Car insurance question

Posted 8th Apr
Now I'm working from home, and will be for probably the next 6 months can I get a reduced rate for my insurance? I'm literally only driving to the shops, I've not put fuel in my car in about 4 weeks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Would you be happy to pay more if you used you car more than you normally do?
you can always ring up your provider and advise your circumstances have changed to see if you can get a rebate. e.g. you only use your car for leisure and domestic use and not for commuting to work, and reduced in annual mileage.
Doubtful.

Believe it or not, some insurers will actually put a premium UP for reduced mileage. I know - sounds ridiculous, right? The sweet spot seems to be around 5-6k per year. Some will allow you to go down to 3-4k a year but this can cost more. If you do; say; 10k a year you could look into dropping it to see what difference it will make to your policy but it's not going to be a monumental saving.
US insurance companies are offering rebates to customer at the moment, the UK will probably say say they will refund you £40 but then charge you the £40 amendment fee.

As said there can be little difference, do a quote and see if you can save, worth a phone call but watch out for the amendment fee.
If your due to renew before long then yeah because you’ll be dropping your mileage in half, if your during policy unless you have massive mileage it won’t be worth it, if you took commuting off it’s gonna cost another admin fee to add it when you go back to work. If you’ve got less than 6 months left you could call and ask for quote to amend your policy to the miles you’ve already done plus a few for the shops added on, and to remove commuting to work. It all depends how much you pay, if you currently pay £1000 then no doubt you could save, if you pay £200 currently it’s likely to cost you most with the silly £20/£30 admin fee.
spiderbifida08/04/2020 17:43

Would you be happy to pay more if you used you car more than you normally …Would you be happy to pay more if you used you car more than you normally do?

you have to declare mileage so yes, you would.
spiderbifida08/04/2020 17:43

Would you be happy to pay more if you used you car more than you normally …Would you be happy to pay more if you used you car more than you normally do?

If you want your insurance to remain valid that's exactly what you need to do by calling them and increasing your annual mileage estimate.

If you've taken out a policy for 10,000 miles PA then make a claim and they find out you've actually covered 15,000 miles the insurer can and will refuse to pay up.
Look at Bymiles in the future, for a quote.
You pay to have the car sat on the drive / road fully comp.
Then you pay a by mile charge for each mile you drive.
You are then billed each month like a phone contact.
Lol trying to save money from insurance when they’re trying to take as much as they can from you
If you want to change your car insurance they will probably charge you an admin fee.

I doubt it will work out cheaper. Probably cost you money.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions