Expired

Car insurance write off help please

Found 4th Apr
Hi all just after a bit of advice if possible please my car was hit on the road outside by another car the guy got out and left the car but was insured and the police have taken his car until he reappears the insurance offered me an amount over the phone but I said I was interested in buying the car back as Iv done a lot of work and spent a lot of money on the car.
Iv had a couple of mechanic friends round and both said it’s repairable(the rear axle and wheel will be required & also some scratches to the paintwork)I could get a car the same for around the money they’ve offered but I know what works been done and what hasn’t on mine.
The insurance company are now sending a guy round to assess the damage & Iv been told under no circumstances let them take the vehicle as it’s extremely hard to get it back but the way I understand it was that they need to take the car to a garage to asses what the costs of the repair will be or will he decide there and then when he lands?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jack (:
Community Updates
17 Comments
Worse thing you can do is let them take the car.

Get invoices and a breakdown of the cost of repairs off the couple of your mates and let the insurace know how much it will cost to fix it.

If the value of the repairs exceeds the value of your car they definatly wont pay out.

If your repair costs are cheaper then its beneficial for them to pay out but wouldnt hold your breath. Just dont let them take the car.
what a **** - hit your car and then walked off! Some people. Hope it gets sorted for you.
If the car is written off and you buy it back, it can be difficult to insure. One of the terms of most insurance policies is that the vehicle has not been written off.
Ive recently had.my car written off as Cat N. I had a repair guy come.out and take photos, they decided from that to write it off. I then negotiated a payout plus car back. It never left my house. I don't remember ever being asked if the car has been written off when looking for insurance before?
Insuring the cat in the future may cost more and it’s value overall may be reduced as it will have been registered as an economic write off, so that might need factoring in when you decide to buy it back or not
Thanks everyone for your advice and help
robert19809 h, 38 m ago

Ive recently had.my car written off as Cat N. I had a repair guy come.out …Ive recently had.my car written off as Cat N. I had a repair guy come.out and take photos, they decided from that to write it off. I then negotiated a payout plus car back. It never left my house. I don't remember ever being asked if the car has been written off when looking for insurance before?

It’s a clause in the standard terms (sometimes shown in the assumptions part), I would check your policy documents in more detail. Its also referred to here comparethemarket.com/car…ff/
cmdr_elito1 h, 6 m ago

It’s a clause in the standard terms (sometimes shown in the assumptions p …It’s a clause in the standard terms (sometimes shown in the assumptions part), I would check your policy documents in more detail. Its also referred to here https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/what-happens-if-my-car-is-written-off/

Insurance is up for renewal next month so will keep an eye out for that and check the difference. Cheers
If its just a Cat D then it will be no problem re insuring. Cat C, which sounds like it could be classed as with axel damage, usually requires a VOSA inspection before being allowed on the road.

Luckily I've never had to go down the insurance route myself but it is my understanding that if the accident was not your fault, you are entitled to damand the car be repaired irrespective of costs.

I've been away from the car scene for a few years now so things may have changed but certainly worth looking into.
joesmum15 h, 46 m ago

what a **** - hit your car and then walked off! Some people. Hope it …what a **** - hit your car and then walked off! Some people. Hope it gets sorted for you.

Probably drink/drug driver or something, Disappear to sober up etc. Then they can make excuses etc. No drink/drug driving ban. Although could be shock/scared etc..
Towelie2 h, 1 m ago

If its just a Cat D then it will be no problem re insuring. Cat C, which …If its just a Cat D then it will be no problem re insuring. Cat C, which sounds like it could be classed as with axel damage, usually requires a VOSA inspection before being allowed on the road.Luckily I've never had to go down the insurance route myself but it is my understanding that if the accident was not your fault, you are entitled to damand the car be repaired irrespective of costs. I've been away from the car scene for a few years now so things may have changed but certainly worth looking into.

Your understanding is wrong. They only have to give you market value, You can often get them to increase there offer if you can show them an example of an equivalent model, same spec/year similar millage etc. Plus you can claim excess back if not your fault.
Towelie7 h, 45 m ago

If its just a Cat D then it will be no problem re insuring. Cat C, which …If its just a Cat D then it will be no problem re insuring. Cat C, which sounds like it could be classed as with axel damage, usually requires a VOSA inspection before being allowed on the road.

C and D are for older write-offs, the current write-off system marks cars as either S for structurally damaged but repairable or N for non-structurally damaged cars.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 5th Apr
Thanks to everyone for your reply’s and advice..the guy came today took some pictures etc and then rang this afternoon & said the vehicle would be a cat N and beyond economical repair as the repair cost was exactly the same as they offered me a few days ago he said the insurance company would be in touch in a day or so to arrange to collect the vehicle I said I’d still like to get the car repaired myself and he said that may not be possible as there is axle damage but surely if it’s a cat N it is repairable he said I would need to speak to them about this when they ring..so stressed about the whole thing
I would strip the car from any expensive parts that are still usable, take the insurance money and flog the spare parts.
robert19805th Apr

Insurance is up for renewal next month so will keep an eye out for that …Insurance is up for renewal next month so will keep an eye out for that and check the difference. Cheers

It’s not all policies but is on a lot so just keep an eye out or the insurance may be invalidated.
the procedures for claiming against another driver( or his insurer) are different from claiming against your own insurer be careful there.
simplified, the other driver is responsible to put you back in the same position you were before the accident so a claim to include works done recently on the car would not be out of order, eg you have replaced a timing belt which is a £200 job or you have fitted upgraded alloys so they will increase the value of the car by some amount over the "average" replacement cost
Insurers are bullies when it comes to saving their own pennies so if they give you any crap just say in all fairness you will/should receive professional assistance/advice, ie a claims handler do not take a hire car off one though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions