Car insurance question...

I'm looking to get car insurance for my first car under my mums name. The insurer she is currently with 'Budget' quoted me at like £2,500...F*** that!

So I then got a quote under my mums name with a different insurer 'Swinton' and they quoted me at £1,450 which i'm willing to accept.

Can I get that insurance under my mums name with me as the main driver at the same time she has her car insured by a different company?

22 Comments

I think you can, but she can't use her NCB twice simulataneously. Not sure though. Why can't you just insure yourself on the card without your mum's name down as policy holder,. You don't want to get done fro 'fronting'.

There's so many typos there I am ashamed.

Original Poster

Penny Saver

I think you can, but she can't use her NCB twice simulataneously. Not … I think you can, but she can't use her NCB twice simulataneously. Not sure though. Why can't you just insure yourself on the card without your mum's name down as policy holder,. You don't want to get done fro 'fronting'.

Because it costs £3,800 on my own name. You sure you can't use the NCD?

I really don't know what i'm gonna do if I can't use the 6 years NCD she's got

What car are you trying to insure and do you own it yet? Really not worth having one dodgy insurance policy that may invalidate your mum's own policy in the event of an accident (NCB, Main Driver of another vehicle).

Have you tried to get a quote via a comparison site like moneysupermarket.com?

You can use her NCD but she will be classed as the main driver on the policy.

Plus if you have an accident, it will be her NCD that takes the hit.

You will be listed as a named driver though, no way around that unless you want to drive illegally.

Original Poster

Painkiller

What car are you trying to insure and do you own it yet? Really not worth … What car are you trying to insure and do you own it yet? Really not worth having one dodgy insurance policy that may invalidate your mum's own policy in the event of an accident (NCB, Main Driver of another vehicle).Have you tried to get a quote via a comparison site like moneysupermarket.com?

It's a 2001 Y Reg Vauxhall Corsa SXI 1.2

I'm picking it up monday, and yeah that's where the quote is actually from moneysupermarket.com

Is that correct that I can't use her NCD on that insurance?

Insuring a car under your Mothers name when you are the main driver is known as " fronting " and is not allowed.

It will all end in tears if you get caught, both for you and your Mother.

You definately cannot have two cars insured in the same persons name and claim the No claims discount for both.
My nephew who is 19 used admiral multi car, and on the understanding that his dad moved to them when his current insurance finished got a very reasonable quote. £1200 on a 56 plate colt

Original Poster

Inactive

Insuring a car under your Mothers name when you are the main driver is … Insuring a car under your Mothers name when you are the main driver is known as " fronting " and is not allowed.It will all end in tears if you get caught, both for you and your Mother.

Hang on a sec, I've just edited the quote on moneysupermarket and changed my mum to be the main driver of the vehicle.

Is that alright to do now? The quote has actually gone slightly cheaper too.

You can put your Mum down as an additional driver, which will save you a couple of quid but you'll have to put yourself down as the main driver unless you want to get into trouble.

Original Poster

Jonny_K

You can put your Mum down as an additional driver, which will save you a … You can put your Mum down as an additional driver, which will save you a couple of quid but you'll have to put yourself down as the main driver unless you want to get into trouble.

F.S!

Gettin' stressed now lol don't know anything about car insurance.

People are saying different things aswell which is just making me even more confused

Original Poster

I'm wondering why I can't do this...

The policy will be under my mums name and I am the additional driver (her son) and I have listed myself as the MAIN driver. What's wrong with that?

It boils down to this: if your Mum has an insurance policy using her no claims discount on her own car she cannot use that no claims discount again on your car, secondly if you insure it in your Mum's name she needs to be the registered keeper/owner with the DVLA as she needs to have an "insurable interest" in the car.

As far as fronting goes you can insure a car in your Mum's name with you as an additionaly driver, but you need to ensure that the company you insure with are aware you will be the main driver, and that they will accept that. If they don't then you need to insure it in your name!

Any other questions?

hornblowerracing

You can use her NCD but she will be classed as the main driver on the … You can use her NCD but she will be classed as the main driver on the policy.Plus if you have an accident, it will be her NCD that takes the hit.

You cannot use NCD on two cars simultaneously...

andrewnclark

It boils down to this: if your Mum has an insurance policy using her no … It boils down to this: if your Mum has an insurance policy using her no claims discount on her own car she cannot use that no claims discount again on your car, secondly if you insure it in your Mum's name she needs to be the registered keeper/owner with the DVLA as she needs to have an "insurable interest" in the car.As far as fronting goes you can insure a car in your Mum's name with you as an additionaly driver, but you need to ensure that the company you insure with are aware you will be the main driver, and that they will accept that. If they don't then you need to insure it in your name!Any other questions?

All of this^^^ is correct, have been through a similar things when I was trying to insure my car for the first time, I tried to do it through my husband as well (cause he was over 25 before me) but he lost the no claims on the second car, which I thought was daft cause he can only drive one at a time! If you are the main driver you need to be the policy holder, or let the insurance company know otherwise, basically do not lie to them.

Its not worth the risk breaking the rules as if you have an accident it will invalidate your insurance, then you could be looking at countless offences including fraud, driving without insurance. Not worth it!

tracyhay

All of this^^^ is correct, have been through a similar things when I was … All of this^^^ is correct, have been through a similar things when I was trying to insure my car for the first time, I tried to do it through my husband as well (cause he was over 25 before me) but he lost the no claims on the second car, which I thought was daft cause he can only drive one at a time! If you are the main driver you need to be the policy holder, or let the insurance company know otherwise, basically do not lie to them. Its not worth the risk breaking the rules as if you have an accident it will invalidate your insurance, then you could be looking at countless offences including fraud, driving without insurance. Not worth it!

That's the worse thing about it, you could both end up with points on your licence if they cancel your insurance!

Original Poster

So if I did have the policy under my mother's name, and I was listed as the main driver...I should phone the company up and tell them that right? Guessing the cost is going to go up then...

You cannot use your mum's NCB on your policy as it's already used on her policy. The new insurance company will require proof of a valid ncb which you wont have. Your only hope is if she transfers her insurance to a company that have multicar policies.

andrewnclark

if you insure it in your Mum's name she needs to be the registered … if you insure it in your Mum's name she needs to be the registered keeper/owner with the DVLA as she needs to have an "insurable interest" in the car.

Not true, our car is in my wife's name and she's the main driver but the insurance is in my name. Maybe a spouce changes things slightly, but I have never had a problem. We move insurance every year and none have had a problem with this arrangement.

pinkleponkle

Not true, our car is in my wife's name and she's the main driver but the … Not true, our car is in my wife's name and she's the main driver but the insurance is in my name. Maybe a spouce changes things slightly, but I have never had a problem. We move insurance every year and none have had a problem with this arrangement.

That is the only case where it is not a problem!

ScRiVs

So if I did have the policy under my mother's name, and I was listed as … So if I did have the policy under my mother's name, and I was listed as the main driver...I should phone the company up and tell them that right? Guessing the cost is going to go up then...

Probably yes, but it depends on the company, some will allow that arrangement, others will insist that you are the policyholder.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764042
    2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!78
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183115
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846096

See more discussions