Expired

Car Makes a Weird noise when pressing accelerator ... 'Squeeky 'belt' noise'

Found 28th Oct 2014
Hi

I have a Toyota Corolla VVTi 2002 and had the gear box changed and clutch a while back by a mechanic.

The car is sound and drives well. Only thing is on odd occasion, well frequently, when from 1st and 2nd gears it makes a squeeky noise like a belt noise when accelerating? Anyone know what this 'could' be? My brother says that there is no timing belt on these cars ... I looked under the hood and there is a belt of some sort ... not sure what it is ...

... just wanted to know if anyone could think of what it could be ... when idle and on it doesn't make the noise ... makes it randomly mostly when accelerating ....

11 Comments

auxillary belt - powers steering pump, alternator etc.
just get it re-tensioned if it's bothering you (or do it yourself, but by the sound of it I don;t think that would be a good idea!).
Edited by: "joshm" 28th Oct 2014

BTW, if it was a timing belt issue you'd know about it because your car's engine would be out of action!

Original Poster

Oh cool ...

... will take it to local Mechanic ...

... last time went to one RAC approved and they said we will fault find and charge you £50 an hour to do it .... is that right?

water pump bearing, alternator bearing

Original Poster

bubblegum2910

water pump bearing, alternator bearing

are there any checks I could do to be sure of this?

Fan Belt requires tightening.

Original Poster

salnath

Fan Belt requires tightening.

Yeah I think may be this ... as when I turn the car off there is still a fan noise for about 5 -8 seconds even once ignition is off.

krazyasif786

Yeah I think may be this ... as when I turn the car off there is still a … Yeah I think may be this ... as when I turn the car off there is still a fan noise for about 5 -8 seconds even once ignition is off.

That has nothing to do with a loose belt.

krazyasif786

Yeah I think may be this ... as when I turn the car off there is still a … Yeah I think may be this ... as when I turn the car off there is still a fan noise for about 5 -8 seconds even once ignition is off.

The fan belt doesn't have anything to do with your fan. The fan is electric. People still use the term 'fan belt' to refer to, usually, the water pump/alternator belt or any auxiliary belt.

krazyasif786

This is natural to cool down the engine when stood still as there will be no natural air circulating.
Edited by: "NEtech" 29th Oct 2014

krazyasif786

Oh cool ... ... will take it to local Mechanic ...... last time went to … Oh cool ... ... will take it to local Mechanic ...... last time went to one RAC approved and they said we will fault find and charge you £50 an hour to do it .... is that right?

No, it's not. Tell them exactly what the issue is and what you want done. Should take them no more than about 10 minutes if they are legit and have proper tools.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants