Car Insurance comparison sites

Found 9th Mar 2011
I'm currently looking for a new car and have been for a month or so - I've been using money supermarket ( despite the terrible advert and jingle)

Anyway ive probably done over 100 quotes checking many different cars to see if i can afford it - but a few weeks ago prices started to rise from £900 to £3000.

Admiral, elephant, bell and churchill were suddenly unable to quote me at this time. Right so get this - i change my name and no difference i change my dob to 1 day before and the price drops back to £900.

I'm wondering if i have somehow been blacklisted with my dob and name so that i cant get another quote???

I'm really annoyed as im looking at a car today and cant print off a quote to have to hand to work out my finances. Yes i could ring them up and do another quote but the whole point of a comparison site is that it saves me that hassle.

Im wondering if i delete my money supermaket account my record will be clean?? But i also check go comapre and other sites and the said companies still dont quote me - i know its not my age because im with admiral now and the car ive picked is only group 14.

Any ideas

Daniel

19 Comments

Insurance companies stop you doing the same quote yourself so that you dont realise your renewal is above what it should be. I always change my DOB to 1 day younger and re-quote, then I go back and get the cheaper price from them with no arguments at all. If other companies are stopping hte quote they are probably from the same insurance group.
It wont be anything about you..so dont worry

Are you old enough to drive?

smashed

Insurance companies stop you doing the same quote yourself so that you … Insurance companies stop you doing the same quote yourself so that you dont realise your renewal is above what it should be. I always change my DOB to 1 day younger and re-quote, then I go back and get the cheaper price from them with no arguments at all. If other companies are stopping hte quote they are probably from the same insurance group.It wont be anything about you..so dont worry

You change your DOB, Doesn't that make your insurance invalid?

No, you change it by 1 day so that it will give you a quote with your existing insurer online. YOu then phone up and say ...
I was quoted X in renewal but I just did an online quote , quote no xyz, and found that it was £100 cheaper. The only difference that I changed was the date to make myself 1 day younger.

They cant really argue that. And if they ever did, whivch they won't, you would do the quote for you being 1 day older too... and when both sides come back cheaper they really could not argue it.
Edited by: "smashed" 9th Mar 2011

smashed

No, you change it by 1 day so that it will give you a quote with your … No, you change it by 1 day so that it will give you a quote with your existing insurer online. YOu then phone up and say ...I was quoted X in renewal but I just did an online quote , quote no xyz, and found that it was £100 cheaper. The only difference that I changed was the date to make myself 1 day younger.....They cant really argue that. And if they ever did, whivch they won't, you would do the quote for you being 1 day older too... and when both sides come back cheaper they really could not argue tit.

Whats the insult for? I only asked a question!

If I had someone use my facilities for over 100 car quotes I'd probably do something to discourage them too!

hahaha X)

jonny619447

jonny619447

lol..typo..meant to be it (though must have re-worded my sentence because i is not near t)

smashed

lol..typo..meant to be it (though must have re-worded my sentence because … lol..typo..meant to be it (though must have re-worded my sentence because i is not near t)

Ok, cool. Yeah sounds a good idea. My quotes are getting silly now. Going to try your method, Nothing to lose

If you are under 25 (and def if you are under 21) then it is a lot cheaper to add a parent as a named driver, even if you dont plan for them to use it. Adding 2 people will be more expensive so pick the least expensive option. If your parents dont drive then another mature adult with a clean record will still make it a lot cheaper - do it even if you are never even going to let them in the car.

Original Poster

smashed

If you are under 25 (and def if you are under 21) then it is a lot … If you are under 25 (and def if you are under 21) then it is a lot cheaper to add a parent as a named driver, even if you dont plan for them to use it. Adding 2 people will be more expensive so pick the least expensive option. If your parents dont drive then another mature adult with a clean record will still make it a lot cheaper - do it even if you are never even going to let them in the car.

I'm 21 on multi car - jsut rang up admiral and they quoted me £60 cheaper than on moneysupermarket so quids in

Banned

dandoc2

I'm 21 on multi car - jsut rang up admiral and they quoted me £60 cheaper … I'm 21 on multi car - jsut rang up admiral and they quoted me £60 cheaper than on moneysupermarket so quids in

whats 'multi car'?

Not fronting in disguise

Ive Just had this happen to me, its crazy lol.

Ive heard of the same sort of thing happening with holidays whereby if u keep search more than once its shows how interested you are and puts the price up.
Cheers for the idea of using a slight change in dob, i guess u have to use a different email address as well.

Original Poster

Number1One

Ive Just had this happen to me, its crazy lol.Ive heard of the same sort … Ive Just had this happen to me, its crazy lol.Ive heard of the same sort of thing happening with holidays whereby if u keep search more than once its shows how interested you are and puts the price up.Cheers for the idea of using a slight change in dob, i guess u have to use a different email address as well.

Nope its just the dob with the name

Original Poster

csiman

whats 'multi car'? Not fronting in disguise

Nope never - multi car is everyone is under one policy so saves them paperwork - also means that the no claims and years of driving get shared between the people. My first car was a 1994 mini cost me £2200 independantly at 18 - then i paid £200 for a 2003 renault clio independantly - Went on multi car the following year went down to £880 and recently was £750 - Now just bought a 2004 mini cooper s and that is only £850 on multi car but £2000 elsewhere - Im 21 and been driving 3 years with 3 years NCB so at the moment with multi car im ok.

Best thing is its min 2 cars and you dont have to live at the same address just immediate family - Could have like 10 people on policy i suppose !

why does adding another person to the policy bring the quotes down. Just tried this with Mrs Scoff's and it has dropped it quite a bit. I added my name to her policy (never asked anything about my no claims) and the price dropped....... why?

Original Poster

scoff

why does adding another person to the policy bring the quotes down. Just … why does adding another person to the policy bring the quotes down. Just tried this with Mrs Scoff's and it has dropped it quite a bit. I added my name to her policy (never asked anything about my no claims) and the price dropped....... why?

It's more to do with who can afford to pay for the damage - if you have 3 people on your policy they are liable for your payments if you don't pay so they are securing their money.

Banned

dandoc2

It's more to do with who can afford to pay for the damage - if you have 3 … It's more to do with who can afford to pay for the damage - if you have 3 people on your policy they are liable for your payments if you don't pay so they are securing their money.

nah, thats not right surely. Premiums are paid in advance for each period of cover.

Original Poster

csiman

nah, thats not right surely. Premiums are paid in advance for each period … nah, thats not right surely. Premiums are paid in advance for each period of cover.

Yes but excess etc - im no expert but i thought it was because of that
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Quidco Snow me the money Competition841121
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 45 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
    3. Win Longines Ladies Watch worth £117044
    4. Ending: 03/12 - A giveaway for a £175 Freedom To Exist Watch12

See more discussions