Car MOT due? (Audi)

Posted 19th Nov
Hi all,

Had my vehicle MOT with Audi today, from previous reviews I’ve read about taking it to a dealership like Audi, comments were negative with regards to them being over harsh on their findings and making it fail costing you an arm and a leg!
I’ve gone in today and not only has it passed, they also price matched the MOT for me, from the price of £49.99 to £21.95 thanks to checking on groupon.

Anybody with an Audi with an MOT due soon bare the price match in mind 😃
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
I’ve only one criteria for a car MOT place is that it shouldn’t also repair cars. It’s served me well
Yep, people scaremongering as usual.

I took my old Lean Cupra to a Jag dealership.

£24.99 and the did a full valet too.
Dannyrobbo19/11/2019 18:13

I’ve only one criteria for a car MOT place is that it shouldn’t also rep …I’ve only one criteria for a car MOT place is that it shouldn’t also repair cars. It’s served me well

Local authority's do MOTs but not repairs.

I’ve only one criteria for a car MOT place is that it shouldn’t also rep …I’ve only one criteria for a car MOT place is that it shouldn’t also repair cars. It’s served me well

The one I use for bikes is a DAF service center so only work on HGV's however the guy who did my last one on a moped is a 2 stroke fanatic and gave it a wicked up for free, the car I don't bother with getting MOT'd as I am always working on it (when my back allows) so know it inside out and that mechanically its all good.

I used to agree with this - but last year booked my 15 year old focus into a local garage, they deal with breakdowns, repairs and MOTs. I bought the car for £600 just 2 months before and it passed with not a single advisory, despite there being an advisory list longer than my arm the year previously.

Took it back to the same place this year, the clutch had been playing up for a while, slipping etc, but it pretty much gave in just as I turned into the road the garage was on, it was like dragging a dog into the vets. I'm aware that the clutch isn't a part of the MOT, but still expected it to fail, having had a few other issues with it throughout the year. Again, passed first time with just 2 minor and inexpensive advisories.

They're not all out to rob us, I know I've been lucky though!

We're not all out to rip vehicle owners off, the vast majority of us do an honest job.
richp19/11/2019 19:00

We're not all out to rip vehicle owners off, the vast majority of us do an …We're not all out to rip vehicle owners off, the vast majority of us do an honest job.

miikeyblue19/11/2019 18:41

I used to agree with this - but last year booked my 15 year old focus into …I used to agree with this - but last year booked my 15 year old focus into a local garage, they deal with breakdowns, repairs and MOTs. I bought the car for £600 just 2 months before and it passed with not a single advisory, despite there being an advisory list longer than my arm the year previously.Took it back to the same place this year, the clutch had been playing up for a while, slipping etc, but it pretty much gave in just as I turned into the road the garage was on, it was like dragging a dog into the vets. I'm aware that the clutch isn't a part of the MOT, but still expected it to fail, having had a few other issues with it throughout the year. Again, passed first time with just 2 minor and inexpensive advisories.They're not all out to rob us, I know I've been lucky though!

I'm sure, and i do have a garage I trust who has done work and not ripped me off a few times and It does pay off in repeat business.

I just believe that by taking it to a place that does not deal with car repairs at all has zero vested interests in passing or failing my car.

To give an example on one failure at said MOT place I asked “do you know any good garages to complete the repair” he replied “no” which is fair enough.
I pay £50 for my MOT - he's not getting rich, but he doesn't need to find faults with the car to get by (he doesn't do repairs anyway).

£20 MOTs are running at a loss.
In the past I’ve only ever used Mot tester that my mechanic recommends.
They know he sends me there, so it won’t fail on the grey areas.
As my mechanic would have to fix it. ( they also know he was an mot tester )
themorgatron19/11/2019 19:36

I pay £50 for my MOT - he's not getting rich, but he doesn't need to find …I pay £50 for my MOT - he's not getting rich, but he doesn't need to find faults with the car to get by (he doesn't do repairs anyway).£20 MOTs are running at a loss.

You’re still overpaying, I pay £35 and it passes without finding faults to make up for it
winzzz19/11/2019 20:39

You’re still overpaying, I pay £35 and it passes without finding faults to …You’re still overpaying, I pay £35 and it passes without finding faults to make up for it

It's his own business, he works alone - I'm happy paying someone to earn a fair wage. At £35/MOT the chap would be better off working on the tills at Tesco.
Don't be surprised with the price of MOT's going up at some point, as new connected equipment is being trialed & the cost will be bourne by the mot station. We will need to re-coup the costs back somehow.
You can read below about it.

Matters of Testing.
It's handy having friends in the trade.
richp19/11/2019 19:00

We're not all out to rip vehicle owners off, the vast majority of us do an …We're not all out to rip vehicle owners off, the vast majority of us do an honest job.

Like any trade the bad ones give you all a bad name, there are also some bad ones who will pass a pile of scrap for a mate, there was a local cheapo car trader who had a good rep for selling cheap but honest cars with 10+ months of MOT (if it had less he would put a full one on) and had a good reputation, don't know what went wrong but he suddenly started selling cars that was polished turds, holes in sills full of filler, exhaust leaks covered with the bandage stuff etc. but with full MOT's on one the buyer had got no further than the edge of the trading estate he was on and the front suspension collapsed through the body work at the top of the tower - no way in hell that full MOT was legit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants