Car Mechanics!! - VW Golf lumpy acceleration TDI 2.0

Found 9th Jul 2012
Hey all, wondering if someone could help me with this, I have a Golf with a 2.0 TDi manual and when accelerating it can sometimes lurch forward before continuing on its way. It has warranty but I seem to be having trouble getting the dealer to diagnose it.

Problem seems worse when the A/C is on, but I am thinking some sort of fuel delivery problem??
Community Updates
MiscCarGolfVW
17 Comments
Faulty airflow meter springs to mind. Quite common on these engines.
The Therapist

Faulty airflow meter springs to mind. Quite common on these engines.

Thanks for that. Something to check out anyway.
I know it's a German car but have you tried an Italian Tuneup?

Anyone an do it. Find an empty stretch of road, ideally with a 60 plus limit and with a roundabout at each end. Go round th roundabout and then boot it through the gears, going clse tothe redline before change up. Double back at next roundabout and repeat. This will blow the cobwebs away and give you a bit of a rush.
My old ford ka did that when one of the spark plugs were damaged.
Just remembered on the 2.0 TDI engines, there were major issues with leaking injectors resulting in misfires. Usually resulted in replacing the cylinder head also. Quite an expensive repair if not covered by your warranty!
The Therapist

Just remembered on the 2.0 TDI engines, there were major issues with … Just remembered on the 2.0 TDI engines, there were major issues with leaking injectors resulting in misfires. Usually resulted in replacing the cylinder head also. Quite an expensive repair if not covered by your warranty!

It had better be!! - It is a VW warranty so should all be fine, problem is when it runs out I want it sorted before hand.
How old is your vehicle?
There is a recall on the injectors for the 2.0 TDi engines.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/06/vw-and-audi-recall-nearly-170-000-tdi-diesel-models/
pistonheads.com/gas…asp?h=0&t=1088107&d=0&nmt=
vwaudiforum.co.uk/for…ast!!

although that first link is for the US recall I can't find the UK one at present. Give them a ring.

Edited by: "lumoruk" 10th Jul 2012
The Therapist

How old is your vehicle?

3 years.
Looks quite promising to be the MAF sensor as The Therapist first said, unplugged it and went for a drive, issue seems to be cleared! Engine light also came on in the end so have plugged it back in now, at least I know what to tell the dealer.
look like not your problem after all but can confirm there is a UK recall to get the injectors replaced on certain years.. my 07 passat TDI 2.0 is getting them replaced tomorrow by the local dealer! I found out from a mail from VW/VOSA telling me to book it in...
aircanman

Looks quite promising to be the MAF sensor as The Therapist first said, … Looks quite promising to be the MAF sensor as The Therapist first said, unplugged it and went for a drive, issue seems to be cleared! Engine light also came on in the end so have plugged it back in now, at least I know what to tell the dealer.

Buy a maf sensor and do it yourself, worlds easiest job. I wouldn't pay a mechanic to do it.
greenmachine12

Buy a maf sensor and do it yourself, worlds easiest job. I wouldn't pay a … Buy a maf sensor and do it yourself, worlds easiest job. I wouldn't pay a mechanic to do it.

MAF sensor for this model is £130 + and the car is under warranty so I should be ok, now to convince them that is the problem.....
aircanman

MAF sensor for this model is £130 + and the car is under warranty so I … MAF sensor for this model is £130 + and the car is under warranty so I should be ok, now to convince them that is the problem.....

Yep, maf sensors are expensive. Lucky its under warranty, but if they dont believe you and you end up buying one yourself, dont buy a cheap one off ebay.

They break after a few months normally and not worth it.
Or, buy a maf cleaner off ebay, about £15 i think.
greenmachine12

Or, buy a maf cleaner off ebay, about £15 i think.

As soon as they plug it into the computer it will show something to do with the MAF sensor hopefully, fingers crossed!! Thanks for your input.
aircanman

As soon as they plug it into the computer it will show something to do … As soon as they plug it into the computer it will show something to do with the MAF sensor hopefully, fingers crossed!! Thanks for your input.

Yes, but you unplugging the MAF sensor will have made it come up with an error.

So in a way, you unplugging the maf sensor and getting the EML to come on, could have done you a favour.

I would just go "I was driving and the light came on, it feels a bit lumpy"

They being trained monkeys nowdays and not proper mechanics, he will plug it into the machine "O look, the maf has an error, lets order a new one"

Job Done.
Edited by: "greenmachine12" 10th Jul 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants