Groups

Car insurance - is it worth getting legal protection?

I have fully comp, just renewed. Never got legal protection - should I have? They just called and asked if I wanted it?

17 Comments

personally. yes.

In my experience, yes, as they would pursue your uninsured losses (in my case the excess) from the other party even if it's a no fault claim.

definately xxx

&
    personally no....
    I suggest that you check out what your insurance company is actually offering for a fee, then have a ]read of this site and see what you get for free. This should allow you to reach a sensible conclusion.

I've never bothered with it, I never buy extended warranties either, Danger is my middle name.

If they rung you to get you to buy it you can be sure it is more useful to THEM (as they make money out of it) than it is to YOU.

If you are in a trade union you will probably have cover for legal through them. I always buy it...just in case

I always have but this year have decided against it, the price of legal cover seems to have risen dramatically in recent years, and to a large extent the cover is not that great. They will recover your unisured losses only in the event that the accident is not your fault, however in these cases it is usually relatively easy to recover your losses and in most cases they are paid in full, in more complicated cases its possible to retain a solicitor to act on your behalf and part of the claim will include the costs of the solicitors fees. Bearing in mind that your insurance company will have already established liability the rest is fairly straight forward.

Original Poster

Not in trade union....this is what it says on their website:

The premium quoted does not include legal expense cover. Legal expenses cover is available at an additional premium of £35.00 through IGI Legal Services. This entitles you to a maximum of £75,000 for all legal costs and expenses in the event of a non-fault claim arising.

Also I am a law student (about to graduate and work at CAB) so know exactly how to pursue a claim myself if needs be, id rather not pay the £35 really

Banned

bestadviceuk.co.uk/leg…tml

This lot were doing legal protection for £4.99 give them a ring.

bargainhunter2009;5245782

Not in trade union....this is what it says on their website:The premium … Not in trade union....this is what it says on their website:The premium quoted does not include legal expense cover. Legal expenses cover is available at an additional premium of £35.00 through IGI Legal Services. This entitles you to a maximum of £75,000 for all legal costs and expenses in the event of a non-fault claim arising.Also I am a law student (about to graduate and work at CAB) so know exactly how to pursue a claim myself if needs be, id rather not pay the £35 really

I used to deal with insurance claims and the last two accidents my husband had I dealt with myself and recovered all our costs, I ended up settling liability quicker than our insurance company did and we were paid quicker too. If you are capable of doing it yourself you may as well save the money,

Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Rep to you all

Banned

I take it out as, although I could do it myself, for £14 a year (through first direct) it saves the hassle if I ever need it.

Original Poster

colinsunderland;5246032

I take it out as, although I could do it myself, for £14 a year (through … I take it out as, although I could do it myself, for £14 a year (through first direct) it saves the hassle if I ever need it.

Thanks, £30 is a bit steep from my insurer though

Without a shadow of a doubt, the average RTA costs about £15,000 upto and including a Part 36 Offer, after this, if you / they don't accept, the costs can escalade and you're personally liable for every penny without insurance, of course a judge can rule in your favour re costs but if a part 36 was made and was reasonable and you don't better it in court you'll be up the creek without a paddle as no judge will support you there, law degree or not!

It's completely irrelevant if you're a law student, have you completed the LPC?? In any event, even if you work for a firm you'll have to pay the costs, or worse, their costs, which you have no control over (bar them being reasonable)!!!

Original Poster

Can I just buy it separately from someone else?

bargainhunter2009;5249470

Can I just buy it separately from someone else?

Can't see why not, but for me the aggro of then having to deal with 2 companies just isn't worth saving £20!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      4. love affairs912

See more discussions