Car needs an oil change

Found 9th Nov 2017
Does anyone know of any specials or decent places to go for an oil change? I have a 05 polo 1.4 petrol and am being asked for 100+ which I think is excessive. I am near heathrow but dont mind Slough, Kingston, Chessingston side.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
36 Comments
That's ridiculous did mine myself not long ago £20 for 5 litres of Quantum Platinum oil and £7 for a genuine VW filter,ask around friends or at work for decent local mechanics/garages shouldn't cost more than £60 or better still someone that can do it for beer tokens it is a very easy job to do.
Try National Tyres as they sometimes have a money off voucher. Here’s the link for the voucher print it and take it with you to get £5 off the total cost, national.co.uk/dow…il/
As for the price you put your Registration Number in and they give prices for various choices ie, Fully synthetic oil, Semi Synthetic etc. Off hand I think it cost me £47 for the oil & filter change all in.
I had a full service including oil change at vw garage on my 2 litre diesel golf for £175 six weeks ago. I know you're talking London prices but £100 is madness
Original Poster
i know how to do it as have done it many times before but currently dont have the tools, time or patience.
@Sprograt whats your experience of National tyres?
Cyrus12 m ago

i know how to do it as have done it many times before but currently dont …i know how to do it as have done it many times before but currently dont have the tools, time or patience.@Sprograt whats your experience of National tyres?

enter your post code and reg on clickmechanic.com

select the service you need and see how much it is, usually much cheaper than garages

other option is search yell.com for local mobile mechanic, again will be cheaper than garages and they'll do it on your drive
Cyrus36 m ago

i know how to do it as have done it many times before but currently dont …i know how to do it as have done it many times before but currently dont have the tools, time or patience.@Sprograt whats your experience of National tyres?

You say you don't have the patience but how long would it take you to earn £100. ( For me it's 2 days at work ) .You could do the job in less than 30mins. As for tools you probably only need a spanner for the sump plug and if you don't have something to grip the oil filter, then in the past I have stabbed a screwdriver through the filter body and used that to start unscrewing it, or if you can get both hands round it then an old inner tube from a bicycle should help give enough grip to loosen.

The other big plus point of doing the job yourself is you can purchase a good quality full synthetic oil, with a garage you can request or be given a bill for good oil but there is no guarantee that is what they used. Most garages buy the oil in large 45 gallon drums. How many garages are going to buy in fully synthetic drums for several pounds when they can get a budget drum of oil for £200.

I only ever pay for servicing to keep the warranty valid, after that I do it myself.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 9th Nov 2017
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 56 m ago

I had a full service including oil change at vw garage on my 2 litre …I had a full service including oil change at vw garage on my 2 litre diesel golf for £175 six weeks ago. I know you're talking London prices but £100 is madness

What did they do? Probably an oil and filter change, perhaps an air filter and pollen filter, I appreciate that is the going rate for a main dealer but £175 for that is equally steep!

Like POWYSWALES, once out of warranty I service my own cars (VWs) - a full MAJOR service (oil +filter, fuel, pollen and air filters) takes less than an hour with quality parts in the order of £50 max!
Oil change is probably the easiest diy job on car with no special tools needed (unless some numpty has overtightened the oil filter. Just a bowl £1 from £1 shop to catch the oil in. Fifteen minutes, job done. Worst part is disposing of oil.
Van197326 m ago

What did they do? Probably an oil and filter change, perhaps an air …What did they do? Probably an oil and filter change, perhaps an air filter and pollen filter, I appreciate that is the going rate for a main dealer but £175 for that is equally steep! Like POWYSWALES, once out of warranty I service my own cars (VWs) - a full MAJOR service (oil +filter, fuel, pollen and air filters) takes less than an hour with quality parts in the order of £50 max!

I know it is steep but I can't do it myself and the car is worth a lot of money. It is one of those issues where you don't want to invalidate the warranty. The car has a value whereby full main dealer service is worth the extra expense. My point is that I can get a full main dealer service with oil change on a virtually new car for not a great deal more than an oil change on a twelve year old car.
Cyrus2 h, 25 m ago

I've taken various vehicles to National Tyres for oil changes and never had any issues they take care of your vehicle by using seat covers, paper mats etc. Just a note the price for the oil change is dependent on the grade of oil that your vehicle requires so I would look in your owners handbook to see which specification the car needs and get them to use that oil. Like most garages they will probably try to up sell the oil change to the most expensive oil etc just stay firm and tell them thanks but no thanks.
mrty6 h, 36 m ago

Oil change is probably the easiest diy job on car with no special tools …Oil change is probably the easiest diy job on car with no special tools needed (unless some numpty has overtightened the oil filter. Just a bowl £1 from £1 shop to catch the oil in. Fifteen minutes, job done. Worst part is disposing of oil.

Council tip should take the old oil.
buy the oil and oil filter yourself from eurocarparts. They usually have 50% off every weekend. Then ring up a garage and tell them you have the parts and you need oil and oil filter changing. I wouldn't pay more than £30 and thats being generous. you may have to ring around
Original Poster
thanks all. Booked with national tyres for just shy of £40. I can easily do it myself but honestly with the cold weather and my aging back, I'd rather someone else do it. Also the Oil seems to cost £30 for £40 all done is not bad at all IMO
mrty10 h, 58 m ago

Oil change is probably the easiest diy job on car with no special tools …Oil change is probably the easiest diy job on car with no special tools needed (unless some numpty has overtightened the oil filter. Just a bowl £1 from £1 shop to catch the oil in. Fifteen minutes, job done. Worst part is disposing of oil.

topping up screenwash is probably a bit easier to be fair
psychobitchfromhell9th Nov

I had a full service including oil change at vw garage on my 2 litre …I had a full service including oil change at vw garage on my 2 litre diesel golf for £175 six weeks ago. I know you're talking London prices but £100 is madness

£175 for a VW garage to change oil and filter and possible pollen filter is also expensive.

What work did they carry out for that??
Van19739th Nov

What did they do? Probably an oil and filter change, perhaps an air …What did they do? Probably an oil and filter change, perhaps an air filter and pollen filter, I appreciate that is the going rate for a main dealer but £175 for that is equally steep! Like POWYSWALES, once out of warranty I service my own cars (VWs) - a full MAJOR service (oil +filter, fuel, pollen and air filters) takes less than an hour with quality parts in the order of £50 max!

I'm in agreement with you about what psychobitchfromhell actually paid £175 for the garage to carry out, my betting it was just an oil and filter change possible pollen filter, Air filters are very 40000 miles on VAG.
cliosport651 h, 28 m ago

£175 for a VW garage to change oil and filter and possible pollen filter …£175 for a VW garage to change oil and filter and possible pollen filter is also expensive.What work did they carry out for that??

And a service as I said
cliosport652 h, 0 m ago

I'm in agreement with you about what psychobitchfromhell actually paid …I'm in agreement with you about what psychobitchfromhell actually paid £175 for the garage to carry out, my betting it was just an oil and filter change possible pollen filter, Air filters are very 40000 miles on VAG.

You're very opinionated for someone who wasn't actually there. Thing is, I was there so I might have a slightly better chance of accuracy than you. I'd also like to add that that a main dealer stamp for a service on my three year old car carries slightly more weight with it on resale terms than me saying yeah cliosport65 says I'm wasting my money. My point was ( which you have glossed over even though I have clarified it) I had a full main dealer service including oil change for not a lot more than the price op has been quoted for and therefore the price they have been quoted is excessive. At least I voiced an opinion on the original post which may or may not be helpful, you didn't. Oh and I used to own a Clio sport too if that stops you thinking I know nothing. I got rid because it was so unreliable.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 0 m ago

You're very opinionated for someone who wasn't actually there. Thing is, I …You're very opinionated for someone who wasn't actually there. Thing is, I was there so I might have a slightly better chance of accuracy than you. I'd also like to add that that a main dealer stamp for a service on my three year old car carries slightly more weight with it on resale terms than me saying yeah cliosport65 says I'm wasting my money. My point was ( which you have glossed over even though I have clarified it) I had a full main dealer service including oil change for not a lot more than the price op has been quoted for and therefore the price they have been quoted is excessive. At least I voiced an opinion on the original post which may or may not be helpful, you didn't. Oh and I used to own a Clio sport too if that stops you thinking I know nothing. I got rid because it was so unreliable.

The point I was trying to make (and think Clio is too) is that as cars have become more efficient the word "service" is still assumed by many to mean a considerable amount of work - when in reality it is now just an oil change!

Cars used to need an oil change every 6 months, air filter and plugs annually, points every few years etc - now the oil change is generally 12 months, plugs are 4 years minimum, air filters 4 years etc. The rest of the supposed inspection/check takes less than 2 minutes when the car is on a ramp and is simply a chance for the dealer to look for further work.

A service on a modern car is very simple to undertake , especially when a car is on a ramp - someone DIY orrientated can do a Major service (oil and all filters) in less than an hour at home - saving something like £200-250 labour charge for the work!

The word "service" has been maintained for what is now mostly an oil change (and a quick pressure wash) - yet the prices have increased progressively.

I did not intend to suggest you overpaid for a dealer service - my son's Golf is in need of an interim service (still in warranty) and our first offer on price is £219 - we're seeing of we can get a better price now. At £179 you have not "overpaid" for what I suspect was a minor service at a VW dealer - yes you have probably been stung for the work done but have paid the going rate as we will have to do!

No offence intended.
My advice would be always change oil more than the manufacturers advise, Especially if you do a lot of town driving, Dirty oil will clog up your dpf in no time.
.MUFC.1 h, 0 m ago

My advice would be always change oil more than the manufacturers advise, …My advice would be always change oil more than the manufacturers advise, Especially if you do a lot of town driving, Dirty oil will clog up your dpf in no time.

They have a petrol polo
Van19731 h, 29 m ago

The point I was trying to make (and think Clio is too) is that as cars …The point I was trying to make (and think Clio is too) is that as cars have become more efficient the word "service" is still assumed by many to mean a considerable amount of work - when in reality it is now just an oil change!Cars used to need an oil change every 6 months, air filter and plugs annually, points every few years etc - now the oil change is generally 12 months, plugs are 4 years minimum, air filters 4 years etc. The rest of the supposed inspection/check takes less than 2 minutes when the car is on a ramp and is simply a chance for the dealer to look for further work. A service on a modern car is very simple to undertake , especially when a car is on a ramp - someone DIY orrientated can do a Major service (oil and all filters) in less than an hour at home - saving something like £200-250 labour charge for the work! The word "service" has been maintained for what is now mostly an oil change (and a quick pressure wash) - yet the prices have increased progressively. I did not intend to suggest you overpaid for a dealer service - my son's Golf is in need of an interim service (still in warranty) and our first offer on price is £219 - we're seeing of we can get a better price now. At £179 you have not "overpaid" for what I suspect was a minor service at a VW dealer - yes you have probably been stung for the work done but have paid the going rate as we will have to do!No offence intended.

This is exactly what I meant too.

As you said people get to hung up on the word service and most people won't look at what has been done 40000 miles seems to be the intervals most things get changed on VAGs.
psychobitchfromhell3 h, 13 m ago

And a service as I said

And I asked what else was carried out in your full service to the garage
psychobitchfromhell6 h, 39 m ago

You're very opinionated for someone who wasn't actually there. Thing is, I …You're very opinionated for someone who wasn't actually there. Thing is, I was there so I might have a slightly better chance of accuracy than you. I'd also like to add that that a main dealer stamp for a service on my three year old car carries slightly more weight with it on resale terms than me saying yeah cliosport65 says I'm wasting my money. My point was ( which you have glossed over even though I have clarified it) I had a full main dealer service including oil change for not a lot more than the price op has been quoted for and therefore the price they have been quoted is excessive. At least I voiced an opinion on the original post which may or may not be helpful, you didn't. Oh and I used to own a Clio sport too if that stops you thinking I know nothing. I got rid because it was so unreliable.

As Van1973 said I think you are missing what we are trying to say.

And confusing the word service.

FYI I don't and have never had a clio sport it is just a name.

I have a VAG car and that too has as you claim a full main dealer service history BUT the car hasn't reached 40000 miles yet and has only had the oil + filter change and inspection work carried out each year as part of what the main dealer claim as carried out a full service as per manufacturer's recommendations.

So what I'm saying is that that price is what we usually get quoted for a full service which is oil + filter and inspection work.

The 40k service is in the region of £450 from a main dealer and will be called in there terms a major service.

So if you got all that done for £175 then I need to use that main dealer too
Edited by: "cliosport65" 11th Nov 2017
cliosport6531 m ago

As Van1973 said I think you are missing what we are trying to say.And …As Van1973 said I think you are missing what we are trying to say.And confusing the word service.FYI I don't and have never had a clio sport it is just a name.I have a VAG car and that too has as you claim a full main dealer service history BUT the car hasn't reached 40000 miles yet and has only had the oil + filter change and inspection work carried out each year as part of what the main dealer claim as carried out a full service as per manufacturer's recommendations.So what I'm saying is that that price is what we usually get quoted for a full service which is oil + filter and inspection work.The 40k service is in the region of £450 from a main dealer and will be called in there terms a major service.So if you got all that done for £195 then I need to use that main dealer too

It was 40000 mile service , it was main dealer and it was £175. My point is that if that is what I paid, then £100 plus is expensive for an oil change for a twelve year old polo. It was jct 600 if you are interested.
eslick2 h, 5 m ago

They have a petrol polo

Oops I should learn how to read.
Original Poster
Got the oil change done however national tyres didnt want to stamp the service book. Isnt an oil and oil filter change part of a service?
Cyrus7 m ago

Got the oil change done however national tyres didnt want to stamp the …Got the oil change done however national tyres didnt want to stamp the service book. Isnt an oil and oil filter change part of a service?

its only part of a service so cant really justify having a stamp in your service book.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 41 m ago

It was 40000 mile service , it was main dealer and it was £175. My point …It was 40000 mile service , it was main dealer and it was £175. My point is that if that is what I paid, then £100 plus is expensive for an oil change for a twelve year old polo. It was jct 600 if you are interested.

From the JCT 600 website jct600.co.uk/off…spx

"Minor Service Price's start from £164 for models up to and including 2.0 litre engines. Includes: Oil & Filter change, full vehicle inspection and report, full vehicle road test, diagnostic check and report, Volkswagen stamp in service log book."

Major services are charged from £329.

My point is that basically just an oil change has been done and it has been called a (minor) service - and charged £175 (which is the going rate) for the privilege. So a charge of £100 (although massively OTT) for essentially the same work but called an oil change is not that excessive on a comparative basis.
Cyrus40 m ago

Got the oil change done however national tyres didnt want to stamp the …Got the oil change done however national tyres didnt want to stamp the service book. Isnt an oil and oil filter change part of a service?

Wouldn't worry about it - not going to increase the value of a 12 year old Polo. Just keep the reciept with the service book if you plan on selling the car in the near future.
Van197353 m ago

From the JCT 600 website …From the JCT 600 website https://www.jct600.co.uk/offers/volkswagen-fixed-price-servicing/9305/offerdetail.aspx"Minor Service Price's start from £164 for models up to and including 2.0 litre engines. Includes: Oil & Filter change, full vehicle inspection and report, full vehicle road test, diagnostic check and report, Volkswagen stamp in service log book."Major services are charged from £329.My point is that basically just an oil change has been done and it has been called a (minor) service - and charged £175 (which is the going rate) for the privilege. So a charge of £100 (although massively OTT) for essentially the same work but called an oil change is not that excessive on a comparative basis.

They also cleaned it inside and out which worth a lot when you see the colour of my car. As you say, a service stamp on a 12 year old polo doesn't really matter a hill of beans. On a three year old GTD it does.
Van19731 h, 26 m ago

From the JCT 600 website …From the JCT 600 website https://www.jct600.co.uk/offers/volkswagen-fixed-price-servicing/9305/offerdetail.aspx"Minor Service Price's start from £164 for models up to and including 2.0 litre engines. Includes: Oil & Filter change, full vehicle inspection and report, full vehicle road test, diagnostic check and report, Volkswagen stamp in service log book."Major services are charged from £329.My point is that basically just an oil change has been done and it has been called a (minor) service - and charged £175 (which is the going rate) for the privilege. So a charge of £100 (although massively OTT) for essentially the same work but called an oil change is not that excessive on a comparative basis.

Thanks Van1973 beat me to it, have phoned a lot of garages in my time so I was pretty sure that it was just a glorified oil + filter change.

BUT it is scary that people are actually unaware of what they are paying for.

Thanks for the backing bud
psychobitchfromhell38 m ago

They also cleaned it inside and out which worth a lot when you see the …They also cleaned it inside and out which worth a lot when you see the colour of my car. As you say, a service stamp on a 12 year old polo doesn't really matter a hill of beans. On a three year old GTD it does.

I have agreed with Van1973 all the way and never meant to offend you in anyway as was previously stated by Van1973.

Just so that you know you can take your car to any garage ie not a main dealer and it won't invalidate the warranty if it is serviced with recommended parts and it will of course still have a full service history.

Lately a main dealer service history is worthless as they only do glorified oil changes at a premium, an independent garage service history will go a long way plus they do more and it cheaper too just something for you to think about in the future.
Cyrus2 h, 15 m ago

I would just keep the receipt with the service book.
psychobitchfromhell3 h, 24 m ago

It was 40000 mile service , it was main dealer and it was £175. My point …It was 40000 mile service , it was main dealer and it was £175. My point is that if that is what I paid, then £100 plus is expensive for an oil change for a twelve year old polo. It was jct 600 if you are interested.

Just looking at that jct600 website, if that was supposed to be the 40000 mile service, they have done the wrong service as they have only done oil and filter change. On a 3 year old car it's more likely a 30000 mile service which will be just oil and filter + inspection service??
cliosport651 h, 3 m ago

I have agreed with Van1973 all the way and never meant to offend you in …I have agreed with Van1973 all the way and never meant to offend you in anyway as was previously stated by Van1973.Just so that you know you can take your car to any garage ie not a main dealer and it won't invalidate the warranty if it is serviced with recommended parts and it will of course still have a full service history.Lately a main dealer service history is worthless as they only do glorified oil changes at a premium, an independent garage service history will go a long way plus they do more and it cheaper too just something for you to think about in the future.

Oh Lord I'm not offended. It happens to be convenient for me to take it there. The local garage I used for my last car is a four mile walk home as I'd have to leave it all day. My husband used to drop it off on his way to work but he doesn't drive a lot since he died. Come to think about it, he doesn't work very much these days either. These guys will come and pick it up if I want and bring it back when they're done. I know I'm paying a premium which is my point. £100 is a daft amount for an oil change on a polo. Still friends ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions