Car Insurance tips please (for young driver)

Found 16th Dec 2017
Hi, I am just looking for some tips to reduce car insurance qoutes for my son. We are looking to buy him a cheap car (a 1.2 fiesta worth about 800 pounds) Obviously the quotes are horrendous... He is only 17 and still taking lessons. As anyone got any tips on how to get these qoutes down in price, i.e how to play about with info you put in etc,..Any advice would be really appreciated..

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

At a young age like your son you can add your name as a named driver as that does help reduce the price (not by a massive percentage). You could also look at Quidco or TopCashback too.

Dont out your sun as main driver, use multi car policy if possible, buy a cheap as possible car

Lower mileage, increase excess are two big ones. As above, add a names driver can help. Are you getting quotes based on the fact he has passed or as is now?
To be honest, you’ll never get away from the high premium. Just try various compare websites and don’t forget cashback sites as well to bring it down a little more.

Original Poster

Never thought of cashback sites, how would that work with insurance??

It seems the value of the car has little bearing on the insurance premium

Went through this 6 months ago.

> Rule #1. The kid pays for the insurance. You provide the car. They need to have real skin in the game.
> Do Pass Plus. 6 hours extra tuition, no test. Teaches them a lot they need to know (motorways, foul weather etc)
> Investigate the Admiral multicar policy. Its what everyone we know is using in year 1. Expect to have to change in year 2
> Opt for a black box. Admiral do a version of the policy that uses one for 3 months and you get a weekly score (Gold, silver etc). Do all gold for 3 months and my son got £25 towards next years premium and sent the box back
> Add 1 or 2 older drivers (preferably with clean licenses. We each have a speed course which added £80 to the bill)
> Calculate the mileage. We concluded 6,000. 10,000 is 'normal' but 6,000 dropped the cost slightyl
> 1200 is a big engine. Look at 1,0ltr. They are B good these days.
> If you can, look at buying a newer car. Older cars cost more to insure.
> Cashback sites may work but you are likely to have to talk to the insurer so check it still applies

We ended up with a Hyundai i10, 1.0ltr premium, 4 door from Motorpoint. £880 premium (inc our speed courses)

I don’t know if this is still the case but it used to be that any make/model of car that was popular with youngsters for looks was the thing to avoid. It was often cheaper to insure a big ugly estate car with a powerful engine rather than a 1lite ‘hot hatch’ type car.

buttonpushervic14 m ago

I don’t know if this is still the case but it used to be that any m …I don’t know if this is still the case but it used to be that any make/model of car that was popular with youngsters for looks was the thing to avoid. It was often cheaper to insure a big ugly estate car with a powerful engine rather than a 1lite ‘hot hatch’ type car.

Still very much a factor with me, I went from a hot hatch to a family car because of work and the premium was suddenly £300 quid cheaper even though engine size was double and the car was worth ten thousand more. The more unpopular it is the better as they don't have enough accident statistics to call it a risky car.

Just be aware that many of the policies terminate when the driver passes and they issue a Pro rata refund, then the real premium kicks in ie it cost significantly more.

I don't know about here in the UK but aren't there companies doing policies where it doesn't matter who drives the car?

I used to work in an insurance company in Italy and the policy they did there took into consideration who owned the car, not who would drive it. Obviously cheaper to have the car in the name of someone who wasn't a person who just got their licence.
Edited by: "hearts22" 16th Dec 2017

And one more tip; Look to at taking a higher excess then insuring the excess.

hearts221 h, 11 m ago

I don't know about here in the UK but aren't there companies doing …I don't know about here in the UK but aren't there companies doing policies where it doesn't matter who drives the car? I used to work in an insurance company in Italy and the policy they did there took into consideration who owned the car, not who would drive it. Obviously cheaper to have the car in the name of someone who wasn't a person who just got their licence.

in UK insurance, you technically insure the driver, not the car

adamspencer9510 m ago

in UK insurance, you technically insure the driver, not the car

That was like 6 years ago for me but I know other companies there would instead focus on who would be driving the car, like for example Direct Line, which operates in the UK as well.

I started to drive when i was 17 but my mum took out a policy in her name with additional named driver, so i was additional named driver. That worked out to be the cheapest option.
Edited by: "mutley1" 16th Dec 2017

Just remember that if he owns the car he needs to be the main driver insured. It can be tempting to insure a parent then add the child as an additional driver but this could invalidate the policy, it's called fronting.
Edited by: "sparky64" 16th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions