Car insurance - New Driver

Posted 26th Jan
Daughter just passed her test. Any advice/help regarding finding somewhere near reasonable insurance would be appreciated
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Age and post code are the 2 biggest factor.
Go onto comparison sites. Add yourself as second driver.
Newer drivers can also benefit with black box device which monitor driving styles.
24 Comments
Age and post code are the 2 biggest factor.
Go onto comparison sites. Add yourself as second driver.
Newer drivers can also benefit with black box device which monitor driving styles.
First call should be comparison site imo.

Some reduction if you put an experienced parent as second driver or if willing to take the risk of a claim then put her as second driver on the parents insurance, I believe insurance goes down once they're 21 and 25.

Have a look into having a blackbox fitted but do some research on it first, some say really good others disagree.
adamderak26/01/2020 13:26

Age and post code are the 2 biggest factor.Go onto comparison sites. Add …Age and post code are the 2 biggest factor.Go onto comparison sites. Add yourself as second driver.Newer drivers can also benefit with black box device which monitor driving styles.

^ Great advice. Congrats to your daughter, hermano2. Now your worries can really start! Hehe.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 26th Jan
cheers. Did comparison site, fainted, then came here
Oh, and don't forget Aviva and Direct Line - who I don't believe appear on comparison sites. I don't like the latter but Aviva were always good to me.
If relatively low mileage envisaged, one option may be quasi-pay-per-mile bymiles.co.uk/
All the usual tricks can be deployed. How old is your daughter, by the way? Does she have a job and will it's title affect her policy? Try playing around with job title to see if a reduction can be made. Don't be silly though and put something wildly inaccurate as this would invalidate the policy if discovered to be false.

As AndyRoyd mentioned mileage - I'll just point out that I found out recently that some insurers have a "sweet spot" for annual mileage and contrary to popular belief that the lower the mileage, the lower the quote - this isn't strictly true. Many have a bottom limit of 4,000 and go up in 2k increments. The 'average' was generally 10k. People have discovered that 6-8k is better than saying 4k. The reason? At 4k you are considered a 'greater risk' due to lack of driving experience. Basically, play around with the numbers!
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 26th Jan
Bymiles is great for older low milage drivers like me, It has cost me under £300 for the year. £171 fully comp with protected bonus and hire car included. Then I pay 3.2p a mile to drive.
Due to moving this year I have lived in 3 post codes SE, BR and NG no price rises in either post code.
No fees on upto 3 policy changes a year from memory.
People in your family who have age and driving experience, try adding them on as a second driver one by one. Out of all of them one person will have the magical touch that should bring the price down.

So add grandad, take him off, add grandma, take her off, add yourself, take yourself off. I've had a recent insurance price reduced by £1000 (premium went up following a no fault accident) by doing this. Tried everyone I knew. Adding my partners brother did the trick. They don't have to live at the same address and I was completely honest with it.
Tell your daughter to Do the Aviva drive app
(Google it it will explain it all )
Then once done
Add multi car if you have more than one car in household
Saved £1400 on first years insurance through this
LV, esure
I think not on comparison sites
Phsycronix26/01/2020 13:43

All the usual tricks can be deployed. How old is your daughter, by the …All the usual tricks can be deployed. How old is your daughter, by the way? Does she have a job and will it's title affect her policy? Try playing around with job title to see if a reduction can be made. Don't be silly though and put something wildly inaccurate as this would invalidate the policy if discovered to be false.As AndyRoyd mentioned mileage - I'll just point out that I found out recently that some insurers have a "sweet spot" for annual mileage and contrary to popular belief that the lower the mileage, the lower the quote - this isn't strictly true. Many have a bottom limit of 4,000 and go up in 2k increments. The 'average' was generally 10k. People have discovered that 6-8k is better than saying 4k. The reason? At 4k you are considered a 'greater risk' due to lack of driving experience. Basically, play around with the numbers!

Thanks for all that. She is 23 and at Uni
If she hasn't purchased her first car yet , ensure you check the insurance group before she does. It can make a massive difference. Also don't assume that third party fire & theft is cheaper than comprehensive, it's often not the case. As already advised, adding older experienced drivers should result in a significant premium reduction.
hermano226/01/2020 14:04

Thanks for all that. She is 23 and at Uni

...if you're gonna add "and works part time in a pub / entertainment / hospitaility" then give up now
AndyRoyd26/01/2020 13:33

If relatively low mileage envisaged, one option may be quasi-pay-per-mile …If relatively low mileage envisaged, one option may be quasi-pay-per-mile https://www.bymiles.co.uk/

Cheers, tried that and got this "We can only cover drivers with at least one year of No Claims Discount."
hermano226/01/2020 14:27

Cheers, tried that and got this "We can only cover drivers with at least …Cheers, tried that and got this "We can only cover drivers with at least one year of No Claims Discount."

Disappointing, but thanks for the info. Maybe one to re-visit next year.
bigwheels26/01/2020 13:50

Bymiles is great for older low milage drivers like me, It has cost me …Bymiles is great for older low milage drivers like me, It has cost me under £300 for the year. £171 fully comp with protected bonus and hire car included. Then I pay 3.2p a mile to drive.Due to moving this year I have lived in 3 post codes SE, BR and NG no price rises in either post code.No fees on upto 3 policy changes a year from memory.

I think it doesn't cover young drivers last time I got a Qoute if I remember rightly and new drivers so abit pointless.
Surprised that you didn't have a clue on how much insurance if for new drivers there's days, probably more economical to use taxis until she's 25
Edited by: "esar" 26th Jan
I doubt this question has ever been asked before, such a niche topic :p.

Comparison sites are the only way forward really, there is no one insurer who is cheaper than the others in general.
Adding named driver to the policy helps sometimes, playing around with job titles helps as long as you don't bend the truth too far and it ends up being a lie. There is usually a sweet spot of how many miles you need, ie 5000 and 7000 miles may be more expensive than 6000 etc etc.
From what I'm being told by young people I work with the biggest difference is by adding a black box.

All other changes people have mentioned might knock off a few quid here and there but not enough to really bother with trying different optionx, it's having a box installed which makes a difference
My 18 year old student brother got 1 year for £1200 with a black box from ingenie, and was refunded a few hundred for good driving throughout the year (they monitor your driving and reward). Was a few years ago but might be worth a look.
Edited by: "RandomUser42" 27th Jan
Somebody told me if you have a black box and hit a wall or something that they can tell it was an accident, something to note.
Joey.Bloggsy27/01/2020 10:49

Somebody told me if you have a black box and hit a wall or something that …Somebody told me if you have a black box and hit a wall or something that they can tell it was an accident, something to note.

It's called telemetry
Marshmallow insurance is probably going to be the cheapest. They give foreign drivers the lowest rate so would expect it to be the same for new drivers as well. Haven't tried them myself though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants