car insurance question, fully comp driving other cars

Found 4th JunEdited by:"mart321"
im going to renew mine and the mrs car insurance. ive never had any driving incidents until last year, i received a 1 month ban, and was involved in a minor collision.

we have two cars. one not worth a lot and cheap to insure, the other is expensive to insure.

can i insure the mrs, fully comp, as the main driver of the more valuable car with no named drivers, (expensive to insure myself with driving offences)

insure myself, fully comp as the main driver of the cheaper vehicle(much cheaper than main driver on the other car)

then are we both able to drive each others vehicles without being named drivers, as we are both fully comp??

thanks in advance ppl
Community Updates
AskHome & Garden
18 Comments
The car you are not insured on will be insured as 3rd party. And even more companies are less likely to support that. Also if there will be even a suspicion that you are driving the other car on regular basic you will be done for fraud
Edited by: "mattsk" 4th Jun
In a word, no.
mattsk8 m ago

The car you are not insured on will be insured as 3rd party. And even more …The car you are not insured on will be insured as 3rd party. And even more companies are less likely to support that. Also if there will be even a suspicion that you are driving the other car on regular basic you will be done for fraud

righto, thats a no then, as i will be driving fairly regularly, wasn't sure thats all. If only ya hadn't pulled me for speeding last year eh Matt!
I tried taking wife off as a named driver as she rarely uses it and admiral say she wouldn't be covered as she lives with me, if she didn't live with me then she'd be covered, very random
laings862 m ago

I tried taking wife off as a named driver as she rarely uses it and …I tried taking wife off as a named driver as she rarely uses it and admiral say she wouldn't be covered as she lives with me, if she didn't live with me then she'd be covered, very random

my mrs has never drove my car and has no intention of, so i wont have her as a named driver. i drove her car last year on two occasions just around the town so do i really have to be a named driver on her policy.
Fully comp doesn't necessarily mean you get to drive other cars, you just have to read the benefits
I believe the only way you can get fully comp on any car is through a traders insurance policy. Otherwise it's third party for other cars from insurance that supports it.
Yeah if you're a main driver 25 y/o + on fully comp insurance its usually 3rd party only driving any car
My fully comp always covered me third party for other cars but when I got a lease car they made it clear I was no longer covered!
mart3212 h, 9 m ago

my mrs has never drove my car and has no intention of, so i wont have her …my mrs has never drove my car and has no intention of, so i wont have her as a named driver. i drove her car last year on two occasions just around the town so do i really have to be a named driver on her policy.

Usually having an older driver or someone with a clean record helps bring down the price (why a lot of young drivers add their parents) so you should get a quote with her as a named driver even if she won't be driving. I had my mum as a named driver for years as it reduced the cost, I said she wouldn't be driving it but it was only for emergency cover if I got hurt etc and needed my car moved and the insurers were always fine with that.
Most Fully Comp now allows you to drive other Privately Owned Vehicles at 3rd Party Risk with the permission of the Owner as long as the Other Car has an Insurance Policy in place, and as long as the Other Vehicle is not Owned, Registered Keeper or Associated to you.
You must have insurance for both cars.

Then (if not a named driver on the policy and the insurer allows it (not sure admiral does anymore)) then you can drive the other car third party only. This means that if you are driving and crash you get nothing for your/mrs car, will be responsible for recovery costs but the other car you hit will be able to claim against the insurance for their repairs. It’s a stupid way of trying to insure yourself.

Your best bet is to add as many legitimate named drivers to your policy (mrs,kids etc) as you can, it reduces the percentage of time you can use the car resulting in a lower policy, increasing your excess may also help and then get excess insurance which is cheaper (separate policy).
Moneysavinexpert will tell you put a named driver on any car that’s insured it takes the premium down, doesn’t matter if they won’t drive it.
eslick25 m ago

Moneysavinexpert will tell you put a named driver on any car that’s i …Moneysavinexpert will tell you put a named driver on any car that’s insured it takes the premium down, doesn’t matter if they won’t drive it.

Bell insurance said that if I took my husband off my policy I would save £50 on renewal but comparison sites do quote less with named drivers. Also they said as he’s my husband he has to be insured to drive my car regardless of whether his insurance covered him. I guess they have these terms to avoid what you want to do, I could have saved £50!
I put me and the Mrs on all cars and van we own. Insurance is cheaper if you add partner even if they never drive vehicle. Well that's what I was told and what I've done for years
wayners16 h, 13 m ago

I put me and the Mrs on all cars and van we own. Insurance is cheaper if …I put me and the Mrs on all cars and van we own. Insurance is cheaper if you add partner even if they never drive vehicle. Well that's what I was told and what I've done for years

That is true... As long as your partner has no penalties, claims or is far too young!
Fully comp doesn't mean you can drive other cars anymore this was removed a few years back and you will need to check your own policy to see if it entitles you to drive other cars
If you want to drive other cars you need to get that added to your policy. Having comp insurance does not mean you can drive other cars.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants