Car insurance for young drivers

Found 11th Sep 2017
Evening all

Looking for car insurance for my eldest who is going to start learning to drive and then hopefully driving his car when he's passed his tests.
Seems that I can add him to my insurance for around £50 a month as a learner driver while he's learning, but once he passes his test, it gets silly
I know all cases are different and no two quotes are going to be the same, just wondered if anyone had any recommendations or suggestions as to where to look?
The prices seem to change almost daily!
Thought I would ask, thanks guys (and gals)
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Moneysavingexpert takes you through this maze. There is no straightforward answer, but generally a reasonably modern Group1/2 car plus blackbox plus an experienced driver named on the policy gives the best result.
Use gocompare, msm, confused - then start going direct from the lowest quotes you got for each.

From there call each company, tell them you got 100 cheaper somewhere else - see what they can do etc.

Works for me every year, do my dads as well.
"Seems that I can add him to my insurance for around £50 a month as a learner driver while he's learning, but once he passes his test, it gets silly"
So when he passes are you looking for insurance for him as you state in the title or will he still be added to your insurance? Will he have his own car?
Original Poster
MIDURIX2 h, 32 m ago

"Seems that I can add him to my insurance for around £50 a month as a …"Seems that I can add him to my insurance for around £50 a month as a learner driver while he's learning, but once he passes his test, it gets silly"So when he passes are you looking for insurance for him as you state in the title or will he still be added to your insurance? Will he have his own car?

Its going to be his car when he passes his test.
it would be in his name now but he can't "own" a car until he's 17 according to the insurance comparisons I've looked at so it's looking like I'm having the car in my name for now.
will have to sell it to him when he passes his test and he can then have his own insurance policy on it.
I've got my car, but it's automatic so don't want him learning in that.
other half has her car but that's far too powerful, can't even add him to her policy until he's 25!
so we're/he's buying a car to learn to drive in, when he starts, which won't be for a month at least but time flies
Its over £5k to add the car and him to my policy so wasn't doing that
Son just passed and taken his own insurance on his own car he went with coop insurance and had a black box fitted its costing him 2500 but 18000 miles a year is bunking the price up more than it should be
Edited by: "ding" 11th Sep 2017
You'll be paying an arm and a leg for the first year after he passes.

To reduce it get the cheapest to insure car, add as many named drivers as possible and get a black box.
It still isn't going to be cheap by a long shot, but will get cheap each year assuming they don't have to claim.
if he is going to own his own car when he is 17 and will be learning in his own car then try here for short term learner insurance in his own name so wont affect your no claims should anything happen, cost the son 42 quid a month on a 57 plate grande punto 1.9 diesel sporting
As I was keen to get on the road at 17, I passed my car test but then used the entitlement to drive a 50cc Scooter for the first few years, then at 20 my insurance was much cheaper also helped by the fact I had held a licence for over 3 years, scooter was only costing me £120 a year to insure, £16 per year road tax and £5 to fill the tank, also as I was using my car licence it gave me full moped entitlement so no need for L plates and I could carry a passenger. I think now though you have to do at least 1 CBT course to activate your moped entitlement.
This type of question pops up on here from what time to time and many users recommend Wearemarmaladeco.uk for learner drivers and newly qualified drivers
I got my cheapest quote through admiral little black box or bell do good insurance quotes. Worth a look. The age will impact the price I was 21 when I started
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants