Expired

CAR INSURANCE PREMIUM AFTER NON FAULT ACCIDENT

Found 8th Oct 2013
Car insurance premium gone up after non fault accident ?

Absolutely ridiculous, so lets all sign this to stop the Insurance companies getting away with it !
epetitions.direct.gov.uk/pet…108
Community Updates
56 Comments
Been like that for years
your fault for telling them.
You are a higher risk to an insurance company as you have been involved in an accident.

Insurance takes a lot of factors into consideration when a quote is given, and whether you have been involved in an accident or not, regardless of if it is your fault or not, is a big factor.

As told to the lady who decided to knock my wing mirror off. She wanted to go through insurance as she had no claims protection. When I told her that the insurance increase in the next year would cost her more than paying for the damage, she soon came to her senses!

My motive was to ensure that my own insurance didn't increase too because of some dozy mare who doesn't know where the brake pedal is and what 'right of way' means!

Not to Blame then "Make that Claim" offset it on the increased prermiums.
A no claims discount is exactly that not no blame.. If your premiums have gone up, take the person who caused the accident to court, claim for uninsured losses.
bubblegum2910

A no claims discount is exactly that not no blame.. If your premiums have … A no claims discount is exactly that not no blame.. If your premiums have gone up, take the person who caused the accident to court, claim for uninsured losses.

Yes, you get your discount for not making a claim, but if you have been involved in an accident then you have an increased risk, even if it isn't your fault. This is separate to a no claims discount, which you will still have in place due to you not making a claim against your own insurance company.
Rating a policy for risk is a different thing to no claims discount. A person who has been involved in a previous accident is seen as a higher risk than someone who hasn't, regardless of blame.

bubblegum2910

A no claims discount is exactly that not no blame.. If your premiums have … A no claims discount is exactly that not no blame.. If your premiums have gone up, take the person who caused the accident to court, claim for uninsured losses.

You cannot claim under uninsured loss as you have not paid any future premiums, theoretically however you could wait the max 3 years then do it possibly?
Oh by the way petition 43108 apparently doesn't exist?
car insurance always increase whenever you make a claim, a claim includes that for non fault. this is why you should buy NCD.
I'm sure a bogus whiplash claim will cover any premium rise, no?
DAMNOME

your fault for telling them.

I had to tell my insurer because the toerag who hit me said he would cover my repairs then gave me the silent treatment hoping I would fade away, as soon as insurance and solicitors got involved he offered to pay my repairs and I foolishly accepted. My premium went from £550 to £800 for a non fault accident, other party admitted liability and no claim was made as it was settled privately. It is clearly more insurance company scamming, I wish I'd insisted on going through the insurance and making a bogus claim for whiplash, it would have covered my inflated premiums for the next few years. Next time I won't be so ethical.
This annoys the hell out of me.
In June, i had been for a nice day out by the sea with my family and were on our way home.
Through absolutely no fault of my own, i was hit head on by 2 tw*ts driving the wrong way down the motorway, trying to escape from the police!
How is it fair that not only did i have to watch my son being cut out of my car, suffered months of pain etc but apparently i'm now also going to be charged more for my policy next year????????
mutley1

car insurance always increase whenever you make a claim, a claim includes … car insurance always increase whenever you make a claim, a claim includes that for non fault. this is why you should buy NCD.

if you mean ncd protection, then this doesnt help

ncd doesnt go down after a non fault claim but your premium will go up even with ncd protection
magough

This annoys the hell out of me.In June, i had been for a nice day out by … This annoys the hell out of me.In June, i had been for a nice day out by the sea with my family and were on our way home.Through absolutely no fault of my own, i was hit head on by 2 tw*ts driving the wrong way down the motorway, trying to escape from the police!How is it fair that not only did i have to watch my son being cut out of my car, suffered months of pain etc but apparently i'm now also going to be charged more for my policy next year????????

its not fair

surely you can claim compensation though
spaceinvader

I had to tell my insurer because the toerag who hit me said he would … I had to tell my insurer because the toerag who hit me said he would cover my repairs then gave me the silent treatment hoping I would fade away, as soon as insurance and solicitors got involved he offered to pay my repairs and I foolishly accepted. My premium went from £550 to £800 for a non fault accident, other party admitted liability and no claim was made as it was settled privately. It is clearly more insurance company scamming, I wish I'd insisted on going through the insurance and making a bogus claim for whiplash, it would have covered my inflated premiums for the next few years. Next time I won't be so ethical.

I work in insurance and its all about risk, insurance companys are more likely to pay out for a fault claim once a non fault claim has been made. Also fraudulent whiplash claims dont help.
welshgirl1978

I work in insurance and its all about risk, insurance companys are more … I work in insurance and its all about risk, insurance companys are more likely to pay out for a fault claim once a non fault claim has been made. Also fraudulent whiplash claims dont help.

Work for Admiral do you?
FearTheBassPlayer

You are a higher risk to an insurance company as you have been involved … You are a higher risk to an insurance company as you have been involved in an accident.Insurance takes a lot of factors into consideration when a quote is given, and whether you have been involved in an accident or not, regardless of if it is your fault or not, is a big factor.As told to the lady who decided to knock my wing mirror off. She wanted to go through insurance as she had no claims protection. When I told her that the insurance increase in the next year would cost her more than paying for the damage, she soon came to her senses!My motive was to ensure that my own insurance didn't increase too because of some dozy mare who doesn't know where the brake pedal is and what 'right of way' means!

Why are you classed as a higher risk if someone has hit you? I don't understand that.

Also, if someone has hit you, just go through their insurance and all is ok. Don't notify your own.
Sebas111

Why are you classed as a higher risk if someone has hit you? I don't … Why are you classed as a higher risk if someone has hit you? I don't understand that. Also, if someone has hit you, just go through their insurance and all is ok. Don't notify your own.

The way that insurance works is that you are a higher risk if you have already been involved in an accident, whether your fault or not.
When you go through a claim it is logged on a register. If you don't declare the accident or claim then if you do need to claim on your insurance, you could find that your current insurance will be invalid and you could be prosecuted for driving without insurance.
FearTheBassPlayer

The way that insurance works is that you are a higher risk if you have … The way that insurance works is that you are a higher risk if you have already been involved in an accident, whether your fault or not.When you go through a claim it is logged on a register. If you don't declare the accident or claim then if you do need to claim on your insurance, you could find that your current insurance will be invalid and you could be prosecuted for driving without insurance.

Are you able to explain the risk assessment that makes you higher risk? This is a genuine question. I cant see the logic in it myself.
Sebas111

Are you able to explain the risk assessment that makes you higher risk? … Are you able to explain the risk assessment that makes you higher risk? This is a genuine question. I cant see the logic in it myself.

Its a simple as if you have had one claim then the risk that you will make another claim increases - thats how all insurers see it
Sebas111

Why are you classed as a higher risk if someone has hit you? I don't … Why are you classed as a higher risk if someone has hit you? I don't understand that. Also, if someone has hit you, just go through their insurance and all is ok. Don't notify your own.

Check your policy.
If you don't tell them you've been in an accident, whether your fault or not, could lead to your policy being declared invalid because you did not inform them.
Just been through a round of bike insurance and they all wanted to know whether I had made any claims against an insurance policy in the last 5 years, not just motor insurance, any insurance!!
FearTheBassPlayer

Its a simple as if you have had one claim then the risk that you will … Its a simple as if you have had one claim then the risk that you will make another claim increases - thats how all insurers see it

But in theory if its a non fault accident then your insurers claim the money back from 3rd party insurers and hence no claim has taken place.
Sebas111

But in theory if its a non fault accident then your insurers claim the … But in theory if its a non fault accident then your insurers claim the money back from 3rd party insurers and hence no claim has taken place.

The experience that insurers have is that after one claim, whether your fault or not, you are more likely to have a fault claim
Sebas111

But in theory if its a non fault accident then your insurers claim the … But in theory if its a non fault accident then your insurers claim the money back from 3rd party insurers and hence no claim has taken place.

For all the insurance company knows, the person how crashed into you could have it in for you and therefore another accident is on the cards.

Just playing devil's advocate.
MadeDixonsCry

For all the insurance company knows, the person how crashed into you … For all the insurance company knows, the person how crashed into you could have it in for you and therefore another accident is on the cards.Just playing devil's advocate.

Not really sure that that is how an insurer would assess risk
Sebas111

It's logical.
FearTheBassPlayer

Work for Admiral do you?

yeah
Sebas111

It really is one of the factors. Claims history makes up a HUGE part of the premium you pay. I've worked in motor claims for 10+ years now and it's ALWAYS been the case. The problem in recent years is the number of fraudsters went through the roof and caused innocent people to pay

However the number of staged accidents and payouts for false injury claims is starting to drop as the industry has got very tough on the scrotes that try to pull off these scams.
DJ1

It really is one of the factors. Claims history makes up a HUGE part of … It really is one of the factors. Claims history makes up a HUGE part of the premium you pay. I've worked in motor claims for 10+ years now and it's ALWAYS been the case. The problem in recent years is the number of fraudsters went through the roof and caused innocent people to pay However the number of staged accidents and payouts for false injury claims is starting to drop as the industry has got very tough on the scrotes that try to pull off these scams.

Bloody hell. I would have never considered that at all. You live and learn. I worked in claims years ago as well lol
welshgirl1978

yeah

You'll be the one I spoke to with the sexy voice then
welshgirl1978

I work in insurance and its all about risk, insurance companys are more … I work in insurance and its all about risk, insurance companys are more likely to pay out for a fault claim once a non fault claim has been made. Also fraudulent whiplash claims dont help.

Whatever you say
A car owner who has had no fault claim is statistically a poorer insurance risk than one that has had no claims.

Take the example of someone having their wing mirror knocked off while parked. Although it may be technically correct that they were 'not at fault', the incident can suggest that they parked or positioned their car in a position that exposed them to the accident.

The best drivers (in terms of insurance risk) are those that not only don't cause accidents, but they also defend against them and protect their property as best possible - these people will see the lowest premium increases each year.
So what about if you DID park sensibly and defesively but some tw*t that's a bad driver comes along and whipe your wing mirror off.
How the hell is it right that you should pay the price for it??
Absolute bl**dy joke!
fold it in when you park?
magough

So what about if you DID park sensibly and defesively but some tw*t … So what about if you DID park sensibly and defesively but some tw*t that's a bad driver comes along and whipe your wing mirror off.How the hell is it right that you should pay the price for it??Absolute bl**dy joke!

It us a bl**dy joke,I lve on quite a busy street,its not just the tw ats in cars I have to worry about but the **** holes that think its funny to kick/snap peoples mirrors off.
I had my car two weeks before someone either hit or pulled the mirror part out!
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 9th Oct 2013
magough

So what about if you DID park sensibly and defesively but some tw*t … So what about if you DID park sensibly and defesively but some tw*t that's a bad driver comes along and whipe your wing mirror off.How the hell is it right that you should pay the price for it??Absolute bl**dy joke!

I agree it is a joke. My car was hit in a disabled parking bay (with PLENTY of space around it) and some idiot either drive head first into my rear passenger quarter or reversed it. Caused £1500 damage, car park CCTV 'conveniently' didn't work, so had to claim on insurance.

Worst part was that I had to declare it on my other car insurance too - it doesn't just stick at the one policy - it is if you have had a claim on ANY policy. If I crash the minibus at work, and the school makes a claim, I have to declare it on my personal insurance, and it will increase because I am a bigger risk because of the claim, just as I was a bigger risk to the insurance company for having parked my car correctly in a disabled bay, and then some idiot came and smacked into me.

Doesn't make it right, it's just that insurance has to be rated some how, and this is the way they choose to do it.

We should have more choice
magough

There are degrees of parking defensibly. The most defensive probably being in your own garage. If your mirror is knocked off, statistically you probably haven't been very defensive. It's most likely you were parallel-parked on a through road.

More defensive parking would have been (in rough order of improvement) on a less busy street, on the road in a cul-de-sac, on a corner of a carpark adjacent to the throughway, in a carparking space between 2 cars, in a carparking space in a corner where one side is protected by a wall / footpath etc.
It is surprising how many people will park less carefully just to save a few extra feet of walking.

So, as tough and unfair it is that someone else might damage your car when parked, most people don't take the best precautions. It's a balancing act between convenience and lowering the risk.
there was a time when no claim discounts meant a good price on insurance, no its just a number on a paper it means naff all and u still end up paying through the nose for the renewal.
the whole way insurance sees risk is flawed and just in place to allow for increase after increase.
if its not a claim then its your postcode, if its not the postcode it some other absurd reason. either way we mugs HAVE to pay as the LAW demands it (welcome to democratic shafting by the police state)
Azztec

there was a time when no claim discounts meant a good price on insurance, … there was a time when no claim discounts meant a good price on insurance, no its just a number on a paper it means naff all and u still end up paying through the nose for the renewal.the whole way insurance sees risk is flawed and just in place to allow for increase after increase.if its not a claim then its your postcode, if its not the postcode it some other absurd reason. either way we mugs HAVE to pay as the LAW demands it (welcome to democratic shafting by the police state)

wtf oO
At the end of the day it's black and white.
I should not have to pay MORE if some idiot hits me through no fault of my own.
It's that simple.
Insurance companies are just rip off merchants.
End of.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants