Groups

Car insurance for a 21 year old

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good car insurance companies for new drivers.

I passed my driving test yesterday am looking for quotes for a Citroen Saxo it's only a 1.0L & the quotes I am getting vary between £1800 - £2500

Been looking around on price comparison sites, but do people think it would be best to phone the insurance companies directly?

Thanks guys!

59 Comments

interested in the answers for this thread also....all going well by the end of Oct I will have passed

Its worth getting a pass plus certificate imo as some insurance companies will give a discount if you have one, I bought my certificate from my instructor for £50 and it reduced the premium by nearly 50%

Original Poster

treble99

Its worth getting a pass plus certificate imo as some insurance companies … Its worth getting a pass plus certificate imo as some insurance companies will give a discount if you have one, I bought my certificate from my instructor for £50 and it reduced the premium by nearly 50%

Thanks, I was thinking about doing that especially if it's going to help with the premium

'' CONGRATULATIONS'' on passing your test , cant really help you with insurance advice though as im an 'oldie' haha, but good luck

Ps , Good luck to you Numpty with your forthcomong test
    Edited by: "shopstilldrops" 4th Aug 2010

when my son passed at 19, I was quoted over a grand! but quinn direct were the best ones at the time, he is now 21 and he is with swift cover now at 500 odd. Still ridiculous, but he's my taxi now!

Banned

Is there anybody that can put you on their insurance at your home address?

Swift Cover - Seem to be the best. Expect it to be over a grand tho, but with swift cover you can change the excess and lower the payments.

Put one of your parents on there also. This will lower the premium provided they havent had an accident in the last 5 years.

Original Poster

shopstilldrops

'' CONGRATULATIONS'' on passing your test , cant really help you with … '' CONGRATULATIONS'' on passing your test , cant really help you with insurance advice though as im an 'oldie' haha, but good luck ;)Ps , Good luck to you Numpty with your forthcomong test

Thank you!

bernyrabbit

when my son passed at 19, I was quoted over a grand! but quinn direct … when my son passed at 19, I was quoted over a grand! but quinn direct were the best ones at the time, he is now 21 and he is with swift cover now at 500 odd. Still ridiculous, but he's my taxi now!

Just tried Quinn Direct & got quoted £2764!

DLM

Is there anybody that can put you on their insurance at your home address?

There isn't unfortunately

Give Tesco a go, they were a few hundred quid cheaper for me than the closest other competitor.

It's normally cheaper for girls, have you thought of going for a gender change?

theres no such thing as cheap insurance for new young drivers :P

shopstilldrops

'' CONGRATULATIONS'' on passing your test , cant really help you with … '' CONGRATULATIONS'' on passing your test , cant really help you with insurance advice though as im an 'oldie' haha, but good luck ;)Ps , Good luck to you Numpty with your forthcomong test

thanks

I used go compare the other week and was getting 1 quote at about 1500 and all the rest were over 3k lol I think nearer to the time I'll go down to the local insurance broker and see if they can offer any decent deal

Original Poster

BulldogNo1

It's normally cheaper for girls, have you thought of going for a gender … It's normally cheaper for girls, have you thought of going for a gender change?

I will give it a pass thanks
    DLM

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

Thanks, I will check it out

shopstilldrops

^^^^^all of this!!!!!

Congrats on passing your test, but do yourself a favour and get rid of the Saxo. I've been there, done that, and you'll spend more time in the garage than you would care to.

Original Poster

xcookx

Congrats on passing your test, but do yourself a favour and get rid of … Congrats on passing your test, but do yourself a favour and get rid of the Saxo. I've been there, done that, and you'll spend more time in the garage than you would care to.

Thanks, I can't complain it didn't cost me a penny

livingthelife07

Thanks, I can't complain it didn't cost me a penny

21 and a thief, tut tut

Swift cover!

Original Poster

aircanman

Swift cover!

Thank you just checked with them came to just over £1200 which has been the cheapest so far

BulldogNo1

It's normally cheaper for girls, have you thought of going for a gender … It's normally cheaper for girls, have you thought of going for a gender change?

Sorry, not trying to be sexist. But I don't actually understand why insurance would be cheaper for a "girl" or a young inexperienced woman.

The premium is calculated (very basically) on what are the chances of the proposer having an accident or making a claim etc...

Not going to say anything else...

Try these - nfuonline.com/ and add a parent on to reduce risk.

do you have anyone that you can put on your insurance as a second driver, (even if they have no intention of ever driving the car) that is old or has clean license? its not a known act but this also brings your insurance down as your less likely to drink drive etc!!

mus_ne

Sorry, not trying to be sexist. But I don't actually understand why … Sorry, not trying to be sexist. But I don't actually understand why insurance would be cheaper for a "girl" or a young inexperienced woman. The premium is calculated (very basically) on what are the chances of the proposer having an accident or making a claim etc...Not going to say anything else...

because women are seen as good drivers and less likely to be fast and 'boy racers'

its double standards BS

you can try insurethebox 6000miles, then you can pay for more

mus_ne

Sorry, not trying to be sexist. But I don't actually understand why … Sorry, not trying to be sexist. But I don't actually understand why insurance would be cheaper for a "girl" or a young inexperienced woman. The premium is calculated (very basically) on what are the chances of the proposer having an accident or making a claim etc...Not going to say anything else...

Simply because they present a lesser risk than young male young drivers.

congrats on passing LTL, drive safe and the insurance comes down eventually... have fun in your new car

I'm 18 and got my corsa 1.2 sxi 2001 insured in my own name on AVIVA for £1,700.

All other quotes were £3,000+...try them

ScRiVs

I'm 18 and got my corsa 1.2 sxi 2001 insured in my own name on AVIVA for … I'm 18 and got my corsa 1.2 sxi 2001 insured in my own name on AVIVA for £1,700.All other quotes were £3,000+...try them

Holy **** comes to mind, even @ £1700, what's the car worth? Noone you live with that is over 30 that can be a named secondary driver?

The comments about insurance being cheaper for girls is not 100% true. Most insurance companies these days do not ask the male/female question.

Swift cover are usually the cheapest, followed closely by tesco value car insurance. The other person you put on the policy doesnt need to be living with you, it could be anyone really as long as they are happy to be on there. Its no skin off their nose either.

My son went with Swinton- (at the time he was 19) £1,100. He tried all the price comparison website (ridiculous amounts!) then rang a few local brokers-result! It may be worth a few phone calls if you can save some wonga.

Banned

inb4 someone recommends putting a parent down as the main driver thus no insurance cover at all lol

csiman

inb4 someone recommends putting a parent down as the main driver thus no … inb4 someone recommends putting a parent down as the main driver thus no insurance cover at all lol

Damn you, i was poised at the ready to type "fronting!"

numptyj

because women are seen as good drivers and less likely to be fast and … because women are seen as good drivers and less likely to be fast and 'boy racers'its double standards BS

That's total and utter BS.

At least young male drivers or 'Boy Racers' can control and handle there car in any given circumstance.

Why is it that every time or 99% of the time when I see something ridiculous as I'm riding away on my motorbike, it's always a woman sitting behind the wheel?

I hate insurance companies.

Banned

i used to be £1400 on my car 5 years ago

now its £383 5 years later with 1st central

Banned

mus_ne

That's total and utter BS.At least young male drivers or 'Boy Racers' can … That's total and utter BS.At least young male drivers or 'Boy Racers' can control and handle there car in any given circumstance. Why is it that every time or 99% of the time when I see something ridiculous as I'm riding away on my motorbike, it's always a woman sitting behind the wheel? I hate insurance companies.

is that why i see mangled wrecks at the side of the road 7/10 its a young lad thinking he invincible when driving few days later parents etc at funeral boy racers and young drivers are highest cause of crashes in the uk today with cars not to mention bikers they drive dangerously and deserve to donate there organs
    Edited by: "dj_urban" 5th Aug 2010

Banned

mus_ne

That's total and utter BS.At least young male drivers or 'Boy Racers' can … That's total and utter BS.At least young male drivers or 'Boy Racers' can control and handle there car in any given circumstance. Why is it that every time or 99% of the time when I see something ridiculous as I'm riding away on my motorbike, it's always a woman sitting behind the wheel? I hate insurance companies.

quote are based on decades of statistical analysis. Young male drivers are far more likely to have an accident than young female drivers.

This doesnt mean to say that on AVERAGE, young female drivers are better drivers; just that the nutters in that age group tend to be male. I think it goes without saying that men have better spatial awareness and are therefore better drivers in general.

Banned

Young male drivers

Young male drivers have much higher crash rates than young female drivers due to higher risk taking. [7] In the UK, young male drivers aged 17-20 are seven times more at risk than all male drivers - but between the hours of 2am and 5am their risk is 17 times higher. [8]

brake.org.uk/you…cts

Have you tried direct line? I started with them when I was 22 (I think) and they were the cheapest by far. I don't think they're on gocompare or anything like that, so you'll need to go to their website or phone them....

My daughter saved a few hundred on her insurance by adding me as a named driver. Have you anyone that you can add?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!33
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?611
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424014473
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826350

See more discussions