Car Insurance - cooling off period!!

11 replies
Found 18th Sep 2010
My car has been off road (SORN) for a couple of years and should have come out of the garage on the 3/9/10 - problems with it have rendered it undrivable hence the senario below:-

Cancelled car insurance the morning after taking it out on the internet. 3/9/10 (I exercised my right to cancel during the 14 days cooling off period). I had paid £203 and I was going to pay the rest monthly. I followed the instructions of the insurance company and returned the documents to them. (By recorded post, thankfully).

What really bugged me was that the documents were posted 3 days after I had cancelled over the phone.

I'd not received any money back yet, so I rang them this morning. They said they had not received the policy back yet. When I said I had sent them by recorded delivery and I could check on this, she put me on hold and then returned and said, oh yes, we have.

I asked when I could expect the money back, she said that she would have to calculate the costs that had been incurred and that she would get back to me.

When she rang back she said I was due £94.49.

After I had fallen off my chair, I asked why, she said that they had to charge for the insurance up to receiving the policy back, because they didn't know whether I was driving the car or not. (It was actually in the garage, poorly-all the time).

I have asked for a detailed breakdown (excuse the pun) of these charges because I am not happy and wish to take it further.

Please be aware of what could happen.

11 Comments

You are due the full amount back. If they fail to refund you in full then tell them you want a final response letter and will ask the FSA to investigate your complaint.

Yeah, pursue them for the full amount.

StevenA2000_uk

You are due the full amount back. If they fail to refund you in full … You are due the full amount back. If they fail to refund you in full then tell them you want a final response letter and will ask the FSA to investigate your complaint.

Nope you are not entitled to the full amount back, its been insured since 3/9/10 so you its a pro rata amount + cancelation fee.

What insurance company was it ?

Banned

deanos

Nope you are not entitled to the full amount back, its been insured since … Nope you are not entitled to the full amount back, its been insured since 3/9/10 so you its a pro rata amount + cancelation fee.What insurance company was it ?

eh? OP cancelled policy within hours of taking it out

Banned

Seems they are entitled to charge a 'reasonable' amount:-

Policy inception fee, CC handling fee, pro-rata insurance charge based on short term rates, cancellation admin fee, agency commission fee (pro-rata).

So, they can charge you this amount. Maybe you should have tried the car first.

Fees may actually increase more now that you have asked them for more admin work with a detailed breakdown

FSA rules:-

fsahandbook.info/FSA…7/2

Original Poster

Swinton, I'm going to take it to the ombudsman, just for piece of mind as I feel that it was unfair. We'll see, but I can't sit back and do nothing about it.

Its a £50 cancellation charge according to the T+C's + how many days you were insured until they got the policy document back

DId you get any cashback from them as they offer £40 cashback direct and £40 through a cashback site ?

swinton.co.uk/terms/

Rugbymum

Swinton, I'm going to take it to the ombudsman, just for piece of mind as … Swinton, I'm going to take it to the ombudsman, just for piece of mind as I feel that it was unfair. We'll see, but I can't sit back and do nothing about it.

Think you're jumping the gun a bit - ombudsman is the last port of call for this kinda complaint - in fact it's likely they will tell you to exhaust other methods before they look into your case, you're basically only at the stage of awaiting a response from the insurer.

deanos

Its a £50 cancellation charge according to the T+C's + how many days you … Its a £50 cancellation charge according to the T+C's + how many days you were insured until they got the policy document backDId you get any cashback from them as they offer £40 cashback direct and £40 through a cashback site ?http://www.swinton.co.uk/terms/

Not so sure about the highlighted part Deano.

Original Poster

No cashback - I thought that was something to be claimed back at a later date.

My main issue is that I feel that the company has been delaying the cancellation by using unfair tactics, i.e. I cancelled on the phone on the 3rd, the policy was posted from their office on the 6th (why couldn't they have stopped the document being posted). I didn't pick up the policy until the 10th (we don't live at our postal address during the week, we live where we work). I posted it back on the morning of the 11th by recorded delivery. They should have received it on the Monday 13th. (I've checked the tracking of the letter and it was delivered on the Monday).

I feel another delay tactic was when I rang this morning and they said they hadn't yet received it but when I mentioned I'd posted it by recorded, it suddenly turned up. So in other words they got the policy back on the 13th.

Thanks for your concerns, I do appreciate it, I hope this could be a warning to others.

Banned

Rugbymum

No cashback - I thought that was something to be claimed back at a later … No cashback - I thought that was something to be claimed back at a later date.My main issue is that I feel that the company has been delaying the cancellation by using unfair tactics, i.e. I cancelled on the phone on the 3rd, the policy was posted from their office on the 6th (why couldn't they have stopped the document being posted). I didn't pick up the policy until the 10th (we don't live at our postal address during the week, we live where we work). I posted it back on the morning of the 11th by recorded delivery. They should have received it on the Monday 13th. (I've checked the tracking of the letter and it was delivered on the Monday). I feel another delay tactic was when I rang this morning and they said they hadn't yet received it but when I mentioned I'd posted it by recorded, it suddenly turned up. So in other words they got the policy back on the 13th.Thanks for your concerns, I do appreciate it, I hope this could be a warning to others.

cant see any delaying tactics there. You cancelled on friday 3rd by which time it would have been in the automated policy print queue and so got sent out on the 6th

its not swintons fault that you took 4 days to pick it up.

Charges, whilst high are clearly mentioned in the T&C's on their website. I take it you didnt read these.

SWINTON website:-

1) Within the 'cooling off' period
If you cancel your insurance, before the end of the 'cooling off' period, you will be charged by the insurer for the service they have provided up to the point of cancellation. We will also make a cancellation charge of £50. Our New Policy Inception or Policy Renewal service charge and any credit card handling charge made for arranging your insurance will not be refunded.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What is gearbest like on warranty?79
    2. changing a dimmer swith to normal light switch34
    3. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21
    4. Parkopedia, can the info be trusted22

See more discussions