Groups

Car Insurance Group

I am wondering how the car insurance group thing works. I am 19 and can be insured on a car in the insurance group 24, but not any higher I think( havent checked), However when I look for quoes on a car in group 28, I can't be given a quote. I will have had my licence for 2 years in May, and will turn 20 in August. When will I be able to get quotes for cars in insurance groups 28 and up.

10 Comments

Generally once you hit 21 insurers will consider cars in higher groups. That said if you really want to get insured on a higher group car now you probably can, but you'd have to use an insurance broker like Adrian Flux etc.

higher the insurance group then a higher risk according to the Insurance firms as a whole. They'll take on the risk but charge you for it.

insurance group is only 1 of many factors when quoting an insurance premium, i.e. cars in group 22 are more expensive for me to insure than group 30 so dont take the insurance group as a direct indication of cost.

also, just check other insurers. Aviva wouldnt cover me on a group 30 car but Axa will, and at a comparatively cheap price

insurance blags my head,its cheaper for me,(2 years driving 2 years no claims )to insure a lotus elise or an audi a4 than it is to insure a renault scenic or nissan note,one of the highest quotes ive had recently was for a toyota yaris--that genuinley would cost me more than a lotus?

Because driving a lotus etc you'd be more careful with it (ie those drivers have fewer accidents) than if you had a £300 2.0 Mondeo for example

violentj

insurance blags my head,its cheaper for me,(2 years driving 2 years no … insurance blags my head,its cheaper for me,(2 years driving 2 years no claims )to insure a lotus elise or an audi a4 than it is to insure a renault scenic or nissan note,one of the highest quotes ive had recently was for a toyota yaris--that genuinley would cost me more than a lotus?

​insurance is based on statistics so presumably a far lower percentage of claims involve a lotus elise than a renault scenic (fairly obviously)

violentj

insurance blags my head,its cheaper for me,(2 years driving 2 years no … insurance blags my head,its cheaper for me,(2 years driving 2 years no claims )to insure a lotus elise or an audi a4 than it is to insure a renault scenic or nissan note,one of the highest quotes ive had recently was for a toyota yaris--that genuinley would cost me more than a lotus?

I bought a new Yaris five years ago because at the time the first years insurance was free so was effectively a discount of a grand and a half for me with my no claims. In the second year Toyota wanted six grand to insure me. When I rang them thinking it was a mistake they just said it was their price they used when they don't really want to insure you and wished me the best of luck in going elsewhere. To this day not had a quote remotely like it. Had no prior accidents, had my license for four years it was just I hadn't built up a no claims bonus.

adamspencer95

insurance is based on statistics so presumably a far lower percentage of … insurance is based on statistics so presumably a far lower percentage of claims involve a lotus elise than a renault scenic (fairly obviously)

makes the insurance grouping irrelevant a bit then doesn't it.genuinely feels like a lucky dip sometimes

violentj

makes the insurance grouping irrelevant a bit then doesn't it.genuinely … makes the insurance grouping irrelevant a bit then doesn't it.genuinely feels like a lucky dip sometimes

​yeah it sort of is. its 1 of many factors so its influence can sometimes be very small. its all about statistics so if one car is involved in more accidents involving a driver with similar conditions, itll mean you pay more.

for example, for some young newer drivers, its cheaper to insure a 1.8 mondeo than a 1.2 corsa as fewer young people crash mondeos. bizzare
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any discount for paultons park?11
      2. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz921
      3. Anything better than allcast?22
      4. Click Get Deal in Android App doesnt open deal11

See more discussions