Groups

CAR INSURANCE QUERY - Would a named driver lose their NCB for a claim by the main owner / insured?

Banned
    Cant seem to find anything about this scenario in the even of a claim via google.

Basically, GF is getting a car and has no NCB but will put me down as a named driver as I have full NCB. She will be the owner AND main driver.

If she makes a claim, would it affect my no claim bonus?

Conversely, would she lose her NCB if I made a claim?

5 Comments

I'd imagine it's also got a lot to do with who your insurer is, as each policy is different.

I don't fully understand. You are going on as a named driver BECAUSE you have full NCB? Does that qualify her for a discount? My named drivers don't accrue NCB on my policy (though I know some insurers do offer this, I don't think all do). You will lose your NCB if you don't take out a policy in your own right within a set period, again, differs by insurer, usually two years. If she claims, it will affect her NCB, but she hasn't got any. If you claim on her policy, I don't think it will affect your NCB, but will affect her eligibility in future, as technically SHE is making the claim, but you had the accident, with her permission to drive. If you were married, or for some insurers, living together as common law couple you can transfer the full NCB between spouses once per 12 month period. Might work out better for you.

If the policy holder has ZERO NCD ie your GF, then you can not use your NCD.

The only way would be to have you as the policy holder and your GF is an additional driver, and advise the insurance company she is the main driver.

Just for info, you cant use your NCD on more than 1 policy.

Original Poster Banned

RickT

If the policy holder has ZERO NCD ie your GF, then you can not use your … If the policy holder has ZERO NCD ie your GF, then you can not use your NCD.The only way would be to have you as the policy holder and your GF is an additional driver, and advise the insurance company she is the main driver.Just for info, you cant use your NCD on more than 1 policy.

I'm not using my NCB but it does reduce the premium for her if I am a named driver on her policy. Thought this was common knowledge tbh.

Original Poster Banned

Penny Saver

I don't fully understand. You are going on as a named driver BECAUSE you … I don't fully understand. You are going on as a named driver BECAUSE you have full NCB? Does that qualify her for a discount? My named drivers don't accrue NCB on my policy (though I know some insurers do offer this, I don't think all do). You will lose your NCB if you don't take out a policy in your own right within a set period, again, differs by insurer, usually two years. If she claims, it will affect her NCB, but she hasn't got any. If you claim on her policy, I don't think it will affect your NCB, but will affect her eligibility in future, as technically SHE is making the claim, but you had the accident, with her permission to drive. If you were married, or for some insurers, living together as common law couple you can transfer the full NCB between spouses once per 12 month period. Might work out better for you.

yes & yes.

Guess I will have to speak with the prospective insurer to ascertain the full situation as it probably does vary by insurer as moob stated

Thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any PS4 News Here29213632
      2. First 2 lucky people.77
      3. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1123
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831532

See more discussions