Car making squeaky noise

Found 11th Oct 2017
Was driving to work this morning and heard a squeaky noise coming from the front right side of the car (think it was from the tyre)

Just driving back from work and heard it again, I tested it out and everytime I brake the squeaky noise stops but after a min or two of driving, it's back again.

I'm thinking it needs new brake pads and will be taking it to the garage over the weekend, but was just wondering if anyone has faced something similar?

The car is a Vauxhall Astra J 60 Plate

Any help is much appreciated...

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
31 Comments

Does sound like the pads need a bit of grease, if they are still serviceable ( have plenty of meat on them ) just get if memory serves me correct...copper grease from a car parts shop, check with them, do the job and squeaks will be no more.

The brake pads will probably have a metal shim on them that touches the brake disc when they are nearly worn down. It’s usually a really high pitch squeal to warn you they need changing soon

Probably brake pads, I'd change rather than mess around, Not hard to do, I had to use OEM pads on my Zafira Tourer because after market Brembo pads moved about a bit, I would assume your Astra will use the same pads as mine.

A mouse nest in your wheel arch ? (as good a suggestion as putting grease on your brake pads )
Edited by: "rogparki" 11th Oct 2017

do people read? he said noise goes away when braking not the other way around

sticking caliper?

Brake pads OR have you a stone chip stuck - usually they grind down and flip out but (as I found out) they can ruin the disc

clickmechanic.com

yell.com/s/m…tml

what ever it turns out to be, use the sites above if you can't do it yourself

find a local mobile mechanic, keep his number and use him for everything car related including booking an MOT (unless you get an idiot)

all work is done on your drive and cheaper than anywhere from my experience

most will come and take a look for free, I know several and they're all actual real honest old school mechanics, who hate garages because they rip everyone off

mattsk15 m ago

do people read? he said noise goes away when braking not the other way …do people read? he said noise goes away when braking not the other way aroundsticking caliper?

I can read perfectly fine and also been a mechanic for the last 23 years!

rogparki57 m ago

A mouse nest in your wheel arch ? (as good a suggestion as putting grease …A mouse nest in your wheel arch ? (as good a suggestion as putting grease on your brake pads )

Perfectly sound advice, as long as your not stupid enough to think you put the copper slip between the pad and disk. It goes between the back of the pad and the piston, but I'm sure you knew that anyway.

Original Poster

I'm thinking if it was the brake pad, surely when I brake, the squeaky noise should increase rather than completely stop confused.com

Original Poster

dataload1 h, 23 m ago

https://www.clickmechanic.comhttps://www.yell.com/s/mobile+mechanics-uk.htmlwhat ever it turns out to be, use the sites above if you can't do it yourselffind a local mobile mechanic, keep his number and use him for everything car related including booking an MOT (unless you get an idiot)all work is done on your drive and cheaper than anywhere from my experiencemost will come and take a look for free, I know several and they're all actual real honest old school mechanics, who hate garages because they rip everyone off

Ahh man! I hate going garages cause they rip you off.. thanks for the links above!!

Moqsy9 m ago

Ahh man! I hate going garages cause they rip you off.. thanks for the …Ahh man! I hate going garages cause they rip you off.. thanks for the links above!!

searching yell is the best option, just gotta search and find one with good reviews in your area

clickmechanic will do it all for you, just gotta use your post code and select the service you want

either way it'll cost a loss less than a garage

Moqsy12 m ago

Ahh man! I hate going garages cause they rip you off.. thanks for the …Ahh man! I hate going garages cause they rip you off.. thanks for the links above!!

Seriously , you just need to ask a mate (who has a little knowledge of cars ) to take a ride with you for 5 mins . A lot of moving parts around the front wheel . The fact that the noise stops when the brakes are applied could be due to a warped disc , seized brake cylinder (the pads are always in contact with the disc -just - ) or maybe a bearing going , It could be trivial but you do need to get an opinion on it .

last time we had this, it turned out to be worn brake pads. it just made a whistling/squeaking noise whilst driving on the passenger side.

Moqsy2 h, 30 m ago

I'm thinking if it was the brake pad, surely when I brake, the squeaky …I'm thinking if it was the brake pad, surely when I brake, the squeaky noise should increase rather than completely stop confused.com

Nope, When you apply the brakes any play/movement between the caliper, disc and pad is taken up so no noise. When no pressure applied the pad is in slight contact with the disc and that can cause all sorts of noise for various different reasons.

If discs are warped you would possibly feel vibration in the brake pedal when braking.

From experience, 90% of these issues will be something to do with worn pads, You can apply a little bit of copper grease between pad/piston, shim and caliper, Very important not to get grease on the friction material or disc for obvious reasons.

I had a similar thing with a Ford galaxy. I went out and bought new pads but they were ok. It turned out it was the cv joint. Admit as expensive as pads for the parts, but not really a job you can do without some experience. As someone said, get a mate with experience to have a listen.

These are the type of front brake pads for a 60 plate Astra.

32239237-OpZbw.jpg
They have the "metal shim on them that touches the brake disc when they are nearly worn down" that danzab has described. When the pads are worn these touch the disc and the 'shim' vibrates - causing the squealing noise.

As .MCFC says - when you brake the pad is forced against the disc stopping the vibration. It then takes a few miles/minutes for the pads to reposition themselves to be in a position where the shim vibrates again.

Could be something else - but most likely the pads. If you haven't done these before then best to get someone to do them for you. Have a good look at the discs before you put it in - if they are badly corroded/scored then will need replacing. On a 7 year old Astra it is likely the garage will suggest changing the discs as well - probably cost you in the region of £200-250 for discs and pads (£100 for pads only).
Edited by: "Van1973" 12th Oct 2017

Reminds me of that VW Golf ad in the 80s or 90s...

I am in the same position altho i changed all pads and disks!! The breaks make a noise when i break and while im driving theres a noice in the wheels somewhere. 2 mechanics said oh replace them again. My husband did say they were crap make ( top end pads from Euro car parts) but i told him to be quite. Can it be bush needs replacing?
Its a 12 reg nissan juke.
Edited by: "Misslovely" 12th Oct 2017

Misslovely18 h, 37 m ago

I am in the same position altho i changed all pads and disks!! The breaks …I am in the same position altho i changed all pads and disks!! The breaks make a noise when i break and while im driving theres a noice in the wheels somewhere. 2 mechanics said oh replace them again. My husband did say they were crap make ( top end pads from Euro car parts) but i told him to be quite. Can it be bush needs replacing? Its a 12 reg nissan juke.

No offence but take it to a garage. Don't like the idea of unqualified people changing our messing about with brakes. It's not just your life at stake at the end of the day, it's otherpeople as well
Edited by: "danzab" 13th Oct 2017

Misslovely39 m ago

I am in the same position altho i changed all pads and disks!! The breaks …I am in the same position altho i changed all pads and disks!! The breaks make a noise when i break and while im driving theres a noice in the wheels somewhere. 2 mechanics said oh replace them again. My husband did say they were crap make ( top end pads from Euro car parts) but i told him to be quite. Can it be bush needs replacing? Its a 12 reg nissan juke.

If the noise is a "rolling drone" type noise it could be a wheel bearing - when they go you tend to get a constant noise but often worse/different when going round a bend at speed.

If the sound is a clicking then it could be a CV joint.

If you have had new pads and discs fitted there is no need to fit again! They may need to be taken out and refitted with some grease on the back of the pads if they are brakes are squealing - it is not unusual to have this problem with new pads if they don't have a fitting kit. Eicher is the cheap Eurocarparts brand which I would avoid - but when brand new even these should work without a problem. Other brands ECP sell are generally good quality (Pagid is normally my preferred option).

You have paid a garage to fix it - they need to have another go!
Edited by: "Van1973" 12th Oct 2017

danzab3 h, 8 m ago

No offence but take it to a garage. Don't like the idea of unqualified …No offence but take it to a garage. Don't like the idea of unqualified people changing our meeting about worth brakes. It's not just your life at stake at the end of the day, it's otherpeople as well

Your wating your time mate. If your a big enough clown to attempt fixing your brakes via a youtube video with no proper experience then so be it. Theres usually a bit of money to be made clearing up the aftermath when these little projects turn to poop lol seen it all the time.

danzab3 h, 10 m ago

No offence but take it to a garage. Don't like the idea of unqualified …No offence but take it to a garage. Don't like the idea of unqualified people changing our meeting about worth brakes. It's not just your life at stake at the end of the day, it's otherpeople as well

Take it to a garage they are the most unqualified people out there struggle to change a tyre or know how to bleed brakes

cliosport659 h, 48 m ago

Take it to a garage they are the most unqualified people out there Take it to a garage they are the most unqualified people out there struggle to change a tyre or know how to bleed brakes

I meant a proper garage, not kwikfit or the main stealers!

Van197314 h, 37 m ago

If the noise is a "rolling drone" type noise it could be a wheel bearing - …If the noise is a "rolling drone" type noise it could be a wheel bearing - when they go you tend to get a constant noise but often worse/different when going round a bend at speed.If the sound is a clicking then it could be a CV joint.If you have had new pads and discs fitted there is no need to fit again! They may need to be taken out and refitted with some grease on the back of the pads if they are brakes are squealing - it is not unusual to have this problem with new pads if they don't have a fitting kit. Eicher is the cheap Eurocarparts brand which I would avoid - but when brand new even these should work without a problem. Other brands ECP sell are generally good quality (Pagid is normally my preferred option).You have paid a garage to fix it - they need to have another go!

Its like a loud whistling noice.

danzab3 h, 43 m ago

Yeah that's a fair point I suppose Hard to find a proper garage these days but there are some good garages out there

danzab3 h, 47 m ago

i find kwikfit has worked fine for me over the years for tyres replacement but i wouldn't get them to do the brakes. we got stung when we took the car to an independent garage a few years ago for servicing so now we just stick to the main dealer's garage.

Misslovely21 h, 58 m ago

Hard to diagnose noises over the internet, Sometimes certain pads can cause problems, Like the Brembo pads on my Zafira. They were rattling like crazy going over bumps, Garage tried telling me it was my shock mounts at fault lol. I let a garage do them so I didn't void warranty on my new car. In the end I changed them myself, Put some OEM pads on and got money back from the joke of a garage.

Brakes, Bearings, Drop links and CV joints can cause noise in certain conditions, Does the noise stop when braking?, Does it only make a noise when going over a bump or round a corner?.

.MUFC.1 h, 20 m ago

Hard to diagnose noises over the internet, Sometimes certain pads can …Hard to diagnose noises over the internet, Sometimes certain pads can cause problems, Like the Brembo pads on my Zafira. They were rattling like crazy going over bumps, Garage tried telling me it was my shock mounts at fault lol. I let a garage do them so I didn't void warranty on my new car. In the end I changed them myself, Put some OEM pads on and got money back from the joke of a garage. Brakes, Bearings, Drop links and CV joints can cause noise in certain conditions, Does the noise stop when braking?, Does it only make a noise when going over a bump or round a corner?.

Yea the noise stops when breaking but the break disks also make a different noice when breaking altho the disks and pads are new since april. A bit confusing to hear. The noise appears whenever it likes on a straight road but its nothing like the noise what you may hear going over bumps. Think thats shockers.
The thing is i bought the car like this.

I thought when bearings are going, the bearing makes a rattle noise and you can hear it from the tyre?

Misslovely1 h, 49 m ago

Yea the noise stops when breaking but the break disks also make a …Yea the noise stops when breaking but the break disks also make a different noice when breaking altho the disks and pads are new since april. A bit confusing to hear. The noise appears whenever it likes on a straight road but its nothing like the noise what you may hear going over bumps. Think thats shockers. The thing is i bought the car like this. I thought when bearings are going, the bearing makes a rattle noise and you can hear it from the tyre?

Find an open bit of road where there is the odd bump or pot hole. Drive over the bump and listen for any rattling. If you hear some rattling drive over bump again but lightly apply the brakes as you drive over them, If the rattling disappears it'll most probably be something to do with your pads.

Original Poster

Changed my brake pads over the weekend and the squeaky/whistling noise has gone! Thanks everyone for your comments!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants