Car insurance with or without Black Box? New driver

Posted 16th Nov
Looking for first insurance for my son.
Just seeing how they sting you if you have a blackbox fitted, I saw one from "freedriver" which says No fines, flex mileage and no curfew....so I'm thinking where's the catch?
Maybe there's an installation charge which somebody mentioned to me.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
These can monitor how you drive, how fast you brake, how you turn round corners, acceleration things like that. Personally I’d pay the extra £500 or what ever it is nowadays than have 1 of them fitted.
I had one and it saved me a ton of money. If you drive fairly reasonable it’ll save you money. If you frequently go over the limit it’ll cost you more. The only downside I would say that caught me out is make sure you are accurate with the projected miles per year as if you go over(which they will know) it will cost you extra in the long run
My daughter had a blackbox in her car the first year of driving and after 9 months the insurance company actually sent her a cheque as part refund for good driving.
Mind you she never drove after 9pm and did maybe less than 3000 miles in the first 9 months but it was well worth it for her at the time.
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 16th Nov
rhysccfc3116/11/2019 15:23

These can monitor how you drive, how fast you brake, how you turn round …These can monitor how you drive, how fast you brake, how you turn round corners, acceleration things like that. Personally I’d pay the extra £500 or what ever it is nowadays than have 1 of them fitted.

Why?
I actually continiously got refunds from my insurance company for driving "safe" and staying 5/5 when I got my first insurance in 2013 with a black box. I'm sure it was admiral. I was over 21 at the time btw
Edited by: "ShishaGod" 16th Nov
porsche911turbo16/11/2019 16:26

My daughter had a blackbox in her car the first year of driving and after …My daughter had a blackbox in her car the first year of driving and after 9 months the insurance company actually sent her a cheque as part refund for good driving.Mind you she never drove after 9pm and did maybe less than 3000 miles in the first 9 months but it was well worth it for her at the time.

This. Wish I had the emails still as I can't remember who my insurance was with
The bit that gets me is they say No curfew, flexible miles and No fines? So even if they monitor him then they’re still not going to impose any penalties I’m guessing?

Btw he is a safe driver and not a boy racer type.
ShishaGod16/11/2019 16:49

This. Wish I had the emails still as I can't remember who my insurance was …This. Wish I had the emails still as I can't remember who my insurance was with

How can you not remember who your insurance is with...? especially when you are paying at the very least a few hundred. Worrying.

If you have an accident and don’t report it (usually within 48hrs, depending on policy) the insurer can seek recovery from you.
It can benefit the insurer. Telematics data is useful for liability purposes. They are also noticed in the event that the car makes contact with another object (don’t hit those speed bumps too hard)

Insurance is also rated on with a risk factor - statistically you are more likely to be a careful driving knowing there is a black box fitted to the vehicle.
Jordztar16/11/2019 17:50

How can you not remember who your insurance is with...? especially when …How can you not remember who your insurance is with...? especially when you are paying at the very least a few hundred. Worrying.If you have an accident and don’t report it (usually within 48hrs, depending on policy) the insurer can seek recovery from you.

Bit harsh.

I change my car insurers every year. I couldn't tell you who my last few insurers were if I'm honest, especially when you're managing multiple vehicles in a household

How can you not remember who your insurance is with...? especially when …How can you not remember who your insurance is with...? especially when you are paying at the very least a few hundred. Worrying.If you have an accident and don’t report it (usually within 48hrs, depending on policy) the insurer can seek recovery from you.

It was about 6 years ago....
I’m with bymiles they use a black box. It just plugs into the OBD2 port.
I am old bugger though.
They state that they are only concerned about the mileage I drive, not speed or time etc.
For low mileage drivers like me it’s great, over 50% cheaper than any other insurance quote I was able to find.
An added bonus was it works as a tracker if stolen.

Might not be cheap for young driver but worth a try.
If you get a referral you get £50 of free miles.
First car was a Pug 206 1.4 8V poverty spec paid just over £900 changed it for a classic beetle a couple of months later and insurance dropped to £300 fully comp with adrian flux.

what car is it OP? If its a typical young drivers car like say a corsa, golf etc then insurance is higher, g for something typically driven by an older generation and it drops keeping specs and performance etc the same, insurance use some crazy algorithms for calculations its a weird thing.
A totally mad idea, if you are over 21 is to buy a new car.
like a fiat 500, when the have a years free insurance included.
Ive seen quotes for young drivers of £3500 - £4500 for a year.
Getting the new car with a year free can work out cheaper over all.
harlzter16/11/2019 18:55

First car was a Pug 206 1.4 8V poverty spec paid just over £900 changed it …First car was a Pug 206 1.4 8V poverty spec paid just over £900 changed it for a classic beetle a couple of months later and insurance dropped to £300 fully comp with adrian flux.what car is it OP? If its a typical young drivers car like say a corsa, golf etc then insurance is higher, g for something typically driven by an older generation and it drops keeping specs and performance etc the same, insurance use some crazy algorithms for calculations its a weird thing.

It's a corsa 1.2 sxi, they say they are one of the cheapest for new drivers
Cheapest I can see is £2100 without black box atm.
With box it's about £1500
I still don't see where the catch is with no fines, flex miles and no curfew but I'm sure there is one
deeky16/11/2019 17:17

Your son, you say?

Oi
Just cause you know me
Daughter was with Adrian Flux for first year, no curfews or penalties on black box, the app just tracked how much your premium would go up or down the next year based on your driving that day. Paid £1500 on 10 year old peugeot 107.
walrus416/11/2019 23:59

Daughter was with Adrian Flux for first year, no curfews or penalties on …Daughter was with Adrian Flux for first year, no curfews or penalties on black box, the app just tracked how much your premium would go up or down the next year based on your driving that day. Paid £1500 on 10 year old peugeot 107.

Ah ok, so maybe that is the answer , thank
bigwheels16/11/2019 18:49

I’m with bymiles they use a black box. It just plugs into the OBD2 port.I a …I’m with bymiles they use a black box. It just plugs into the OBD2 port.I am old bugger though.They state that they are only concerned about the mileage I drive, not speed or time etc.For low mileage drivers like me it’s great, over 50% cheaper than any other insurance quote I was able to find.An added bonus was it works as a tracker if stolen.Might not be cheap for young driver but worth a try.If you get a referral you get £50 of free miles.

That’s interesting
Gollywood16/11/2019 18:16

Bit harsh.I change my car insurers every year. I couldn't tell you who my …Bit harsh.I change my car insurers every year. I couldn't tell you who my last few insurers were if I'm honest, especially when you're managing multiple vehicles in a household

Not really when you are paying such a large sum of money to insure you in the event of a car accident (which could go into thousands).

I’m talking about current insurers...
Jordztar17/11/2019 09:56

.....and?

And.... I don't remember? What's your problem? You misread my post, thinking I was talking about my present insurer; I even said 2013, yet as evident below by your use of the present tense singular 'is' and present tense plural 'are', you thought I was talking about the present insurer. Try actually reading something before jumping the gun. Jeez, newbies these days.

How can you not remember who your insurance is with...? especially when …How can you not remember who your insurance is with...? especially when you are paying at the very least a few hundred. Worrying.

Edited by: "ShishaGod" 17th Nov
Jordztar17/11/2019 09:56

Not really when you are paying such a large sum of money to insure you in …Not really when you are paying such a large sum of money to insure you in the event of a car accident (which could go into thousands).I’m talking about current insurers...

But ShishaGod clearly was referring to 2013.

Gold medal to you for remembering who you were insured with then.
Do it for the first year, once you have NCB switch
Thanks all for the info
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions