Car Leasing - deals and options. Dealer or 3rd Party

Found 10th Jan
Evening all

Just after some recommendations, maybe deals anyone seen but not posted.

Our car just turned 5 years old and it's time to get rid, not my choice at all but partner just paid over £1000 on its past service interval and £1000 8 months before that and now said it's time to part ways, warranty and dealer goodwill all but gone and now costs starting to add up.

Looking for another lease deal, only PCH option though.

We have A5 at present and looking to change, to what not sure depends on how good deal is.

Paying it off in one go though, seen a few CLA and equivalents for around £7500 so that would be maximum to pay on a 24 month

Anyone know if deals would be better paying it all upfront, I know it works better on PCP but unsure if it's the same lease only.

Any recommendations for best lease companies to use, will dealer do better offers if you are paying in full upfront rather than monthly

Also not looking to buy second hand, would rather have zero hassle, zero maintenance costs and manufacturers warranty again.

Don't have anything in particular in mind make and model wise as not had any reason to look at current market for years.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Always get a price for a lease from the dealers. Both lease cars we have has been from the dealers as they have beat my best online quote by more than £20 per month.

I do find it puzzling though that people buy Audi, BMW and Mercs and then complain at the price to maintain them. They are premium cars and ongoing parts and maintenance comes at a premium price.

I looked at the CLA but the engine choices were terrible and I am led to believe that one of the engines is actually a Renault engine
Edited by: "mds1256" 10th Jan
I wouldn't consider paying it all upfront. Even if they allowed you to, it's very risky if something goes wrong. It probably won't save you much money either. Keep the money in your bank account for as long as you can, unless there's a big financial incentive to part with it.

Not sure if you saw it, but there was a cheap Audi A5 cabriolet deal posted on here only yesterday. A little over £6k for 2 years at 8k miles. Unfortunately that deal looks to have sold out, but other good deals crop up fairly regularly if you're not too picky.

If you're after a specific car have a look at WhatCar Leasing, Contract Hire & Leasing as well as well known broker sites such as NVS, Central, Select etc. The brokers often offer low payments but usually charge an administrator fee varying between from around £120 up to £500. If you deal with a dealership rather than a broker there are usually (but not always) no fees.

Also search the deals section here by searching for 'lease'. Just a note of warning though; the best deals don't hang around for long so you need to act quickly if you find something that looks super-cheap.

Good luck.
Edited by: "Guzzle" 10th Jan
Original Poster
mds125652 m ago

Always get a price for a lease from the dealers. Both lease cars we have …Always get a price for a lease from the dealers. Both lease cars we have has been from the dealers as they have beat my best online quote by more than £20 per month.I do find it puzzling though that people buy Audi, BMW and Mercs and then complain at the price to maintain them. They are premium cars and ongoing parts and maintenance comes at a premium price.I looked at the CLA but the engine choices were terrible and I am led to believe that one of the engines is actually a Renault engine

Lol, agree there, as nice as some German car's are they are pricey when needing work but it's not a shock as much as it's expected right from day one.

Guess it's not so much the cost especially when nearly new but as they get older £2000 in 13 months is a lot when car value starts dropping but won't ever complain, I love it. Problem is with age the percentage cost of maintenance to value starts creeping into decisions, yet Apart from serviceable parts never ever had a single issue ever Same went with our other car, the shed. We paid a grand for it had it over 4 years and only ever needed 1 set of tyres and 2 brake pads used everyday ferrying round kids, dogs, tips runs, work stuff, hard done by car/van yet as it was a VX all of a sudden everything broke and came off at once but some drunk idiot with no insurance wrote it off and that story ended, for us at least... New chapter for the polish guy that bought it off us, he just used a hammer and some zip lines knocked it about a bit and friends still see it driving around.

Not even sure where to start with cars now, so many new and updated versions, even cars wouldn't have dreamed of owning in past such as KIA, Peugeot even some fords.

Think that's where problem lies, set a budget of £7500 to see where that puts us but with prices fluctuating hard to keep up. What ever we find or see really needs to be no more than 6 weeks turnaround for delivery just in case something better comes along before delivery.

5 years back the likes of German cars were all anyone would recommend but some many alternatives, KIA stinger was in OHs list but those prices are ridiculous. Then there's Peugeot 3008 which looks really nice, new sportage with all options, Q5 s line, the Alfa Romeo beginning with Q, new 5 series, A6

Just want something as nice as ours, preferably as economical and nippy, though ours has had money spent upgrading it over time.

CLA looks nice depending on colour but yes a Renault engine was mentioned on what car but that came up on A class so not sure if it's across the entire range. Never been fans of mercantile but have seen 2 this week and both looked nice, given its colour and wheels probably helped loads.

But always on the lookout for that nice car with the killer deal, especially if can save money, will please his royal tightness(when it suits!). The £6200 deal for that A5 convertible my OH noted was a bargain, noting that a qashqai costs more but with 2 kids and 2 dogs it's completely impractical, much like my partner's GT350 and 500 eBay choice.

But as we would have diesel being our first choice need to be sooner rather than later before rules change.
What went wrong with the current car? If the £2k was routine servicing then that means those jobs aren’t due for a few more years again.
Even if not routine servicing items are they known issues on that model and the rest is sound.
£7.5k on a lease in 2 years doesn’t give you a car to keep. If you ploughed £7.5k into your current car it would probably be brand new again and yours.
What I’m saying is, will your car actually cost you anything in the next 2 years?
Original Poster
Guzzle1 h, 39 m ago

I wouldn't consider paying it all upfront. Even if they allowed you to, …I wouldn't consider paying it all upfront. Even if they allowed you to, it's very risky if something goes wrong. It probably won't save you much money either. Keep the money in your bank account for as long as you can, unless there's a big financial incentive to part with it.Not sure if you saw it, but there was a cheap Audi A5 cabriolet deal posted on here only yesterday. A little over £6k for 2 years at 8k miles. Unfortunately that deal looks to have sold out, but other good deals crop up fairly regularly if you're not too picky. If you're after a specific car have a look at WhatCar Leasing, Contract Hire & Leasing as well as well known broker sites such as NVS, Central, Select etc. The brokers often offer low payments but usually charge an administrator fee varying between from around £120 up to £500. If you deal with a dealership rather than a broker there are usually (but not always) no fees.Also search the deals section here by searching for 'lease'. Just a note of warning though; the best deals don't hang around for long so you need to act quickly if you find something that looks super-cheap.Good luck.

Thanks guzzle, advice taken on board. Just mentioned the A5 deal earlier, OH said it was cheap and he is a tight ass but soon impractical be nightmare to live with, unless someone adopted both our children and 1 of the dogs.

OH decision to pay upfront, we don't have monthly payments for anything at all except for 2 utilities, water, gas and electric and 1 for sky broadband. Other than that nothing else except everyday purchases leaves our accounts so he doesn't want anymore.

What are pitfalls for paying upfront, going to hazard a guess whilst typing this now but is it in relation to insurance and potential future accidents. If that's so it sort of makes sense if my thinking is right but without knowing terms of say lease wouldn't know if you are tied to full term and all monies say for whole 24 months if you have accident and car written off after 6 months who owes what and how much. Can't say anything like that outcome has even crossed my mind but then again i don't worry about stuff like that but not even sure my OH has thought about the possibility of a what if, he knows he can hopefully get a better deal paying in one go and as someone else mentioned cut out middleman and work out a deal saved them 20 a month and gather no fees which beats any interest rate out there at the moment, so leaving it in the bank negates any potential interest acrued and in turn adds a monthly outgoing and commitment to us which we dont really want.

Though will chat about possible pitfalls especially if there are actual financial risks to us, but even I know money in your hand can get your much better deals long term and that's all he is interested in. Monthly payments always have hidden extras, likes of car insurance, house insurance. Paying upfront always gets you the right deal, paying monthly you tend to look at it as can we afford that much, yes ok but then have a lack of disregard to the total amount due after 12 months.

But thanks for shedding some light on things we may not of even put in any consideration

Guess it's just a quick fire game and jump on best deals as and when they come along, hoping a better one doesn't pop up shortly after as it would be me that has to live with the whining for 2 years if that happened
Try what car leasing. I was offered a Kia Sportage 1.7 for £150 with 6 month up front. They try to undercut each other. The £150 a month included delivery from Warwickshire to Newcastle
charleaward8119 h, 7 m ago

Thanks guzzle, advice taken on board. Just mentioned the A5 deal earlier, …Thanks guzzle, advice taken on board. Just mentioned the A5 deal earlier, OH said it was cheap and he is a tight ass but soon impractical be nightmare to live with, unless someone adopted both our children and 1 of the dogs.OH decision to pay upfront, we don't have monthly payments for anything at all except for 2 utilities, water, gas and electric and 1 for sky broadband. Other than that nothing else except everyday purchases leaves our accounts so he doesn't want anymore. What are pitfalls for paying upfront, going to hazard a guess whilst typing this now but is it in relation to insurance and potential future accidents. If that's so it sort of makes sense if my thinking is right but without knowing terms of say lease wouldn't know if you are tied to full term and all monies say for whole 24 months if you have accident and car written off after 6 months who owes what and how much. Can't say anything like that outcome has even crossed my mind but then again i don't worry about stuff like that but not even sure my OH has thought about the possibility of a what if, he knows he can hopefully get a better deal paying in one go and as someone else mentioned cut out middleman and work out a deal saved them 20 a month and gather no fees which beats any interest rate out there at the moment, so leaving it in the bank negates any potential interest acrued and in turn adds a monthly outgoing and commitment to us which we dont really want.Though will chat about possible pitfalls especially if there are actual financial risks to us, but even I know money in your hand can get your much better deals long term and that's all he is interested in. Monthly payments always have hidden extras, likes of car insurance, house insurance. Paying upfront always gets you the right deal, paying monthly you tend to look at it as can we afford that much, yes ok but then have a lack of disregard to the total amount due after 12 months. But thanks for shedding some light on things we may not of even put in any consideration Guess it's just a quick fire game and jump on best deals as and when they come along, hoping a better one doesn't pop up shortly after as it would be me that has to live with the whining for 2 years if that happened

You're mostly right about the risks, but it's not only accidents it's theft too. Nice cars can sometimes go missing in the middle of the night. Under the terms of a typical lease agreement, any insurance payment against the loss of a vehicle is assigned firstly to the lease company, and you will be relying on their goodwill to recover any of the massive overpayment you have made.

In a similar vein, if the car doesn't live up to expectations, or is defective/unreliable you'll perhaps more of a battle on your hands to get the lease company to do anything about it if they already have your money.

Paying a whole lease term upfront is very rare, so rare in fact I don't know anyone that's even tried to do it. There's nothing to stop you from asking, but i'd be surprised if it the savings were worthwhile anyway given the increased risk. I would suggest weighting the initial payment as high as you can and then taking out a good PCH gap policy to cover any shortfall between the cars value and the insurance payout, as you would be otherwise liable yourself if the lease company and your insurers were unable to agree on the cars value.

Remember as this is PCH and not PCP, there are no interest charges as such. You are paying fixed rental charges, it's as simple as that. You won't be able to exit early without substantial penalties though. And if you've already paid them all the rental charges upfront you'd be in a weak bargaining position.

Lots of people on here are fixated on the argument that if you pay monthly you can't really afford it. Personally I think that's nonsense. You've either got the means to make the monthly payments or you haven't. Most people think it's the norm to pay monthly for a mobile phone. You'd probably be thought of as a bit of a weirdo if you put 2 years worth of credit on a Pay As You Go Sim in one go. You probably wouldn't save anything either. Paying everything upfront isn't always cheaper.

The Audi A5 deal was just one example. If you need something more practical there was also a cheap Jaguar XF deal that was pulled quickly due to small availability and high demand. My last lease car was a Skoda Octavia vRS and I was delighted with it. Nothing like the Skoda cars of old, basically now just a VW Golf underneath but with a bigger boot and a smaller price tag. Lots of standard kit, good engine, good fuel economy, good build quality. Normally a £25k car but available for £6k on a 2 year deal. Of course lots of people are still put off by the badge, but if you can see past that then most Skoda's and SEAT's are highly rated these days.

Not convinced? There has also been some decent Volvo deals lately on some of the less popular models. Also the Audi A4 S Line can usually be had quite cheaply if you can settle for a small-ish petrol engine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants