Found 3rd Jan
Hi I'm new here and been using this site for a while, I'm interested in getting a lease car. I've currently got a car that's worth 3k so I'm looking for advice on getting a new car preferably on lease. I'm thinking of selling my current car privately and using the funds to pay for a new cars monthly cost. I understand you pay a percentage at first then regular monthly costs but I'm wondering if a lease is worth it? I will only be looking for something for 3 years. I'm not bothered about the fact I won't be owning it I just want something dependable for work as I need it for working in the community. I will be doing upto 10k a year and I need a vw golf sized 5 door car. Are there any good offers out there that people know of as a few I see are either too low for the allowed mileage or the initial cost is in the thousands? Oh and I need it soon as in within a month- any deals going would be greatly received- thanks

18 Comments

Is a lease different to a PCP? I have a Corsa, and have had a mazda 2 previously and I have to say it's nice having a brand new car.

GREAT DEAL!

Now that the deal is in the right place...

"Hi I'm new here and been using this site for a while" - how can you be new here and have been using the site for a while? Also, if you'd been using the site for a while you would know not to post a question in the deals section...

Anyway... a lease is effectively renting for the longer term. You have no obligations to buy the car or anything, you simply pay a variable (normally 3, 6 or 9) months worth of monthly payments up front, and then the monthly payment for each remaining month, hence the terminology 3+23, 6+35 etc.

Most leases are available with optional maintenance. Cost varies a lot but a ballpark figure would be an extra £20 per month and this should include all maintenance and tyres.

Having a lease doesn't absolve you from responsibility when it comes to looking after the car - you have to hand it back in the same condition you got it, but they will allow for "reasonable wear and tear".

No one can say if leasing is "worth it" but you. If you are happy to drive around in a £500 banger (I'm not suggesting you do) then leasing is absolutely not worth it as the most cost-effective thing for you to do in that scenario is just to drive it into the ground and then buy a new one every year or two. However, if you're not one of those people and you enjoy driving enough to spend a bit of money on it / spend a lot of time in your car then it becomes easier to justify. If you want a new car and don't have the cash to buy one outright, then most people on here will agree that a GOOD lease deal is much more cost effective than PCP (deposit then monthly payments for a fixed period with an option to buy at the end) as with the best deals, the car will depreciate more than you have paid to lease it.
Edited by: "djbenny1" 3rd Jan

DJ BENNY is 100% correct, here are some examples from a local company to me who are very reliable.. sorry if breaking rules by putting link of cars mods ...

freedomcontracts.com/lea…e=0

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far, it's a bit confusing on the lease sites I've been looking on for example on one they have a Audi A3 5dr and they have a few options for the same car for 10k miles and 3 years but all differ on initial cost then monthly and some are cheaper with more miles? Is it a case of them playing around with the numbers so you pay more up front and less monthly and visa Versa? And then it seems cheaper doing more miles on a 3yr than a 2 year etc?

Been looking myself, and it seems like a no brainer, I forked out £500 for the last MOT on my 05 C-Max plus the best part of £200 for Tax and prob another few hundred for BFO incidents , which is getting on for £75 pm over a year, so a brand new car for a few more quid a month seems a sound move...

Original Poster

Yeah that's the same for me, I don't really care about owning a new car- I'm just now I'm sick of owning a car out right that needs money spending on it whenever the mot comes around and due to needing a new car for work I need something that's cheaper to run and is dependable and whenever I buy a car outright I'm sick of losing so much on it when it comes to changing it. I should of got a lease years ago as I like to change my car every few years and having something that is dependable is important to me. I've got a mk6 golf and it's just turned 100k and the value has dropped quite. I don't want to lose money on cars anymore

leasing is great if it suits your circumstances.

contracthireandleasing.com

is a site that compares all the leasing sites out there. you tell it what car and it gives you the deals from all the leasing companies. it is then up to you to contact said company to finalise the fine details such as how much you want to pay up front and how many miles you need. beware of high one off lease arrangement fees.

vehicle savers have been good sofar

Just buy the car you want from Motorpoint (google them they sell the cheapest cars in the country) then buy it on pcp.
Much more cost effective as the car can a brand new car with one owner but 5-10k less in terms of price and as you are leasing you are not concerned with having a pre reg.

Pcp is more cost effective.

Original Poster

Just thought I'd give a update- I've just got a brand new Nissan Juke 1.2 n connecta, cost me £170 initially and then £170 p/m for 24 month. It's on a 10k mileage limit. Only got it for 2 years which is fine as my financial circumstances will be different in a few years so I'll be able to get something else when it ends. Sold my current private car for £3400 so that will pay for 20 months of payments and I'll put a little away each month for when it runs out. I just need something 5 door and worry free for a few years for work so I'm taking a big leap getting a juke as I've always disliked them but for that deal I couldn't say no.

Do you end up paying the same overall price on a lease if you choose 3 instead of 9? Or do they add extra onto it?

danielmullen10

Just thought I'd give a update- I've just got a brand new Nissan Juke 1.2 … Just thought I'd give a update- I've just got a brand new Nissan Juke 1.2 n connecta, cost me £170 initially and then £170 p/m for 24 month. It's on a 10k mileage limit. Only got it for 2 years which is fine as my financial circumstances will be different in a few years so I'll be able to get something else when it ends. Sold my current private car for £3400 so that will pay for 20 months of payments and I'll put a little away each month for when it runs out. I just need something 5 door and worry free for a few years for work so I'm taking a big leap getting a juke as I've always disliked them but for that deal I couldn't say no.

​hi... where did you lease that from?

gemmakindle92

Do you end up paying the same overall price on a lease if you choose 3 … Do you end up paying the same overall price on a lease if you choose 3 instead of 9? Or do they add extra onto it?

​add extra onto monthly payments

Original Poster

I got it from yes car lease, £300 admin, no deposit, £170 initial, 24 month 10k miles and it comes with all the toys, called around and even on pcp deals it works out a lot more and I only want it for 2 years

danielmullen10

I got it from yes car lease, £300 admin, no deposit, £170 initial, 24 m … I got it from yes car lease, £300 admin, no deposit, £170 initial, 24 month 10k miles and it comes with all the toys, called around and even on pcp deals it works out a lot more and I only want it for 2 years

​Thanks! I'm so confused which car to pick!!

danielmullen10

I got it from yes car lease, £300 admin, no deposit, £170 initial, 24 m … I got it from yes car lease, £300 admin, no deposit, £170 initial, 24 month 10k miles and it comes with all the toys, called around and even on pcp deals it works out a lot more and I only want it for 2 years

​is it nippy?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769604
    2. Add one, leave one game54415467
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522885
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604830

See more discussions