Car insurance question - is car insurance invalid if no claims letter dated 3 days after policy started?

Found 9th Aug 2015
Recently renewed my car insurance and got quite a good deal given I've only been driving for a year (it was about £200 cheaper than anywhere else).

They have sent a request for proof of my one years no claims which I've emailed to them, but I've noticed the date is in fact 3 days after my new policy started as I calculated wrongly (so I was insured by 2 insurers for the last 3 days of my first year).

There is a warning in the request that insurance can be invalidated or I can be charged more, anyone know if I have anything to worry about?

Cheers.
Community Updates
18 Comments
I dont see an obvious issue as you still had one years no claims accrued its just you lost 3 days on this years policy.If anything Id give them a ring and ask for the end date to be corrected.
Edited by: "arachnoid" 9th Aug 2015
cancel and renew you have 14 days grace - If they mess you about.
sowotsdis

cancel and renew you have 14 days grace - If they mess you about.

Thanks but I don't believe that good price is available anymore. That's where my main concern is coming from.
arachnoid

I dont see an obvious issue as you still had one years no claims accrued … I dont see an obvious issue as you still had one years no claims accrued its just you lost 3 days on this years policy.If anything Id give them a ring and ask for the end date to be corrected.

I hope so, given you are reminded to renew and that you have the no claims before the year finishes I'd hope there is at least some crossover allowed between the 2 dates (technically I had 362 days no claims at the point my second policy started which is my concern). Happy to lose 3 days but not the price I got!
Edited by: "delusion" 9th Aug 2015
Your proof of no claims bonus will only be issued by your insurance company once your policy has actually expired, and no claim has been made. They will not usually provide it whilst the policy is still in place, in case you subsequently have an accident on the last day of cover.

Therefore nothing to worry about.
Edited by: "Taliban_Army" 9th Aug 2015
Taliban_Army

Your proof of no claims bonus will only be issued by your insurance … Your proof of no claims bonus will only be issued by your insurance company once your policy has actually expired, and no claim has been made. They will not usually provide it whilst the policy is still in place, in case you subsequently have an accident on the last day of cover. Therefore nothing to worry about.

​agreed.
nothing to worry about
If there is any doubt then confirm with your insurance company. It might be a good price but if you have an accident and then find out your not covered.......

Thanks all for responses

Wyley100

If there is any doubt then confirm with your insurance company. It might … If there is any doubt then confirm with your insurance company. It might be a good price but if you have an accident and then find out your not covered.......

Yeh I am a little concerned about that happening. I must be covered as it stands right now, but not sure on my rights if they threaten to cancel it. Hopefully they wouldn't based on starting the policy 3 days too early. I'm sure I'll be hearing soon based on the no claims proof I've just sent off.
Taliban_Army

Your proof of no claims bonus will only be issued by your insurance … Your proof of no claims bonus will only be issued by your insurance company once your policy has actually expired, and no claim has been made. They will not usually provide it whilst the policy is still in place, in case you subsequently have an accident on the last day of cover. Therefore nothing to worry about.

Complete rubbish
I get mine with the renewal at least a month in advance
[/quote]
Complete rubbish
I get mine with the renewal at least a month in advance[/quote]

Really? What you're referring to is your renewal letter/quotation, which will tell you how many years ncb you have accrued and your new quotation based upon this.

It is not your actual proof of ncb. Although some other companies will accept it as your proof of ncb, it is not the official proof. This is only issued once the current policy has expired. Many insurance companies are happy to accept your renewal letter, however they will cross reference your policy number with the motor insurance database to confirm you have not made a claim, prior or shortly after you taking out a policy.

This is based upon the fact I work for a motor insurance company.

Edited by: "Taliban_Army" 9th Aug 2015
What insurer is it I hope to God it's not "Go Skippy" because they are very particular even the slightest thing amiss and they will cancel your policy and keep your deposit, or worse double or triple the premium. Go Skippy at the Review centre
Moonwolf1976

What insurer is it I hope to God it's not "Go Skippy" because they are … What insurer is it I hope to God it's not "Go Skippy" because they are very particular even the slightest thing amiss and they will cancel your policy and keep your deposit, or worse double or triple the premium. Go Skippy at the Review centre

Wow that company is bad.
That's why I don't take risks with car insurance - I only go with recognizable insurance company names; ones with some national reputation. One of the few things (tyres is the other big one) - not worth the risk.
deleted251091
I had this predicament just last week. I rang the company and they said they have a 28 day overlap. My new insurance with them started a day earlier than my old one and they said its fine. The NCD would still be applied and no changes need to be made. That was Tesco car insurance.
greavesy1984

I had this predicament just last week. I rang the company and they said … I had this predicament just last week. I rang the company and they said they have a 28 day overlap. My new insurance with them started a day earlier than my old one and they said its fine. The NCD would still be applied and no changes need to be made. That was Tesco car insurance.

That's promising, I'm now with the same insurer so crossing my fingers I get the same result!

Thanks for all the responses.
Are you sure that you did have a 3 day overlap. The date on the proof of no-claims letter was probably dated the day that you asked for it......

Most insurance companies remind you if you have "forgotten" to send them the no-claims proof so in those cases the letter could be dated 7 to 10 days after your new policy start. It will be dated whatever day you asked for the proof or several days later depending on how quick they get round to it...

A proof dated 3 days later will not raise any alarm bells at your insurer. In fact it is probably quite normal !!
tintin7

Are you sure that you did have a 3 day overlap. The date on the proof of … Are you sure that you did have a 3 day overlap. The date on the proof of no-claims letter was probably dated the day that you asked for it......Most insurance companies remind you if you have "forgotten" to send them the no-claims proof so in those cases the letter could be dated 7 to 10 days after your new policy start. It will be dated whatever day you asked for the proof or several days later depending on how quick they get round to it...A proof dated 3 days later will not raise any alarm bells at your insurer. In fact it is probably quite normal !!

Yes I'm 100 percent sure. My 1st year policy ended 3 days after my 2nd year new policy started
Shouldn't be a problem, ring them up to confirm rather than guessibg
I received confirmation my no claims was fine and has been matched to my policy. All good, thanks all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants