car insurance write-off question

11 replies
Found 4th Jan
question for somebody in the know. my car was wrote-off after 10 months into a comp motor policy paid in full. Insurer has settled with me and has posted cheque. I have bought another car but insurer refuses to add to existing policy because value of new car exceeds value allowed in current policy, and they tell me I would need to take out a new 12 month policy. My question is can I go on one of the price comparison websites and take out a policy with another company, adding the details of the recent claim I made, and include the protected NCD bonus which I built up on my old policy?

11 Comments

You can transfer ncd to the new provider. You can get quotes to see how comparable the new quotes are with the new policy that your current provider wants you to take out. You may find that because you have recently claimed, the quotes may be high even with the NCD.

Only if you can prove that you have the no claims discount. They will ask for this when you sign up usually in a letter for you to send proof of no claims to them. If you dont send information and you have a claim then they will revoke your insurance. So a question of fact vs risk.

You normally receive proof of your NCD from your when your policy ends, so when you cancel you will get the proof.

My advice, purely as a fleet manager who does not deal with personal cover very often but I do deal with insurance companies might be to have a word with your current insurance companies customer services team. If you are using LV or Co Op, Zurich etc. they might well be able to manage to juggle getting you to the end of your 12 month policy.

Edited by: "groenleader" 4th Jan

bigweapon07

Only if you can prove that you have the no claims discount. They will ask … Only if you can prove that you have the no claims discount. They will ask for this when you sign up usually in a letter for you to send proof of no claims to them. If you dont send information and you have a claim then they will revoke your insurance. So a question of fact vs risk.

NCD will often be quoted in your last insurance renewal letter, if not on the insurance policy document. This will often suffice as evidence to the new insurer.

I had a accident a few years ago that was not my fault and my insurance took my ncd back to 5 year's so I would check first how many you have now before getting a new policy also check you will not be charged by current insurer for leaving and going elsewhere

you can use your ncb but bear in mind your last policy was only 10 months into its 12 month period

Original Poster

​thanks for all replies above.

Yes you can as long as u put all the detials in and ncb as it's protected it should still be the same only downside is if ur were at 5 or whatever years at the beginning of this policy it will still be the same as u haven't got a full year on this year's policy but if it's cheaper then just take out a new policy. you could lower the price if it's not to far off what they will insure or isn't that a option for u. they take market values when something happens anyway not what u give them.

Original Poster

thanks Muddassarsarder. 10 months ago I had 9 years protected NCD, so if I quote same 9 years NCD on new policy I should be ok. Thanks.

If the claim was against an uninsured driver, or the drivers insurance company havent paid it, even if you have NCD protection, you may lose a year or two; the insurance company may not declare you have ANY until the claim is finally settled - the latter is what I had about 15 years ago, when a drunk ploughed into my car, it took months to sort out and I had to pay on the basis on no No Claims Bonus until the case was settled; then they refunded me the difference.

If you are with the RAC, you may be screwed, I declared some new alloys on my car for a new quote, and they cancelled my policy on the spot; it only had four days to run!!

All was good though, I got insurance from somewhere else for £100 less than the RAC renewal quote.

A lot of people do not realise that any claim is an excuse for insurance companies to quote higher . It is also a ',no claim bonus', not a no blame bonus!

How ever if you are involved and it is not your fault, you should ensure any settlement you agree includes a clause to cover x,s as a direct result in future be paid as well, ie. if your insurance premium increases , then you claim back the increase from the other side as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland2355
    2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)70564
    3. HUKD Hottest deals side bar was far better before22
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769323

See more discussions