Car insurance for newbies

Posted 8th Feb
Hi anyone no any cheap insurance for newly passed drivers
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I just dont understand why the UK has to insurance every single driver. It should just insure the car so everyone who has a licence can drive it ! They are just making so much money!!!
25 Comments
There is no cheap insurance for new drivers, go on confused.com or similar it searches many companies and you'll get an idea of what it will cost, I'd imagine 2-5 thousand per year depending on the car and area you live in
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 8th Feb
it’s been ages since I drove, but look at the classic car insurance websites

some of them do normal car insurance, AdrianFlux I think does

I’ll try and remember who I was with
Can't believe how dear car insurance is , I'm 57, had my licence 30 years and for a small car cheapest I could find was £660, I was expecting around £400 max.. decided against it, ...
Go on comparison sites like compare the market or confused.com.
Confused is personally what has worked for me best the past few years. I have been driving for 3 years and I am 25 now.
A black box policy will always be the cheapest option for new/young drivers. However I paid around £2000 without a black box for my first ever business policy on a Jeep Compass.
Also do different mileage and try wording your job title differently as certain insurance companies may have different key words.

I have always had business insurance as my job makes me need it and I paid around £900 Jan 2019 on an Alfa Romeo Giulietta and £500 in Jan 2020 with the AA with Alfa. 0 voluntary excess and £100 compulsory.
Being over 25, 3 years no claims - so it does go down with age/time.
If you have access to another vehicle (me company van) it took it down also.

Be aware that if you are under (I think) 25 then majority of companies will apply an extra £200 compulsory excess which normally doesn't show up on the comparison sites.
For example site shows £50 vol, £200 comp, if in certain age group when you take out the policy - in small print - it will say certain age group £x comp excess applies meaning you'd pay that on top of the amount (£200) in the first place which can turn into £500 very easily so watch out.
Hence why I always keep my voluntary at £0. Normally only puts your insurance up for the year like £10.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 8th Feb
Rune_2H08/02/2020 16:22

Comment deleted

I'm no good at the hoo-hahing, I always cave in... I have zero no claims bonus and I know my job as a del driver goes against me as I've tried diff quotes using a diff job, also been single seems to bump it up a bit.. I've only used the comparison sites so far
Edited by: "malnuman" 8th Feb
I just dont understand why the UK has to insurance every single driver. It should just insure the car so everyone who has a licence can drive it ! They are just making so much money!!!
malnuman08/02/2020 16:57

I'm no good at the hoo-hahing, I always cave in... I have zero no …I'm no good at the hoo-hahing, I always cave in... I have zero no claims bonus and I know my job as a del driver goes against me as I've tried diff quotes using a diff job, also been single seems to bump it up a bit.. I've only used the comparison sites so far

Do you use your own vehicle or a company vehicle for your deliveries?
Also if you have been driving for 30 years why do you have zero no claims bonus? Have you had a lot of accidents? Cause that could bump it up higher than someone with a no claims bonus as the same age.

A mix between 3 years no claims and age has took me down around £1500 since I started driving 3 years ago as my job title, address and mileage hasn't changed.
malnuman08/02/2020 16:13

Can't believe how dear car insurance is , I'm 57, had my licence 30 …Can't believe how dear car insurance is , I'm 57, had my licence 30 years and for a small car cheapest I could find was £660, I was expecting around £400 max.. decided against it, ...

Have a look at Bymiles, my quote last year was over £800 due to moving.
Went to Bymiles and paid £170 plus 3.2p a mile, after getting a referral and £50 of free miles it’s cost less than £250 for the year.
Fully comp protected bonus hire car etc.
-Will-08/02/2020 16:56

Comment deleted

If its your car or you're the main driver then that is fraud. 'fronting'
Ana1008/02/2020 17:02

I just dont understand why the UK has to insurance every single driver. It …I just dont understand why the UK has to insurance every single driver. It should just insure the car so everyone who has a licence can drive it ! They are just making so much money!!!

That could never work if you think about it
-Will-08/02/2020 16:56

Comment deleted

Might as well not bothered having insurance as the insurer wouldn't have paid any claim. Its illegal too,
Cloeeez08/02/2020 17:05

Do you use your own vehicle or a company vehicle for your deliveries?Also …Do you use your own vehicle or a company vehicle for your deliveries?Also if you have been driving for 30 years why do you have zero no claims bonus? Have you had a lot of accidents? Cause that could bump it up higher than someone with a no claims bonus as the same age.A mix between 3 years no claims and age has took me down around £1500 since I started driving 3 years ago as my job title, address and mileage hasn't changed.

I not had my own car now for bout 20 odd yrs, I've been in jobs where I have had the company van just to commute to and from work.. its just lately I've had a bit if extra cash so was looking at buying a cheap small car,
bigwheels08/02/2020 17:08

Have a look at Bymiles, my quote last year was over £800 due to …Have a look at Bymiles, my quote last year was over £800 due to moving.Went to Bymiles and paid £170 plus 3.2p a mile, after getting a referral and £50 of free miles it’s cost less than £250 for the year.Fully comp protected bonus hire car etc.

Thanks, never heard of them, I will take a look, I won't be doing lot of miles anyhow
malnuman08/02/2020 17:38

Thanks, never heard of them, I will take a look, I won't be doing …Thanks, never heard of them, I will take a look, I won't be doing lot of miles anyhow

When you get a quote find a car the same as yours and use that reg. Use you age etc but a different name.
So if you want to go with them you can use a referral code. Then get free miles.
-Will-08/02/2020 16:57

Comment deleted

Na I'm one of them people that just can't haggle, .. 220 is great, that's more like it!
bigwheels08/02/2020 17:08

Have a look at Bymiles, my quote last year was over £800 due to …Have a look at Bymiles, my quote last year was over £800 due to moving.Went to Bymiles and paid £170 plus 3.2p a mile, after getting a referral and £50 of free miles it’s cost less than £250 for the year.Fully comp protected bonus hire car etc.

Just looked, no good for me I'm afraid, they can only insure people with at least one years no claims, pity, it's looks like it could be cheaper for low mileage users
Edited by: "malnuman" 8th Feb
malnuman08/02/2020 17:46

Just looked, they can only insure people with at least one years no …Just looked, they can only insure people with at least one years no claims, pity, it's looks like it could be cheaper for low mileage users

Sorry, you know where to look in a year
mas9908/02/2020 17:09

If its your car or you're the main driver then that is fraud. …If its your car or you're the main driver then that is fraud. 'fronting'

Yes, That's not really a good idea.

Better option would be to be the main driver and policy holder but add an experienced friend/family member or even the Queen as a named driver, That does decrease lot's of peoples insurance etc.. also get to build up your no claims and it's perfectly legal and wouldn't void your insurance.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 8th Feb
bigwheels08/02/2020 17:47

Sorry, you know where to look in a year

Yeah, I will keep that company in mind
chocci08/02/2020 17:13

That could never work if you think about it

It does work in other countries like Switzerland, France and most countries why would it not work here?
Ana1008/02/2020 17:02

I just dont understand why the UK has to insurance every single driver. It …I just dont understand why the UK has to insurance every single driver. It should just insure the car so everyone who has a licence can drive it ! They are just making so much money!!!

Its a biggest scam!
mas9908/02/2020 17:09

If its your car or you're the main driver then that is fraud. …If its your car or you're the main driver then that is fraud. 'fronting'

*Rolls eyes*
Ana1008/02/2020 18:17

It does work in other countries like Switzerland, France and most …It does work in other countries like Switzerland, France and most countries why would it not work here?

So I could have 3 drink driving convictions and drive a bugatti veyron in France as the car will have insurance for anyone?
Edited by: "chocci" 8th Feb
chocci08/02/2020 19:47

So I could have 3 drink driving convictions and drive a bugatti veyron in …So I could have 3 drink driving convictions and drive a bugatti veyron in France as the car will have insurance for anyone?

They have a licence so you would get points removed from you licence.
They have a whole different system which seem way better.
I found that around the rural areas of Scotland car insurance is significantly cheaper. So I now know a guy and use his address instead
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants