Car key fixing

Posted 29th Feb
one of my car key has lost the little square rubber to open the car's door. I cannot press it anymore. Short of replacing the entire key, does anyone know if there is a way to fix that? TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Which car is it. You just need to buy the key plastic cover. Case with rubberish buttons.
eBay should sell them & than take it to timpson & they will simply remove all the electronic innards if the old key and place it in your new key outer casing.
Example for an Audi
40017600-OS7X7.jpg
Edited by: "adamderak" 29th Feb
adamderak29/02/2020 23:50

Which car is it. You just need to buy the key plastic cover. Case with …Which car is it. You just need to buy the key plastic cover. Case with rubberish buttons.eBay should sell them & than take it to timpson & they will simply remove all the electronic innards if the old key and place it in your new key outer casing.Example for an Audi [Image]

Got it, i think I have found what i am looking for. Mine is £1.99 (Citroen C3) so for the price i am taking a chance, thanks again
jeannot1829/02/2020 23:57

Got it, i think I have found what i am looking for. Mine is £1.99 (Citroen …Got it, i think I have found what i am looking for. Mine is £1.99 (Citroen C3) so for the price i am taking a chance, thanks again

If you go to timpson they can provide you with the cover but charge a lot more.
If you can try just replacing the button , rather than swapping whole unit.
A. It's a lot simpler
B. The original keys cover tend to be better quality.
Either way don't get ripped off, it's an inexpensive repair.
adamderak01/03/2020 00:02

If you go to timpson they can provide you with the cover but charge a lot …If you go to timpson they can provide you with the cover but charge a lot more.If you can try just replacing the button , rather than swapping whole unit. A. It's a lot simplerB. The original keys cover tend to be better quality.Either way don't get ripped off, it's an inexpensive repair.

Timpson wouldn't do it. They would book an auto-electrician to program a new key.
Willy_Wonka01/03/2020 00:11

Timpson wouldn't do it. They would book an auto-electrician to program a …Timpson wouldn't do it. They would book an auto-electrician to program a new key.

Did mine, it's just the outer casing that needs fixing, not the electronic innards
adamderak01/03/2020 00:15

Did mine, it's just the outer casing that needs fixing, not the electronic …Did mine, it's just the outer casing that needs fixing, not the electronic innards

I bet you didn't have a 3 button key?
Willy_Wonka01/03/2020 00:18

I bet you didn't have a 3 button key?

Did Audi S5
Probably depends on the chappy.
Some are really helpful
Edited by: "adamderak" 1st Mar
jeannot1829/02/2020 23:57

Got it, i think I have found what i am looking for. Mine is £1.99 (Citroen …Got it, i think I have found what i am looking for. Mine is £1.99 (Citroen C3) so for the price i am taking a chance, thanks again

Make sure you transfer any immobilisation transponder as well, although in many instances it is glued in place to he housing and may be irrecoverably damaged during transfer. No doubt YT will assist in showing transfer options if one needs transfer.
adamderak01/03/2020 00:19

Did Audi S5Probably depends on the chappy. Some are really helpful

Timpsons do not do 3 button programming keys instore. They send out auto-electricians. They do not have the equipment to do it instore. What they have is key cutting & the ability to copy the immobilisation. So if you have a key with one button then they can do it. If not then they cannot do it.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 1st Mar
AndyRoyd01/03/2020 00:21

Make sure you transfer any immobilisation transponder as well, although in …Make sure you transfer any immobilisation transponder as well, although in many instances it is glued in place to he housing and may be irrecoverably damaged during transfer. No doubt YT will assist in showing transfer options if one needs transfer.

ok thanks, like i said if it is not doable i am just losing a couple of quids. I have got a second set of keys, and the broken one can still be used manually. But i just would like to have the two sets
Willy_Wonka01/03/2020 00:30

Timpsons do not do 3 button programming keys instore. They send out …Timpsons do not do 3 button programming keys instore. They send out auto-electricians. They do not have the equipment to do it instore. What they have is key cutting & the ability to copy the immobilisation. So if you have a key with one button then they can do it. If not then they cannot do it.

I think you have missed what op needs to do.
There is no programming required, no equipment needed.
It is a simple case of moving all the innards of one key into another.
I've done it myself, it's easy but Timpsons can probably do it without scuffing the key up like I did
Same happened to mine. I couldn't find a shell, and I wasn't going to pay for a new one. I did buy a leather case from Amazon which works perfectly. The only thing I had to do was use double sided tape to keep the edges down.
40018147-a5iZ4.jpg
I had exact issue with Kia picanto key fob. Found on ebay just the rubber middle section so it was just a case of gently pulling off the rubber off the old fob which was falling apart anyway. The new rubber just pushed on
Key replacement arrived, fitted perfectly, it's like a brand new key
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants