Expired

Car is blocking my drive

Found 2nd Aug
Hi.

Just looking for advice, my car is parked in my driveway and someone has parked and blocked me in so i cant get out of my drive with my car, its been there since about 11am, ive asked all the neighbours who’s car it is but no one knows, i suspect its someone from the nearby hospital whos car it is, i need to shopping later on just wondering what are my options regarding the council or police if its still there about 7pm?
Community Updates
AskHome & LivingCar
Top comments
What's that?
You've heard a small child or dog inside the car crying/barking for help, as it's a warm day.
The only way you can help them is to locate a brick and persuade the windows to open.

That's strange, you've persuaded all of the windows to open, but the crying/barking has stopped.
Oh well, it must have been a neighbour's TV set that was too loud.

What's that? (part two).
The car looks like it's running low on oil. Noooooo.
You can't access the engine, but you see an exhaust pipe.
You go get your oil can and help the car feel better for later when the naughty driver drives it away.
When at uni my student house in the middle of Plymouth had a driveway that someone began to park on every night for a couple of weeks. A couple of us had girlfriends with cars who frequently visited and so had nowhere to park so we left a couple of notes on the car but to no avail. The drive backed onto an alleyway which was conveniently used as a rat run by the good people of Plymouth each morning to avoid a busy main road. One drunken night myself and two friends ‘encouraged’ the car away from our drive and into said alley. At 8 the next morning we were woken by the horns of angry commuters and a bloke with a thick Plymouth accent shouting at a parking warden who had ticketed his car claiming that he hadn’t left his car there. He then saw us, started shouting he was going to kill us etc etc, which ourselves and the traffic warden reported to the Police who visited him later that day and made him apologise.
Most satisfying day ever and I learnthow surprisingly easy it is to move a car, even with its handbrake on.
deleted1132166

Call this lovely Turkish gentleman
56 Comments
Someone did that to us once, I called police but no luck. My oh had to go to work too
Leaving a note on the screen won't work either.
TXT 101 and ask the police. I wouldn't mention anything about 7pm it may seem less urgent
Misslovely2 m ago

Someone did that to us once, I called police but no luck. My oh had to go …Someone did that to us once, I called police but no luck. My oh had to go to work tooLeaving a note on the screen won't work either.

Its starting to annoy me now tbh, wasnt too fussed at first as i knew i wasnt going anywhere soon but i need to go shopping and tonight my only chance to go, looks like il end up getting taxis there and back 😫😫
qwales2 m ago

TXT 101 and ask the police. I wouldn't mention anything about 7pm it may …TXT 101 and ask the police. I wouldn't mention anything about 7pm it may seem less urgent

I doubt they would do anything tbh, unless the car was stolen i assume its a council issue but i cant see the council rushing to do anything about it.
SteMoss3 m ago

Its starting to annoy me now tbh, wasnt too fussed at first as i knew i …Its starting to annoy me now tbh, wasnt too fussed at first as i knew i wasnt going anywhere soon but i need to go shopping and tonight my only chance to go, looks like il end up getting taxis there and back 😫😫

Have they totally blocked it? I'm sure they must have left 30% gap .
Ask the neighbour to help you reverse
Misslovely2 m ago

Have they totally blocked it? I'm sure they must have left 30% gap . Ask …Have they totally blocked it? I'm sure they must have left 30% gap . Ask the neighbour to help you reverse

Its completely blocked
Oh that would annoy me. I remember my dad getting blocked in in a car park once when I was about six. Managed to get out eventually so my mum scrawled inconsiderate parking on the windscreen in lipstick
get a cling film and wrap the car several times. if it keeps happening use sellotape and keep upgrading (right till duct tape lol)

you could ring the council as well to see if they can issue a ticket
Edited by: "mattsk" 2nd Aug
A friend of mine was working near a school in Bridgend and witnessed a person, who was obviously sick of this happening, go hurtling up his drive and rammed the car into the middle of the road. If it was me, I'd call a few friends and get it towed somewhere.
It's is a police issue to obstruct a car from gaining entrance to the road (it sadly isn't an issue to park over an empty drive however).

Definitely would have rung the non-emergency number a few hours ago if it was me. Some force areas are superb in handling it.

It's better than doing nothing unless you have a few burly friends who can physically move the car.

It would have annoyed me hours ago, it's beyond a joke.
deleted1132166

Call this lovely Turkish gentleman
unfortunately there's nothing the police or council will do as blocking a drive is not an offence at all.

However here's a few ideas of what you can do.

1. Check online that its taxed and MOTed. If its then its illegal and it will be towed.
2. wrap it in cling film
3. Call two friends and get them to park bumper to bumper so it cant move. See how the owner like it.
Leave a note on the windscreen. Lipstick is good as it doesnt run in rain. Mind you, its a bugger to clean off
Just got off the phone to the police on 101, didnt want to take up to much of their time but basically gave them the reg and they said what i expected that if its not stolen there is nothing they can do.
Wadda6 m ago

unfortunately there's nothing the police or council will do as blocking a …unfortunately there's nothing the police or council will do as blocking a drive is not an offence at all. However here's a few ideas of what you can do.1. Check online that its taxed and MOTed. If its then its illegal and it will be towed. 2. wrap it in cling film3. Call two friends and get them to park bumper to bumper so it cant move. See how the owner like it.

Lol! The 2 car bumper to bumper thing did cross my mind, just so that the owner would have to knock on my door
Phone the police and say there's drugs in the car .
Leaving lipstick is a criminal offence, so I wouldn't go through that route. Id do what someone else mentioned, park cars in front and back bumper to bumper and watch the bugger trying to reverse out
Have you got a trolley jack or a couple of burly mates ? Looks like you only have to shift it a few feet to get out . Maybe quicker would be to "bounce" it to set the alarm off - Might bring the owner out of hiding .
Edited by: "rogparki" 2nd Aug
Gynx15 m ago

It's is a police issue to obstruct a car from gaining entrance to the road …It's is a police issue to obstruct a car from gaining entrance to the road (it sadly isn't an issue to park over an empty drive however).Definitely would have rung the non-emergency number a few hours ago if it was me. Some force areas are superb in handling it. It's better than doing nothing unless you have a few burly friends who can physically move the car. It would have annoyed me hours ago, it's beyond a joke.

I agree with you that it is a police issue. Disagree on the empty and non empty definitions you have.

This is defined in the highway code, specifically Rules 242 and 243.

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.
Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103

DO NOT stop or park
  • in front of an entrance to a property

Now the highway act is criminal not civil which means it is wholly a police matter. It isn't top of their agenda, as neither it should be, a person being mugged at the bottom of your road is something more important to address.

However, if they are failing to act and come out, then I would ask them for the crime number and question if they are authorising you needing to take action having called multiple times with no means to accessing your property. This places a bit more significance on it as if they then fail to act and you were to commit your own criminal act (not saying you should) they would be in part cupable.

Reality is then next patrol. available not on an emergency, will pop by and ticket car. Then agree to revisit and if still there arrange collection and tow (all at owners cost).
Edited by: "vileda_the_best" 2nd Aug
reverse right up to the drivers door, get a neighbor to help you get as close as you can then leave it and wait for them to knock at your door or watch them trying to climb over the passengers side
vileda_the_best7 m ago

This is defined in the highway code, specifically Rules 242 and 243.242

You do know the Highway Code isn't legislation don't you?
This happened to me. I have a load of breeze blocks so I raised it up on four corners with my trolly jack and left a note on the car. Most people are not really sure how to lower cars raised that high.
Edited by: "mogsog" 2nd Aug
What's that?
You've heard a small child or dog inside the car crying/barking for help, as it's a warm day.
The only way you can help them is to locate a brick and persuade the windows to open.

That's strange, you've persuaded all of the windows to open, but the crying/barking has stopped.
Oh well, it must have been a neighbour's TV set that was too loud.

What's that? (part two).
The car looks like it's running low on oil. Noooooo.
You can't access the engine, but you see an exhaust pipe.
You go get your oil can and help the car feel better for later when the naughty driver drives it away.
Get someone to drag it to the middle of the road either by towing or jacking with enough for you to get out and leave it. It will soon get moved by the police or council.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell3 m ago

What's that? You've heard a small child or dog inside the car …What's that? You've heard a small child or dog inside the car crying/barking for help, as it's a warm day.The only way you can help them is to locate a brick and persuade the windows to open.That's strange, you've persuaded all of the windows to open, but the crying/barking has stopped.Oh well, it must have been a neighbour's TV set that was too loud.What's that? (part two).The car looks like it's running low on oil. Noooooo.You can't access the engine, but you see an exhaust pipe.You go get your oil can and help the car feel better for later when the naughty driver drives it away.

I like that
Wadda30 m ago

unfortunately there's nothing the police or council will do as blocking a …unfortunately there's nothing the police or council will do as blocking a drive is not an offence at all. However here's a few ideas of what you can do.1. Check online that its taxed and MOTed. If its then its illegal and it will be towed. 2. wrap it in cling film3. Call two friends and get them to park bumper to bumper so it cant move. See how the owner like it.

I reported one with no tax no insurance and no MOT been left in our garages car park area, took nearly 3 weeks to be towed, I have a feeling it had been abandoned as it never moved and no one ever came to it (I put a piece of folded paper in the door gap that would fall out if door opened), in the end it was the DVLA who seized it. So depending on how good (or bad) your local force is they may not action it.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell11 m ago

The car looks like it's running low on oil. Noooooo.You can't access the …The car looks like it's running low on oil. Noooooo.You can't access the engine, but you see an exhaust pipe.You go get your oil can and help the car feel better for later when the naughty driver drives it away.

And end up with oil outside your own driveway when it coughs it out again.
Misslovely26 m ago

Leaving lipstick is a criminal offence, so I wouldn't go through that …Leaving lipstick is a criminal offence, so I wouldn't go through that route. Id do what someone else mentioned, park cars in front and back bumper to bumper and watch the bugger trying to reverse out

A common misunderstanding. It's not criminal if it's the only thing you have to hand that is capable of achieving the result. The same as using gripper rod to repair a wall.
Gynx35 m ago

It's is a police issue to obstruct a car from gaining entrance to the road …It's is a police issue to obstruct a car from gaining entrance to the road (it sadly isn't an issue to park over an empty drive however).Definitely would have rung the non-emergency number a few hours ago if it was me. Some force areas are superb in handling it. It's better than doing nothing unless you have a few burly friends who can physically move the car. It would have annoyed me hours ago, it's beyond a joke.

Drive wasn't empty. As long as they have a dropped kerb it is illegal. Also they are parked opposite a junction.
Check the tax, mot, and insurance. If there's anything missing call the police.
Is that a yellow line on the road?
windym29 m ago

You do know the Highway Code isn't legislation don't you?

Good spot - I clearly meant road traffics act 1988 (highways act is definitely special) point I was making is the same though, as per the govenments take on it:

34578123-FJe9B.jpg
Edited by: "vileda_the_best" 2nd Aug
mrty8 m ago

Is that a yellow line on the road?

No. Its a white line.
Wadda1 h, 0 m ago

Bumper to bumper sounds perfect. My kind of thinking
ding45 m ago

reverse right up to the drivers door, get a neighbor to help you get as …reverse right up to the drivers door, get a neighbor to help you get as close as you can then leave it and wait for them to knock at your door or watch them trying to climb over the passengers side

OP would then be blocking the pavement which is more of a dick move than parking across someones drive.
Wadda1 h, 18 m ago

Let all the tires down and shove a potato in the exhaust egg and flour it while your there! They won’t return!
caverncity1 h, 0 m ago

Get someone to drag it to the middle of the road either by towing or …Get someone to drag it to the middle of the road either by towing or jacking with enough for you to get out and leave it. It will soon get moved by the police or council.

I'd recommend this. You have got to be a total **** to do something like that...parking over someone's driveway that is. Only someone with 0 brain cells or someone who doesn't give a would be as inconsiderate as the person that's done that
Car had gone! Didn’t see who it was but at least its now moved 🏼
SteMoss1 h, 39 m ago

Car had gone! Didn’t see who it was but at least its now moved & …Car had gone! Didn’t see who it was but at least its now moved 🏼

Did you leave a note. Might be back tomorrow
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants