Car insurance quote - windscreen chip repair claim

Posted 27th May
Just getting quotes to renew my car insurance online, on the previous claims section of the online form I've entered the details of a Windscreen chip repair I had in March 2018 but I'm being asked for the value of the claim. Does anyone have a rough idea what this claim cost would have been, I don't have any paperwork relating to it.

My insurer at the time was Admiral, there is no option to contact them online about old policies and the phone line has an automated message saying wait time are over an hour and they can only handle urgent queries re changes to policies, so they may not be any use anyway.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I have only ever had "Free" windscreen repairs on my car insurance to avoid replacement cost presumably, hence I have never been asked for a cost by insurance companies. I am only ever asked about TOTAL YEARS NCB.

If that was the case with you perhaps a "repair" is not relevant.
Edited by: "TheBiker" 27th May
I would phone them as I don’t think this is what they mean, most insures charge a tenner and you go direct to the company doing the work. It’s more a benefit than an actual claim..

That being said the quickest way to a correct answer is giving the wrong answer so let’s see how quick I am corrected..
I don't know about Admiral specifically, but some insurers allow you to get windscreens replaced without it affecting your no claims bonus. You just pay an excess and the insurer picks up the rest of the cost.

If that's the case then you wouldn't need to put it under previous claims.
Edited by: "np85" 27th May
When I researched online the first time I changed my insurance after having the repair, the info I found at the time said windscreen chip repairs DO need to be mentioned when asking for quotes on comparison sites which I did do, but they didn't ask for a claim value at the time. That advice might have been wrong but what's done is done.

The problem is my proof of no claims from my current insurer does mention the windscreen claim so if I don't mention it on a new quote now it could cause problems further down the line if I ever need to claim on my next policy, the difference to the quotes with or without mentioning the claim is only around £10 for the year anyway. What I need to know is the approximate cost of the claim (there is no option to say 'I don't know'), I'm guessing for a chip it would be pretty cheap, less than £100??
Edited by: "spoo" 27th May
£167.25 for the public. Your insurance company will probably pay a lot less. autoglass.co.uk/wha…st/
np8527/05/2020 11:53

I don't know about Admiral specifically, but some insurers allow you to …I don't know about Admiral specifically, but some insurers allow you to get windscreens replaced without it affecting your no claims bonus. You just pay an excess and the insurer picks up the rest of the cost.If that's the case then you wouldn't need to put it under previous claims.

I was told by a previous insurer (doesn't mean to say it's true) that although it doesn't affect your no claims (number of years) it is a claim, and therefore I should disclose it... but for most insurers if that's the only claim then the price should be the same with or without it.

Be careful - if the insurance company report it on the central insurance database and you do not, then the new insurer may detect a difference in information and could void the insurance.
CrashOverride27/05/2020 12:43

I was told by a previous insurer (doesn't mean to say it's true) that …I was told by a previous insurer (doesn't mean to say it's true) that although it doesn't affect your no claims (number of years) it is a claim, and therefore I should disclose it... but for most insurers if that's the only claim then the price should be the same with or without it.Be careful - if the insurance company report it on the central insurance database and you do not, then the new insurer may detect a difference in information and could void the insurance.

Seems mad to have to report as a claim something which is legitimately under the 'no claims' banner, but I would not be remotely surprised if you were correct.

Will note for future reference - many thanks
np8527/05/2020 13:08

Seems mad to have to report as a claim something which is legitimately …Seems mad to have to report as a claim something which is legitimately under the 'no claims' banner, but I would not be remotely surprised if you were correct.Will note for future reference - many thanks

It does seem a bit strange, and it might not even be true it's just what I was told a couple of years back. Luckily mine have dropped off now anyway they were so long ago
CrashOverride27/05/2020 13:12

It does seem a bit strange, and it might not even be true it's just what I …It does seem a bit strange, and it might not even be true it's just what I was told a couple of years back. Luckily mine have dropped off now anyway they were so long ago

Always worth keeping an eye out for these things!
A few good products out there currently for chips,I used a RainX product on my windscreen on a really old chip and it's done s great job,unless someone points it out and really squint yourself wouldn't know anything was ever there
Post a comment
@
    Text