Car mechanic help: intermittent rumbling sound above 45mph

Posted 11th Dec 2019
Hi all,
Basically my car has started making a rumbling sound above 45-50mph but not all of the time. Sounds like when you go over the rumbling strips on a motorway
I’ve checked the tyres pressures which appear fine (all are less than 12 months old and no sign of any bulges or damage).
No sign of any intrusions in the wheel arches either.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

15 Comments
My first port of call will be to look at the wheel weights on your wheels. Are they missing? If so will need to pop to a garage to get them re-done.
If it's no that I would next check for movement in the wheel bearings.
Can't do anything but speculate here. Could be as said above:- Incorrect weight distribution / wheel bearing / steering rack joint play / knuckle joint wear.

Get it to a mechanic for diagnosis. Better safe than sorry, Caulcano.

All the best, Phsy.
Is it hungry for a faster driver?

Oh yeah... It's Christmas... Speed kills, etc.
My money is on wheel bearings, my brothers old clio sounded exactly like that over 30 mph
I'd go for a wheel bearing or a mis-shaped tyre - the noise both issues make is virtually identical.
+1 for wheel bearing

it could be unbalanced wheels but they don't often make noise, but will cause vibration which may cause resonance
Try googling your car and symptoms, on mine the speed wobbles came in at exactly 42mph and ended at exactly 51mph every time. Its so common it even has its own name "super beetle shimmy" required replacing of old rubber sway bar bushings with polyurethane ones. Afterwards felt like a whole new car at any speed. A pain in the rear removing the old ones but worth it.

Really though it could be anything, wheel bearings are easy to check without any disassembly, jack the corners of the car one at a time and give the wheel a good shake/rocking motion top to bottom and side to side there should be no free play spin the wheel by hand and make sure its smooth with no notchiness.
And if it is a bearing your mechanic will probably suggest to change the opposite side too. No right or wrong answer - if the other bearing feels fine it could last another 10 years or 10 months. Personally I'd just get it changed at same time
Loose wheel nuts/bolts can cause a noise like this.
Cheers all. Will visit a garage in the morning
Could be that your wheels are out of balance (lost one of the little lead balance weights on the rim). Have you taken the car up a curb a bit enthusiastically recently?
airbus33011/12/2019 15:35

Could be that your wheels are out of balance (lost one of the little lead …Could be that your wheels are out of balance (lost one of the little lead balance weights on the rim). Have you taken the car up a curb a bit enthusiastically recently?

Not that I remember
What make/model? Purely speculative, I'd have said wheel bearing if it was a constant drone rather than the coming or going your getting. As mentioned this can be tyres too. Get it checked at a tyre place, just to be sure you're safe over the winter. Could be a multitude of things though.

Don't talk to me about tyres , you wouldn't necessarily first think of them as causing a droning noise, wobbles and vibrations etc yes, but not audible or wheelbearing type of drone. We had an ML63 AMG that we spent a lot of time and money looking for a droning noise and to cut a long story short it was the front tyres, front tyres were new cheap branded ones that came with it's new set of wheels. We even stripped and replaced the front diff bearing before concluding it was the tyres. Put it's original wheels on and it was perfect. One of them "Wish I'd have done that first moments"
Change around the tyres from front to back and see if that makes any difference
Sticky calliper can make that noise.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants