Car Lease do's and don'ts

Posted 9th Oct
I have an old banger that's served me really well and is one of the cheapest to run.
I'm tempted to try the leasing option for short term (2 to 3 years) as I believe the government will be looking to ban diesel cars in the near future.

Can I please get some right advice as a leasing noobi?

I'm looking for around £ 250' (£ 280 max) per month along with a reasonable down payment. I don't want a little hatch (smart 2, micra, fiesta, etc).

I'm looking ideally at the IONIC, QASHQAI, KIA NIRO, TOYOTA COROLLA type mid-sized cars that would fall apart in a matter of months.

How tricky is to deal with the lease dealer to negotiate maintenance plans? Is it worth getting maintenance on top of the monthly lease amount?

Are you opening yourself up to the mercy (or rather lack of ) of the dealer when returning the car at the end of the lease?

Does anyone have examples of good or bad behaviour from dealers when they have returned their cars that they can share?
I am concerned that not knowing the right things (like memorising answers from previous year's question papers) might make me end up making silly mistakes with leasing that I would love to avoid.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Buy an old banger and then another old banger when that banger becomes too uneconomical to repair etc.. So many good cars getting scrapped/recycled that would probably easily have several years left in them etc..

All these environmentalalist don't seem to take into account the remanufacture of goods etc.. It's all one big scam to encourage folk to buy new cars etc..
18 Comments
There is a guide you’re given that explains the damage you’re allowed when returning. As long as there is no major damage you’re fine.
alankfc0209/10/2019 20:54

There is a guide you’re given that explains the damage you’re allowed when …There is a guide you’re given that explains the damage you’re allowed when returning. As long as there is no major damage you’re fine.

Yes but I'm asking for real life experiences of handing cars back in 'reasonable' condition for a 2/3 years usage.
I never had any issues. Not looking forward to my next one as I used a magnetic screen protector last winter and scratched the hell out the front of my car.
38636501-C5Wtv.jpg
I would avoid a big deposit as if you write the car off in an accident you lose the deposit.

You shouldn't need any paid for maintanace apart from 1 service on a 2 year lease or 2 services on a 3 year lease so I wouldn't.

I am on my 3rd 2 year lease and not had many issues when returning the cars apart from they messed up the millage readings on my last return and I had to complain.

I suggest making sure the car is cleaned prior to them collecting and taking any photos including the mileage.

Check how much per mile over the max limit you may pay usually in my experiance 7ppm to 12ppm
I had a fiesta 1.6 - 59 plate that I did over 160k in, was a great and reliable car. I now have a focus with all the extras as I wanted something bigger as I often have work colleagues join me for journeys between sites for meetings.

The government isn’t banning diesels, Euro 6 diesels are exempt from emissions charging, older Diesel engines are chargeable.

In terms of leasing if you only do minimal miles don’t worry about maintenance as new cars tend to only require tyres and brakes.

Also look at PCP I know ford do this with 0%. I’m currently on 38k with my focus and about a year and a half to go on the agreement so far I’ve changed two tyres (fronts) rears should do about 50k or more and just pay for services. There was no upfront and my payments are less than £300 a month. I have the option to buy the car for 6k at the end of the agreement.

Excess mileage charges can apply so make sure you pick the right mileage band for what you’ll need

Some leasing companies can be fussy on damage but many will accept minor scratches as normal wear.

GAP insurance is a must.

Quasqai’s are awful btw they are for people who know nothing about cars.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Oct
Buy an old banger and then another old banger when that banger becomes too uneconomical to repair etc.. So many good cars getting scrapped/recycled that would probably easily have several years left in them etc..

All these environmentalalist don't seem to take into account the remanufacture of goods etc.. It's all one big scam to encourage folk to buy new cars etc..
.MUFC.09/10/2019 22:27

Buy an old banger and then another old banger when that banger becomes too …Buy an old banger and then another old banger when that banger becomes too uneconomical to repair etc.. So many good cars getting scrapped/recycled that would probably easily have several years left in them etc..All these environmentalalist don't seem to take into account the remanufacture of goods etc.. It's all one big scam to encourage folk to buy new cars etc..

Well said.
My first car was £150 with full years mot and tax. I sold it a year later for £50 with no mot. didn't spend a penny on it apart from petrol and insurance.
.MUFC.09/10/2019 22:27

Buy an old banger and then another old banger when that banger becomes too …Buy an old banger and then another old banger when that banger becomes too uneconomical to repair etc.. So many good cars getting scrapped/recycled that would probably easily have several years left in them etc..All these environmentalalist don't seem to take into account the remanufacture of goods etc.. It's all one big scam to encourage folk to buy new cars etc..

Depends where you live. If you live in a ULEZ zone or where they are about to create one then it’ll cost you up to £20 a day to use your car if it’s a diesel and not a EURO 6 Model, which if you use it 5 days a week could equate to upwards of £5,200 a year of charges which equates to £433 a month so buying a new car for sub £300 a month is actually cheaper.

If you live in the sticks somewhere and don’t go into cities you can probably get away with continuing to use older diesel cars or look at switching to petrol where the rules are less stringent at the moment.

Current rules from London ULEZ

Minimum emission standards
Petrol: Euro 4
Diesel: Euro 6

The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. However:

Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001
Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Oct
cmdr_elito10/10/2019 05:17

Depends where you live. If you live in a ULEZ zone or where they are about …Depends where you live. If you live in a ULEZ zone or where they are about to create one then it’ll cost you up to £20 a day to use your car if it’s a diesel and not a EURO 6 Model, which if you use it 5 days a week could equate to upwards of £5,200 a year of charges which equates to £433 a month so buying a new car for sub £300 a month is actually cheaper.If you live in the sticks somewhere and don’t go into cities you can probably get away with continuing to use older diesel cars or look at switching to petrol where the rules are less stringent at the moment.Current rules from London ULEZMinimum emission standardsPetrol: Euro 4Diesel: Euro 6The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. However:Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015

My 6 year old Zafira Tourer is Euro 6 and fairly cheap. Probably worth around 4k now. Probably best to buy a petrol though tbh if in those areas.

You raised a good point though and it is something to consider. Fortunately there should still be plenty of old bangers around that fit the bill.
I live in London so yes ULEZ compliance is needed
Id go for for something like Skoda Karoq which is on a great deal.
Good car, great mpg, works out to £197 over all per month, posted here
They may be banning new diesel cars in the future, certainly not the near future. They won't be banning existing diesels, they have promoted buying diesels for so many years they can't and won't at any point say that all these cars are all banned now and you cannot use them. You are perfectly safe with your old banger for a long time to come. May have issues with emission zones and the like but who knows where that will go.

Leasing is a great way to get a new car and renew every year or two. I wouldn't do it if you are the type to keep cars for longer... And thus like to save/not waste money.
Thanks for all the points so far. My single main concern still remains. What happens when there's visual damage on the car and how can the dealer put a cost on it when you return the car?
You wont know till you return it.... I can share my experiance, I am sure there are more horror stories than positive.

We had 2 cars through lease.. they both had scuffs on the wheels when we returned them, some fine scratches here and there and some tiny stone chips... VW did not bat an eye-lid.

The cars where filthy dirty and my wife managed to return one with 0 miles fuel remaining
Lease cars aren't usually handed back to or inspected by a dealer. The finance company will usually send someone out to inspect it prior to it being collected.

BCA do lots of end of lease inspections as the cars often end up at auctions. The inspections should be in accordance with BVRLA guidelines. You should do your own honest appraisal of your vehicles condition prior to inspection and decide if you think anything needs repairing. However do bear in mind that the charges from the lease company can be much less than the cost of having it repaired yourself, so it may not be worth bothering with.

When I handed my last lease car back I was initially charged for a bad accident repair. However this charge was waived as the work had been done by a manufacturer approved bodyshop.

Whether it's worth bothering with maintenance plan will depend on how many miles you expect to cover and how long your lease is. Unless it's more than 10k miles per year I personally wouldn't bother. Bear in mind that there will also be an excess mileage charge on the maintenance plan as well as the car.
.MUFC.10/10/2019 07:34

My 6 year old Zafira Tourer is Euro 6 and fairly cheap. Probably worth …My 6 year old Zafira Tourer is Euro 6 and fairly cheap. Probably worth around 4k now. Probably best to buy a petrol though tbh if in those areas. You raised a good point though and it is something to consider. Fortunately there should still be plenty of old bangers around that fit the bill.

There’s certainly a lot more room on the petrol side of things in terms of choice due to the allowance of Euro 4 onwards but yes your right there should be some cheapish euro 6 diesels around too which are compliant.
h4music10/10/2019 14:15

Thanks for all the points so far. My single main concern still remains. …Thanks for all the points so far. My single main concern still remains. What happens when there's visual damage on the car and how can the dealer put a cost on it when you return the car?

If there is bad damage you will have to either pay for it to be repaired or claim off insurance.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Oct
h4music10/10/2019 14:15

Thanks for all the points so far. My single main concern still remains. …Thanks for all the points so far. My single main concern still remains. What happens when there's visual damage on the car and how can the dealer put a cost on it when you return the car?

That's an unanswerable question because it's all down to the dealer/leasing company that you return the car to. My daughter leased a Ford car on a PCP and the dealer we had to return it to was an absolute nightmare; to the extent that one of the 'faults' the goon who inspected it listed was actually a dirt splash from driving the car down the skanky alleyway that led to their showroom! In the end, my daughter paid the option fee at the end of the lease and bought the car which we sold at a reasonable profit a couple of weeks later.

She then leased an Alfa Romeo and had absolutely no trouble at all when she returned the car at the end of the lease. It had a fair few dings and scratches but they accepted these. From memory, there is something on bothAlfa Romeo's and Ford's websites about acceptable damage but it is typically vague and definitely open to interpretation.

The problem, of course, is that different dealers/lease companies will interpret the rules exactly how they want. Though I would expect them to be much more amenable if you were to lease another car from them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants