car noise diagnoses.. VW golf, squeaky noise

Found 28th Mar 2016
Hi all,

If in doubt turn to HUKD misc...

I just spent a whack of money having my timing belt replaced on a 2001 VW golf because i was hearing a squeaky belt noise. However, this has not fixed the issue, and I don't think the garage have a clue either (they just wanted to make a quick buck with the timing belt job).

so you can find a quick recording of the noise here - drive.google.com/ope…SWM

The noise only happens now and again and has been happenign for the past three weeks. When in the cab it sounds like the noise is clearly coming from the left hand side of the car, just behind the glove box. But there don't appear to be any belts in any of the pieces of engine equipment behind that location...

i thought i'd throw it out here on the off chance...
Community Updates
AskCarGolfHeadphonesVW
24 Comments
"Old VW Volkswagen Advert - Mystery Squeaking Noise"
[ youtube.com/wat…NQk ]
Maybe heating/cooling fan?

Btw timing belts do not squeak...
it could be the thrust bearing on the clutch if it is coming from the passengers side does it change at all if you press the clutch down?
could just be the noise is coming throught the cooling system.

have you checked for mice under the bonnet?
Does it happen more when you go over bumps or change the sound when you go over bumps? As we had a sound like this that happened more when we went over bumps and it was a broken exhaust bracket/clamp. sounded like metal on metal squeeky and we thought it might be a bush that had gone as the sound could be continuos.

Does the sound change at all when steering? The last weird squeal we had turned out to be the power steering needed fluid and that is an easy thing to check.

Ours is a 2001 golf gti turbo

Edited by: "Purps" 28th Mar 2016
I had the same for 2 years and it turned out to be a cracked spring! cheap to change but hard to find unless it actually breaks. drove me mad till an eagle eyed not tester failed me for it
Original Poster
Purps

Does it happen more when you go over bumps or change the sound when you … Does it happen more when you go over bumps or change the sound when you go over bumps? As we had a sound like this that happened more when we went over bumps and it was a broken exhaust bracket/clamp. sounded like metal on metal squeeky and we thought it might be a bush that had gone as the sound could be continuos.Does the sound change at all when steering? The last weird squeal we had turned out to be the power steering needed fluid and that is an easy thing to check.Ours is a 2001 golf gti turbo

doesnt change over bumps, sometimes it changes when i accelerate, sometimes it doesnt... i will keep my ears open for changes when steering tho, thanks for the suggestion
Original Poster
pigthemaster

I had the same for 2 years and it turned out to be a cracked spring! … I had the same for 2 years and it turned out to be a cracked spring! cheap to change but hard to find unless it actually breaks. drove me mad till an eagle eyed not tester failed me for it

where was there a cracked spring? in the suspension? i recorded this noise when idle
Original Poster
stano_uk

it could be the thrust bearing on the clutch if it is coming from the … it could be the thrust bearing on the clutch if it is coming from the passengers side does it change at all if you press the clutch down?

not that i noticed, will keep my ears peeled for a chnage on clutch, thanks.
N1K0LAI_DAN7E

doesnt change over bumps, sometimes it changes when i accelerate, … doesnt change over bumps, sometimes it changes when i accelerate, sometimes it doesnt... i will keep my ears open for changes when steering tho, thanks for the suggestion

No worries, know what it's like worrying about your car. But would be good to check the fluids to the power steering, they can make a hell of a noise if the run dry, but a easy and free thing to check.
Edited by: "Purps" 28th Mar 2016
Original Poster
katchiib

Maybe heating/cooling fan?Btw timing belts do not squeak...

someone else mentioned a fan in the cooling/heating vents... i feel like it could be this as it soudns like it is coming right from one of the vents... will try turning them off when it makes it

cause if it isnt a belt (which it cant be) then it probably is a fan... thinking about it my pc fans made some comparable squeaky noises a while back...
Edited by: "N1K0LAI_DAN7E" 28th Mar 2016
Could be an accumulation of dust in the brake pads/shims, it'll take kwik-fart 30 seconds to blow them out.
Could it be the alternator belt? You could try spraying a little water on it, though you can normally tell if it's the belt squealing.
I couldn't get the link , to hear the noise , it's not just a belt squeaking ? they squeak when they get damp and oily ? a bit of talcum powder... ? I had a belt on the powered steering that drove me crazy ...fired some talcum powered on it ....silence ...
Heater Matrix - mg.nurburgringautoparts.com/med…jpg - press the bottom left button so the fan recirculates around the car - this should fix it.

Thats if its a fan related fault. ( i had the same issue on my mk4 golf)
A mouse?
Scrap it.
have u checked on the hamsters under the bonnet?
they do requird feeding from time to time
N1K0LAI_DAN7E

where was there a cracked spring? in the suspension? i recorded this … where was there a cracked spring? in the suspension? i recorded this noise when idle

​rules that out then I suppose.
Might be the water pump. Was it changed along with the cam-belt ? It should have been.............
Original Poster
tintin7

Might be the water pump. Was it changed along with the cam-belt ? It … Might be the water pump. Was it changed along with the cam-belt ? It should have been.............

new water pump as of 5 days ago.

pretty sure its the fan as it almost sounds like its in the cab, and not in the engine, so i'll try the button trick marzbarz suggested, if that doesnt work will have a garage look into having it replaced

wouldnt you just know it though i drove in it this afternoon and an engine coil has just gone as well, so that will be an exhaust, timing belt, water pump, coil, boot latch and fan issue all in a month (not that the timing belt actually needed changing for another 15k miles)... but hey ho, these things are sent to try us.
Edited by: "N1K0LAI_DAN7E" 28th Mar 2016
Time to get a new car or just turn the radio up so u cang hear it lol
N1K0LAI_DAN7E

new water pump as of 5 days ago. pretty sure its the fan as it almost … new water pump as of 5 days ago. pretty sure its the fan as it almost sounds like its in the cab, and not in the engine, so i'll try the button trick marzbarz suggested, if that doesnt work will have a garage look into having it replacedwouldnt you just know it though i drove in it this afternoon and an engine coil has just gone as well, so that will be an exhaust, timing belt, water pump, coil, boot latch and fan issue all in a month (not that the timing belt actually needed changing for another 15k miles)... but hey ho, these things are sent to try us.

Did you try it ?
N1K0LAI_DAN7E there was a recall on the Coil Packs, so if you have not had them done yet....
Robinsons will price match as long as it is from somewhere which is within 5miles from them and that uses OEM parts. We had one with an issue and they done the lot.

BTW did you ever find out what the noise was?

Edited by: "Purps" 3rd Apr 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants