Groups

Car insurance - proof of no claims question!

Its that upsetting time of year again - the car insurance renewal has just come through.

I have a question though - the "motor renewal confirmation" form i have received from elephant (which acts as proof of no claims bonus) clearly states 2yrs. I have been with elephant for 2 yrs, but the 1st yr I was only a named driver, for which they still offer a no claims bonus.

However, i dont think their NCD for named drivers is valid with other insurance companies, but am unsure?

Practically, the form states 2yrs, so i expect other insurance companies would accept it, but would like to know if anyone actually knows whether its this simple, or if further checks are done?

If i can claim 2yrs elsewhere, i can buy cheaper than elephant, but if not, elephant wins.

I would not like to buy elsewhere and have my 2yrs NCD declined, as typically they would cancel the policy and charge an inflated 'admin' fee.

Any advice please?!

20 Comments

You only have 1 year NCB.

My wife has been a named driver on my insurance for 19 years and so has nil NCB.

The new insurers might accept the two year status though.

BTW. Haggle with Elephant. I do, and they have always reduced the price.

Predikuesi;5800032

You only have 1 year NCB.My wife has been a named driver on my insurance … You only have 1 year NCB.My wife has been a named driver on my insurance for 19 years and so has nil NCB.The new insurers might accept the two year status though.

Probably this... I was in the same predicament with my ex-wife's policy - I was on there for years, but when I needed a policy for just myself, I didn't have any NCD in my own name and effectively had to start again.

You could try getting a quote based on 2 years and then actually speaking to the alternative insurers to see if they will accept it as 2 years.

Predikuesi;5800032

You only have 1 year NCB.My wife has been a named driver on my insurance … You only have 1 year NCB.My wife has been a named driver on my insurance for 19 years and so has nil NCB.The new insurers might accept the two year status though.BTW. Haggle with Elephant. I do, and they have always reduced the price.

I've got a renewal coming up with Elephant, do you think they'll budge on price? Much cheaper if I switch to swiftcover

Original Poster

dave_lunt2;5800177

I've got a renewal coming up with Elephant, do you think they'll budge on … I've got a renewal coming up with Elephant, do you think they'll budge on price? Much cheaper if I switch to swiftcover

DONT allow the automatic elephant renewal to action - they have quoted me £80 more on the renewal than if putting the exact same info through as a new policy......they steal from the lazy.

i'm just about to renew mine, as my 2nd year, my 1st year was £666.00, my 2nd year renewal quote was £580.00, which is over 10% cheaper, and i havn't moved bands.

Now i've searched for hours, rang for ages, and the closest i've come, outside Admiral ( current insurers) is over £700.00.... why the massive gap?!

Original Poster

jasonodell;5800338

i'm just about to renew mine, as my 2nd year, my 1st year was £666.00, my … i'm just about to renew mine, as my 2nd year, my 1st year was £666.00, my 2nd year renewal quote was £580.00, which is over 10% cheaper, and i havn't moved bands.Now i've searched for hours, rang for ages, and the closest i've come, outside Admiral ( current insurers) is over £700.00.... why the massive gap?!

I also tried admiral (they are same group as elephant) but elephant came through quite a bit cheaper - have you tried them?

yep, i've gone through the first two google pages of 'car insurance'

my renewal for elephant came in as over £600 nearly £200 more than the previous year.. i shopped around and got quoted £350 by admirel called elephant to cancel renewal and they matched it and then tweaked to make it another tenner cheaper

onlyme23;5800554

my renewal for elephant came in as over £600 nearly £200 more than the p … my renewal for elephant came in as over £600 nearly £200 more than the previous year.. i shopped around and got quoted £350 by admirel called elephant to cancel renewal and they matched it and then tweaked to make it another tenner cheaper

Well they are the same company :lol:

Original Poster

Jasonodell - i just found donedealinsurance.co.uk - MUCH cheaper than all other quotes for me, so hopefully will be for you

Shengis;5800749

Well they are the same company :lol:

yep exactly but goes to show it worth shopping around rather than accepting renewal and that its not that difficult to get them to drop price :thumbsup:

onlyme23;5800808

yep exactly but goes to show it worth shopping around rather than … yep exactly but goes to show it worth shopping around rather than accepting renewal and that its not that difficult to get them to drop price :thumbsup:

Aii, that's why i've been with Elephant for years. They also cover modifications with very few questions asked

My ex had been a named driver on husdands policy for ever 10 years plus.
    Rang around and found hastings direct i think it was would take proff from his policy for her.
    Gave her 5 years no claims.

BorisTheSpider;5800767

Jasonodell - i just found donedealinsurance.co.uk - MUCH cheaper than all … Jasonodell - i just found donedealinsurance.co.uk - MUCH cheaper than all other quotes for me, so hopefully will be for you

awesome i'll give that a try!!

jasonodell;5806625

awesome i'll give that a try!!

Basic Premium4 £1487.87
    Personal Accident Plan
    Policy wording Policy summary (£15.00) Include in my policy £ 0.00
    Auto National Breakdown
    Policy wording Policy summary (£45.00) Include in my policy £ 0.00
    Motor Legal Protector Plus
    Policy wording Policy summary (£33.00) Include in my policy £33.00
    Total single payment: £1520.87
    Or you can spread the cost & pay: £144.78
    per month
    Initial payment of £228.20 followed by 10 monthly instalments of £144.78. Total amount payable is £1676.00 (28.5% APR). Please note that the option to pay by instalments is only available for proposers aged 18 or over.

Yeah maybe not so good...

jasonodell;5800338

i'm just about to renew mine, as my 2nd year, my 1st year was £666.00, my … i'm just about to renew mine, as my 2nd year, my 1st year was £666.00, my 2nd year renewal quote was £580.00, which is over 10% cheaper, and i havn't moved bands.Now i've searched for hours, rang for ages, and the closest i've come, outside Admiral ( current insurers) is over £700.00.... why the massive gap?!

I'm the same, I've been driving for years and now considered 'old' for insurance (25+) but Elephant/Admiral are quite a bit cheaper apart from Swiftcover but having seen someone in my office trying to get a claim I wouldn't touch them. Last year my renewal quote from Admiral was cheaper than going through their site which I was surprised about but I wasn't complaining.

Unless Elephant say they accept named driver years for no claims I woudn't put that down because if you do make a claim and they look into it more closely they can invalidate your cover entirely.

John

Original Poster

jasonodell;5806705

Basic Premium4 £1487.87 Personal Accident PlanPolicy wording Policy … Basic Premium4 £1487.87 Personal Accident PlanPolicy wording Policy summary (£15.00) Include in my policy £ 0.00 Auto National BreakdownPolicy wording Policy summary (£45.00) Include in my policy £ 0.00 Motor Legal Protector PlusPolicy wording Policy summary (£33.00) Include in my policy £33.00 Total single payment: £1520.87 Or you can spread the cost & pay: £144.78per month Initial payment of £228.20 followed by 10 monthly instalments of £144.78. Total amount payable is £1676.00 (28.5% APR). Please note that the option to pay by instalments is only available for proposers aged 18 or over. Yeah maybe not so good...

LOL - not good - sorry for wasting your time there!

They are brokers, so i guess its a bit hit and miss. They worked for me though - came out over £50 cheaper than my cheapest like-for-like quote elsewhere.

I could have even saved a further £33 with them by not taking legal protection & courtesy car, but included them instead.

Overall, a little bit of work saved me 27.4% off my renewal quote!

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5806974

I'm the same, I've been driving for years and now considered 'old' for … I'm the same, I've been driving for years and now considered 'old' for insurance (25+) but Elephant/Admiral are quite a bit cheaper apart from Swiftcover but having seen someone in my office trying to get a claim I wouldn't touch them. Last year my renewal quote from Admiral was cheaper than going through their site which I was surprised about but I wasn't complaining.Unless Elephant say they accept named driver years for no claims I woudn't put that down because if you do make a claim and they look into it more closely they can invalidate your cover entirely.John

Im not sure you understood - Elephant only accept named driver NCD's if they were named on a policy with them - not from other insurers.

Its a good selling point, which they openly advertise on their site.

It saved me nearly £300 off my premium last yr when i got my first car - a 1yr NCD makes a BIG difference!

Sorry, I see what you're meaning now although what I've said would still apply if going to other insurers.

John

its just a big game really, but u have to really shop for it, otherwise they'll get you hard!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …164406
      2. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October921
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846290
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416014106

See more discussions