what would happen if you did cause a serious accident and your insurer refused to pay out because they could prove your uncle had never been near your car ? what then?EliTom

It's not rocket science, but the day they need to make a claim(and i have been there) it will come back to haunt them
HondaLad

My mum and dad can drive other cars anyway on their own policies so it … My mum and dad can drive other cars anyway on their own policies so it wouldn't make any difference if I needed to claim.

Yes it possibly would - being able to drive other cars makes no difference - if having your parents on your policy significantly reduces the premium and they do not drive your car your insurer may investigate - but only if you make a claim

EliTom
U can add other drivers. I've got my sister in nine, lives about half a mile away u case of emergencies. Don't know why the insurer would even ask about other drivers if u have an accident???
Hustler1337

I agree with you 100%, but the fact is that it will be very difficult for … I agree with you 100%, but the fact is that it will be very difficult for the insurer to prove that he has never been near my car. There is nothing in the quote form which asks customers how many miles they expect their named drivers to drive in that vehicle. He could drive just 10 miles the entire year, that doesn't mean that I had no real reason not to insure him - I was just following the law. Personally, I think the policy holder has to be given the benefit of the doubt and I welcome anyone who can say with some certainty that the policy will be invalidated.Thanks

That's not how it works in law. A contract of insurance is one of utmost good faith - the highest possible standard of good faith, and any misrepresentation can render the contract voidable at the hand sof the insurer. Therefore, they are perfectly entitled to investigate whether adding an additional party to the policy was only done as a means to lower the premium where that person was never intended to drive the car. EliTom has it bang on.
mutley1

I'm a woman, it went £100 cheaper to add husband on, but I don't let him drive it hahaha
sofiasar

I'm a woman, it went £100 cheaper to add husband on, but I don't let him … I'm a woman, it went £100 cheaper to add husband on, but I don't let him drive it hahaha

women are safer drivers so the premium should increase when you add your husband!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants