Car MOT Question.

Posted 21st Apr
Mot due next week but i got 6 months to do it ? Or should i do it asap after lockdown.
Need advice thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
It’s upto you just make sure your car is in a road worthy condition.
Edited by: "MrWalle" 21st Apr
I would wait if your car has a full service in the last year.
As far as I had read all mot’s due have been extended for 6 months and it expires in the first week in October but I was also unsure if that meant...6 months from date mot is due or 6 months which would be the first week in October from when the extension was put in place...any advice would be great(y)
Yes, extended by 6 months. It will be due in October. As other poster said, keep your car in a roadworthy condition.
Edited by: "greenyblades" 21st Apr
Is this extension for all MOT’s? Mine is due on 16th October 2020, have i also got a 6 month extension? So due 16th April 2021??
SteMoss21/04/2020 22:17

Is this extension for all MOT’s? Mine is due on 16th October 2020, have i a …Is this extension for all MOT’s? Mine is due on 16th October 2020, have i also got a 6 month extension? So due 16th April 2021??

By then, hopefully the lockdown is eased/lifted so you should be able to get your mot done before it expires. I don’t think you’ll get a 6 month extension.
SteMoss21/04/2020 22:17

Is this extension for all MOT’s? Mine is due on 16th October 2020, have i a …Is this extension for all MOT’s? Mine is due on 16th October 2020, have i also got a 6 month extension? So due 16th April 2021??

Everyone gets 6 months extra. It came into force on 30th March and will last a year. This also makes the most sense to ease congestion, as whilst above someone has said hopefully we'd be beyond the virus, you will have about 3 months worth of people trying to MOT their vehicle at the same time.

Not practical. Garages will get booked up.

So best method is just to extend everyone for 6 months.
I have mine booked in next month and garage even called to clarify date with me last week... I had forgot about the 6 months extra...
You won't get everyone trying to get an MOT at the same time though-it will be the same just 6 months later than your previous date. And whilst they have given a 6 month extension you should get it tested as soon as you can when they reopen and have slots available so don't leave it until the last few days get it done asap.
awesomegiles2621/04/2020 23:35

I have mine booked in next month and garage even called to clarify date …I have mine booked in next month and garage even called to clarify date with me last week... I had forgot about the 6 months extra...

If they are open then get it done don't rely on a free 6 months just because it's free - if your car is found to be dangerously faulty you'll be in big trouble.
40495156-0MAf1.jpg
Can i do it in August or only 4 weeks in advance?
Originally was due tomorrow.
Djpal12321/04/2020 23:46

[Image] Can i do it in August or only 4 weeks in advance?Originally was …[Image] Can i do it in August or only 4 weeks in advance?Originally was due tomorrow.

You can MOT it whenever you want but you'd only have 12 months from that date etc..
You should check your car over more frequently than every 12 months anyway. Don't use the MOT as a safety test. It could pass today and be unroadworthy tomorrow. If your tyres are worn change them, your lights blown replace them, Your wipers smearing, replace them, Brakes making noise? have them checked out if you can't check them yourself. Any dash lights on? Have them diagnosed etc.. Check oil level, check fluid levels. Very easy and everyone should be able to do that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions