CAR Insurance TIP

I just wanted to share my experience with HUKD community.

I was looking for car insurance renewal, my UK full license is less than year old, but I was with Admiral policy which provides me No Claim Bonus after 10 months. I had renewal quotes from Admiral of £2650 :-(. All car insurance comparison websites failed! lowest quote I had was £2380 for 12 months.

I called Aviva to try my luck if I could save few quids. I was surprised that, Aviva consider your driving license from the date you have provisional license. In my case I had provisional license for 8 years! My first quote was £1120. Then the Customer care told me download Aviva Drive app on mobile , which works independently of your Aviva quote. My quote is valid for 60 days, and what I have to is when I drive my car I have to start this Aviva app on my mobile for 200 miles and then the app produce some score. I submitted my score and the quote was down to £870!

Living the dream. Thought my experience could save few quids for Christmas gifts!

36 Comments

happy days for you

Good to know handy for the my kids

Wow. Thanks for sharing!

Well done

Nice one bro.

It's often cheaper to add someone else to your policy; presumably if they are older with a clean license.
And they don't need to actually use the car or live near you.
I added my sister who lives 200 miles away and saved a bit.

Awesome, Nice saving for you.

Does it include blackbox or do u still have to use the app?
That's a brilliant price, I have 9 year no claim bonus which gives me car insurance in the range of 300-500 but I live in UKs worst post code for insurance purpose

Agharta

It's often cheaper to add someone else to your policy; presumably if they … It's often cheaper to add someone else to your policy; presumably if they are older with a clean license.And they don't need to actually use the car or live near you.I added my sister who lives 200 miles away and saved a bit.

By adding another driver, wouldn't that mean you are the second driver? or did you mean add a 2nd driver?

nice one.

would the premium go up with erratic driving?

MazingerZ

By adding another driver, wouldn't that mean you are the second driver? … By adding another driver, wouldn't that mean you are the second driver? or did you mean add a 2nd driver?

Add a 2nd named driver, say your Mum or Dad, assuming that they have good driving records, obviously. You are still the main driver.

If I was driving with that app the price would probably double lol.

deeky

Add a 2nd named driver, say your Mum or Dad, assuming that they have good … Add a 2nd named driver, say your Mum or Dad, assuming that they have good driving records, obviously. You are still the main driver.

many thanks, will look into this. I live in hot spot, actually, I think it's right at the top of the list in the UK as the worst place to insure a car xD

Just want to add some good feedback on Aviva

We've got a multicar policy with them.

Gives us both fully comprehensive insurance on both our cars (Audi A4 and Ford Focus), with legal cover and NCB Protection.

Is around £58 a month in total... Rang up as wifes new Kia Sportage arrives in a couple of weeks to replace her Focus, prepared to be stung for swapping the car mid policy.... Ended up £6 a month cheaper! First time that's EVER happened to me when changing a car mid policy.
Edited by: "spritey" 3rd Dec 2016

iibdii

Does it include blackbox or do u still have to use the app? That's a … Does it include blackbox or do u still have to use the app? That's a brilliant price, I have 9 year no claim bonus which gives me car insurance in the range of 300-500 but I live in UKs worst post code for insurance purpose

Small Heath?

salaf

would the premium go up with erratic driving?

You would probably get a rise with erotic driving.

PS. sybadm: Licence.

My son had Grandma on his, even though she had 6 points, it knocked £300 off of a £1400 quote (just old enough to get a provisional license).

Putting ME on, with a clean license - added £60.

It makes no sense, but there you are.

The best thing to do is enter a fake name/email on a comparison site and try various alterations to see which gets you the cheapest price.
(Fake, because otherwise they will bombard you with carp for the next ten years).

For other new drivers, beware cheap deals on provisional licences, they are invalid the second you pass your test, and the companies involved then up the premium into the many thousands; a friend of my son got a brand new Focus from his dad, and a £660 Fully comp insurance deal; the day he passed and informed them, the quote went to FOURTEEN THOUSAND.
The business plan is,
You dont tell them you've passed, and they dont have to pay out.
You tell them and pay the absurd quote, and they are quids in.
You terminate the insurance and they charge a huge exit fee that eats up most of the £660 already paid.

Each way, they win.

Ive just changed cars from a 56 plate vectra 1.9cdti 148bhp value £1000.00 to a 66 plate peugeot 5008 1.6 bluehdi auto, value £14350.00. Price for changing with Quote me happy is £3.38 for the 5 months till insurance is due again.
You do all the work IE log in fill out change of car to new reg and pay the fee.
No calling fees no surcharges for them to change your details etc.

Try adding more than one older additional named driver. My 17 year originally only had me as named driver, but at the point of purchase on the phone, he added his mother, and the premium came down by another £200. Result!

I let my older brother-in-law use my car over 10 days when he visited us in the summer; added him to my own policy, and I got a refund of £1 from the insurance company!

Also, if you pay for insurance in one go at the start of the policy, it is cheaper than paying monthly.

MazingerZ

By adding another driver, wouldn't that mean you are the second driver? … By adding another driver, wouldn't that mean you are the second driver? or did you mean add a 2nd driver?

It's your policy so you are always the primary driver regardless of how many people you add to it.

That is amazing will check for quotes

MrMan2011

That is amazing will check for quotes

^ Here's one.

Don't depend on comparison sites. Try quotes from the companies that don't appear on them. My son was being quoted around £450 on comparison sites. Direct Line cost him about £250 for better cover.

qbs

Don't depend on comparison sites. Try quotes from the companies that … Don't depend on comparison sites. Try quotes from the companies that don't appear on them. My son was being quoted around £450 on comparison sites. Direct Line cost him about £250 for better cover.

Sometimes true, but they are good for going through all the permutations to see what gets the price down, THEN you can approach the VERY few insurers who wont use them and see if they will better the quote.

Gentle_Giant

Sometimes true, but they are good for going through all the permutations … Sometimes true, but they are good for going through all the permutations to see what gets the price down, THEN you can approach the VERY few insurers who wont use them and see if they will better the quote.

The main problem with comparison sites is the quotes are seldom exactly what you've asked for. Huge variations in excesses, windscreen cover, replacement vehicles etc, but yes, they're handy to use for a rough sort. I usually get quotes direct from the insurers using false names with similar details to avoid the deluge of phone calls/emails, then get cover through TCB or Quidco. Taking cashback into account, my son more than halved his outlay going to Direct Line rather than using the best quote on the two comparison sites used.

Edited by: "qbs" 4th Dec 2016

AND HOW MUCH IS THE EXCESS?

Original Poster

Graham1979

AND HOW MUCH IS THE EXCESS?

£250

Thanks for the nice tips. Will get handy next time when car insurance is due.

qbs

The main problem with comparison sites is the quotes are seldom exactly … The main problem with comparison sites is the quotes are seldom exactly what you've asked for. Huge variations in excesses, windscreen cover, replacement vehicles etc, but yes, they're handy to use for a rough sort. I usually get quotes direct from the insurers using false names with similar details to avoid the deluge of phone calls/emails, then get cover through TCB or Quidco. Taking cashback into account, my son more than halved his outlay going to Direct Line rather than using the best quote on the two comparison sites used.

But you can adjust how much excess you are willing to pay, and it will update all the quotes; increasing/decreasing the amount can cause some providers to drop out and new ones to appear.

My first car insurance was £1400 when i started driving 15 years ago. Think it was with HIC insurance.

That was with convictions on my licence too such as being previously banned from driving, in other words being a plonker.

Its now around £400 for private car. But as i pay for trade insurance im back up to £1400 again lol.

get it in writing or they wont pay out in a claim

Gentle_Giant

But you can adjust how much excess you are willing to pay, and it will … But you can adjust how much excess you are willing to pay, and it will update all the quotes; increasing/decreasing the amount can cause some providers to drop out and new ones to appear..

Yes. I realise that, but I've yet to get a quote from a comparison site that matched what I'd stipulated. They always have far higher excesses than I am willing to accept so that they can quote low. And perversely, they don't provide quotes for uniform cover. If I can go and tweak the quotes so that I can get a genuine comparison, why bother with a "comparison" site. As a rough tool, they're ok, but, as in my son's case, ignoring companies that choose not to be included can cost you. In my son's case, he'd have more than doubled his premium.

My insurance nearly halved since last year. Under £400 now

qbs

Yes. I realise that, but I've yet to get a quote from a comparison site … Yes. I realise that, but I've yet to get a quote from a comparison site that matched what I'd stipulated. They always have far higher excesses than I am willing to accept so that they can quote low. And perversely, they don't provide quotes for uniform cover. If I can go and tweak the quotes so that I can get a genuine comparison, why bother with a "comparison" site. As a rough tool, they're ok, but, as in my son's case, ignoring companies that choose not to be included can cost you. In my son's case, he'd have more than doubled his premium.

I just got mine reduced by ~35% as well, all for 5 minutes on Compare the Meerkat, and Go Compare; a huge reduction based partly on a change of circumstances, however with exactly the same details changed, my old provider UPPED their quote another £75, making the practical saving a huge ~48%.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Iphone 7 - What Case?59
    2. Samsung or Hisense11
    3. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?22
    4. Photobook for up to 400 photos?35

See more discussions