Expired

Car insurance going up by £100 for changing address

Found 9th Oct 2017
My insurance premium is going from £680 to £790 because I’m changing Address!

All other arrangements are the same (parking etc) and the new address is about a mile from my old one (first 4 postcode digits are the same if that makes any difference).

Is there a genuine reason for this or are they trying to rip me off? Going to ring up tomorrow but I’d like to understand exactly what my options/rights are if they give me an answer I’m not happy with.

Company is general accident.

Cheers

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

There's not much you can do, the risk address is a big rating factor unfortunately. It's all statistics with insurance. So regardless how short a distance it is from the other address, if stats say it has more claims etc then you pay more. Try getting insurance in London you can pay 500% more on your insurance in some areas.

In theory you could just not change it and wait until renewal if it's close. If by chance your car was hit parked outside your new house you could just say you was visiting someone. Or you could shop about, but if you're not at your renewal they will charge you to cancel and you won't get the 1 years no claims bonus.

The postcode is one part of what determines any increases but some insurance firms will charge an administration fee (potentially around £35) onto any increase.

It's hard to say for sure but go on a comparison site and do a search for your circumstances with your old postcode and your new one and compare the differences. It might have a high premium for a reason.

try changing just the house number and see what they charge you. you will know if they are ripping you off

Your options are change companies. Happened to us when we moved last year. Just cancelled and started with another insurer.

JohnnyRoller8 h, 6 m ago

There's not much you can do, the risk address is a big rating factor …There's not much you can do, the risk address is a big rating factor unfortunately. It's all statistics with insurance. So regardless how short a distance it is from the other address, if stats say it has more claims etc then you pay more. Try getting insurance in London you can pay 500% more on your insurance in some areas.In theory you could just not change it and wait until renewal if it's close. If by chance your car was hit parked outside your new house you could just say you was visiting someone. Or you could shop about, but if you're not at your renewal they will charge you to cancel and you won't get the 1 years no claims bonus.

That would be insurance fraud.

Gordonc196047 m ago

That would be insurance fraud.

Maybe, however they can't prove otherwise. The same as someone parks their car at a university address but holds their home address as the risk address. It is what it is, you could park there 50% of the time at both. They can't prove that it's not accurate. The same as adding a driver that will never drive the car to bring the price down. You just have to be smart about what you do, and only change the things they can't prove.

Where you live does have an impact on price charged. The higher they rate the area for risk the more they charge.

That's nothing, when I moved to a new address just like yourself, first 4 digits of postcode were exactly the same. I moved literally around the corner, iv lived in this area all my life a whole 22 years. The house I loved to from my old house has a drive way unlike my last I was parked on the road. I have gates etc for security... I phoned my insurance to change my address only to be told my insurance has now gone up by £1142.. I was absolutely flabbergasted only this is my first year of driving my insurance was £1695 originally. Got my dad to do the talking on the phone only to be told they will
Charge my dad £86 for address change. So because I'm a young woman they thought they could take advantage. DO NOT USE **INSURE THE BOX**.

I wonder if your premium would have gone down £100 if you had moved in the other direction? Anyone ever had this?

Laurenjadee9455 m ago

That's nothing, when I moved to a new address just like yourself, first 4 …That's nothing, when I moved to a new address just like yourself, first 4 digits of postcode were exactly the same. I moved literally around the corner, iv lived in this area all my life a whole 22 years. The house I loved to from my old house has a drive way unlike my last I was parked on the road. I have gates etc for security... I phoned my insurance to change my address only to be told my insurance has now gone up by £1142.. I was absolutely flabbergasted only this is my first year of driving my insurance was £1695 originally. Got my dad to do the talking on the phone only to be told they willCharge my dad £86 for address change. So because I'm a young woman they thought they could take advantage. DO NOT USE **INSURE THE BOX**.

Useful to know. Many thanks for info.

Van197334 m ago

I wonder if your premium would have gone down £100 if you had moved in the …I wonder if your premium would have gone down £100 if you had moved in the other direction? Anyone ever had this?

not likely

i've never had a mid term adjustment lower my insurance, not even dropping down 8 insurance groups on my car

JohnnyRoller2 h, 0 m ago

Maybe, however they can't prove otherwise. The same as someone parks their …Maybe, however they can't prove otherwise. The same as someone parks their car at a university address but holds their home address as the risk address. It is what it is, you could park there 50% of the time at both. They can't prove that it's not accurate. The same as adding a driver that will never drive the car to bring the price down. You just have to be smart about what you do, and only change the things they can't prove.

The problem is that you need to be contactable at the listed address. I wouldn’t want to give them any excuse not to pay out for the sake of 100 quid

Dannyrobbo15 m ago

The problem is that you need to be contactable at the listed address. I …The problem is that you need to be contactable at the listed address. I wouldn’t want to give them any excuse not to pay out for the sake of 100 quid

You can have 2 different addresses, your contact address and your risk address (where your car is kept). It is like this as some people have there car kept at work etc.

Edit: I worked for insurance and know exactly what can and can't be manipulated. As I said I would only not change it if it was close to renewal. However it is something they can't prove (the risk address needs to be the main location the car is kept, more than 50%) this could be your "mum's", "nans" or wherever is cheapest. Who is to say otherwise, they don't have a camera to prove where it's kept overnight etc.
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 9th Oct 2017

JohnnyRoller49 m ago

You can have 2 different addresses, your contact address and your risk …You can have 2 different addresses, your contact address and your risk address (where your car is kept). It is like this as some people have there car kept at work etc.Edit: I worked for insurance and know exactly what can and can't be manipulated. As I said I would only not change it if it was close to renewal. However it is something they can't prove (the risk address needs to be the main location the car is kept, more than 50%) this could be your "mum's", "nans" or wherever is cheapest. Who is to say otherwise, they don't have a camera to prove where it's kept overnight etc.

While that may be true however you can’t use your old address if proved you’d invalidate your insurance

I recently took out car insurance but during my quote I thought I’d give it a try to see how much as curiosity it would cost at my parents. The price went up by £100 despite my parents is much better area. I received a call from the insurance company to say they know I’ve quoted for 2 addresses and was told I won’t be insured for parking my car at my parents. I was shocked. I was told by making the adjustments and adding a second address it would be £130. I knew this was not right. So I told her I will book another insurance online and will call back to cancel the one I took out. At this point I was offered free cancellation if I took another with them. I looked online and for the same insurance the price went up by £200. So I thought ok I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and pay £130. Spoke to an operator who looked at the notes and he read out £130 quoted for second address. He put me on hold and came back and told me he made the changes and including the admin fee it would cost me £32. So obviously I snapped his hands and said yes that’s great.

What makes no sense is how they can quote prices of such difference. It’s crazy. I suggest you speak to someone else and see if they are reasonable in offering correct price or you could do an online quote to see what you could be expected to pay for 12 month premium.

Just had to ring my insurer as we moved last week and for the two cars there was a £105 & £180 increases. Also had to pay a £25 admin charge on both(£50) She wouldn't even let me get a new quotes elsewhere without adding the admin fees as I had informed her we'd moved. So if I did find somewhere cheaper I would have had admin fees plus cancellation fees on top. Grrr. luckily whilst I was on hold I did do a quick confused.com and cheapest premiums were still £200+ more than what I now have to pay. Cheeky gits

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. I haven’t called yet but I will update this thread with the result.

Original Poster

From the horror stories I’m seeing on here, £100 doesn’t actually seem that bad any more lol. Especially when it can all be done online without arguing with customer services. I’m going to have a look at some quotes and decide what to do. Might be that the hassle of cancelling and signing up with someone else for a slightly cheaper price isn’t worth it. Thanks again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants