Groups

car making a grating noise - help !

My car all of a sudden is making a grating noise , which sounds as though it's coming from the drivers side wheel area .
    The car was driving fine with no issues the day before , has been MOT nad serviced within it's normal times .
    The engine is fine , starting normally . There are no observable problems on the car or the wheel , but the noise is there -
    I have to get it towed to the either the kwik fit or nationwide auto - I don't know any other garages so it has to be either one , but just for my info does anyone know what it could be and roughly the cost ?

Thanks

31 Comments

Banned

brake caliper or bearing maybe.

cant estimate cost as no car description

Could just need new brake pads.

Does it only happen when you brake? Or just normal driving?

You really need to have a look but brakes would seem most likely.

Original Poster

thANKS CSI - i'm getting it towed to garage as the greenflag people say they can't fix it , I just wanted some sort of idea from a non garage people what the cost would be .
    It's a ford fusion 2004 56k miles in good condition .
    Thanks to the other people as well

Green flag HA
    Cant fix it so whats Wrong what did he say Brakes or what.
    Discs.
    Cos both are a 30/45 min fix.
    In garage 2.5 hours cos they will rip u off.

hubby,s was like this a kind of grinding noise may not be the same! but his was the wheels bairings cost £150! it was also like a funny feeling and noise when you were driving, but hopefully its something simple for you and it wont cost too much money good luck.

Banned

denandyas;8261069

thANKS CSI - i'm getting it towed to garage as the greenflag people say … thANKS CSI - i'm getting it towed to garage as the greenflag people say they can't fix it , I just wanted some sort of idea from a non garage people what the cost would be . It's a ford fusion 2004 56k miles in good condition .Thanks to the other people as well

surely the mechanic knew what it was that they couldnt fix.

hope the tow is free - personally I would drive it to the garage

Original Poster

yeah tell me about it , I've rung up green flag , described the problem and over the phone they have told me they can't fix it as it sounds like a repair job - so I'mm just arming myself with some info ....

Wouldn't get it towed to a kwik fit or nationwide they are likely to rip the hole out of it.
    Can the recovery driver not recommend a good local garage or do you not know someone that knows a good local garage that you can trust?

Original Poster

Thanks to all who have replied , does anyone have any opinions on the kwik fit . nationwide auto debate I'm having .... The grating noise starts when the car moves and when it brakes ....
    gREENFLAG have local garages that assist you , so the ones who come to me are the C+S motor group , so he would recommend his own - has anyone got any reviews of them ?

Sounds like brake pads kneel down and look at brake discs see if the have ridges put your hand round the back of the wheel and feel they should be smooth ish with a rim or ridge at the edge if not smooth needs discs and pads and poss calaper.Feel both sides on the car to compair/If your keeping the car for a few years kwik fit are ok cos will replace pads for life of car.But haggle with then.Also drive there if towed will have you buy the footballs and charge you at least double.

I take it the breakdown company has not been out to it yet?
    When he comes he should be able to tell you whats wrong with it just by jacking up the car and spinning the wheel, unless green flag have put the job through as a straight recovery and he can't be arsed looking at it, make sure you ask him what is wrong with it, just so he doesn't come and load it up straight away without checking it out.

bigwheels;8261277

Also drive there if towed will have you buy the footballs and charge you … Also drive there if towed will have you buy the footballs and charge you at least double.

What do you mean by footballs? :oops:

Original Poster

thanks you guys again -
    The towing would be free as I have greenflag cover and this covers it -

Yes when I rung greenflag , they have said over the phone they would just get it towed - shall I request them not to do this ? They told me to ring a garage to see if they would accept it and then ring back when one has agreed - shall I just ring back and tell them the garage have requested they have a look first or something ? I'm unsure what to do ?

I dont really feel safe driving the car to the garage because of the noise ....

So you have to phone them back to arrange the recovery, thats fine, just mention when you call them that you would appreciate the recovery drivers opinion on what is wrong with the car, then for it to be taken to a garage of your choice, if it cannot be fixed at the roadside.

Original Poster

thanks hunchback - will do

As others have said it could be the pads worn down to the metal or we have sometimes had it where a small stone gets trapped between the Brake disc and backplate. If it is a stone it can be removed by Slightly pulling the backplate away & sometimes by just reversing the car.

gavjbrown;8261512

As others have said it could be the pads worn down to the metal or we … As others have said it could be the pads worn down to the metal or we have sometimes had it where a small stone gets trapped between the Brake disc and backplate. If it is a stone it can be removed by Slightly pulling the backplate away & sometimes by just reversing the car.

+1 sounds familiar. Had something similar years ago with a different car.

gavjbrown;8261512

As others have said it could be the pads worn down to the metal or we … As others have said it could be the pads worn down to the metal or we have sometimes had it where a small stone gets trapped between the Brake disc and backplate. If it is a stone it can be removed by Slightly pulling the backplate away & sometimes by just reversing the car.

Good point.
    Could also have been a stone has jumped up whilst driving, knocking the backplate against the disc. Who knows.

gavjbrown;8261512

WoolyM;8261560

+1 sounds familiar. Had something similar years ago with a different car.

+2 same thing happened to my father-in-law

Banned

Why has no one asked the obvious?

OP... have you looked after the car, have you had it services, or had the brakes looked it during the time you've had it? etc etc etc.

If it is discs, or pads, you would know about the problem if you had looked after it etc, so you could discount a lot of the ideas people have come up with by providing this information.

vibeone;8261930

Why has no one asked the obvious?OP... have you looked after the car, … Why has no one asked the obvious?OP... have you looked after the car, have you had it services, or had the brakes looked it during the time you've had it? etc etc etc.If it is discs, or pads, you would know about the problem if you had looked after it etc, so you could discount a lot of the ideas people have come up with by providing this information.

can pick up a stone at any time.
    hth

vibeone;8261930

Why has no one asked the obvious?OP... have you looked after the car, … Why has no one asked the obvious?OP... have you looked after the car, have you had it services, or had the brakes looked it during the time you've had it? etc etc etc.If it is discs, or pads, you would know about the problem if you had looked after it etc, so you could discount a lot of the ideas people have come up with by providing this information.

He said in the first post that he had it serviced and MOT'd.
    Did you even read his post?

Banned

vibeone;8261930

Why dont people read the thread before making themselves look a little foolish?

Original Poster

lol - i do the same with other posts in that i don't read them fully before posting , but yes VB1 , it is regually serviced by ford and within it's MOT - I have all the docs as well to prove this - will go and check now on last servitce to see if break pads were replaced etc - thanks for advise ....

Banned

hunchback;8262157

He said in the first post that he had it serviced and MOT'd.Did you even … He said in the first post that he had it serviced and MOT'd.Did you even read his post?

csiman;8262457

Why dont people read the thread before making themselves look a little … Why dont people read the thread before making themselves look a little foolish?

LOL guys... especially you csiman... always best to check you know what you are talking about before taking the ****. Servicing yes, mot yes, no mention of the brakes. no need to apologise.

denandyas;8262709

lol - i do the same with other posts in that i don't read them fully … lol - i do the same with other posts in that i don't read them fully before posting , but yes VB1 , it is regually serviced by ford and within it's MOT - I have all the docs as well to prove this - will go and check now on last servitce to see if break pads were replaced etc - thanks for advise ....

Yeah I'd have a look as there are plenty of dodgy places / lazy mechanics about.

If the brake pads were low, or the discs needed replaced it would have at the very least been an advisory on the last MOT or service at the time.

Original Poster

yes exactly hunchback they usually remind me if something needs doing and they give advice on it , but they didn't mention anything on the last service which was in NOV 2009 .

denandyas;8264673

yes exactly hunchback they usually remind me if something needs doing and … yes exactly hunchback they usually remind me if something needs doing and they give advice on it , but they didn't mention anything on the last service which was in NOV 2009 .

Have you had any word back on what it might be yet?

Original Poster

the mystery is solved - it was a broken suspension spring !!! he towed it to garage and they will fix it by 2pm today ! thanks to all who helped !
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any PS4 News Here29213632
      2. First 2 lucky people.77
      3. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1123
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831532

See more discussions