Car Number Plate Question

Found 7th Sep 2017Edited by:"beermonster12521"
Hi all. I bought the wife a personalised number plate for her birthday and now she wants to buy me one for mine. Originality was never her strong point! Never really wanted one but she's insistent. The main problem is having a stupid first name like Ian is making the idea very tricky. 51 or 11 then AN and my last name initial is the only real option without it costing a huge amount. My question is I know I should legally space the letters XX51 ANX but how much police or legal attention would it attract if they were spaced XX5 1ANX. Not much point having a personalised plate if it doesn't spell my name or initials and I can't think of another way around it. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Just follow the law fella.
I don't like personalised number plates I'd think of something else lol each to their own though happy birthday
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 7th Sep 2017
Original Poster
She usually just asks me what I want for my birthday but this year I think she's been "inspired" by me buying her number plate! God help us. Would have settled for a nice watch or a romantic weekend away but she's got other ideas.
£1000 fine if they spot you, it messes with ANPR so they are pretty strict on it.
Cheaper to change your name by deed pole to whatever the reg is now on your current car.
Id stick to the law, it's only an invitation to get pulled and have your car scrutinised for other things the police can find wrong
darkovo32 m ago

Cheaper to change your name by deed pole to whatever the reg is now on …Cheaper to change your name by deed pole to whatever the reg is now on your current car.

This, probably far cheaper and far more original for a birthday present.
Finding someone to make 'altered' plates can sometimes be tricky and don't forget to change the plates for correct ones for the mot.
I have a private plate and space it to my liking to spell my name. Had it around 3 years on 2 different cars, never had any problems or been stopped. You see it on the road no end
The police don't seem to give a toss, judging by the number of dodgy plates you see these days. I saw one yesterday with a deliberately grey background rather than yellow.
Personalised plates are usually fine but XX5 1ANX is just crap really...
Just pick really expensive ones, that will put her off, then just say you'd be just as happy with ? Instead, you said your not that interested in one, just need to change her mind. Good luck.
Original Poster
bobdylan9 h, 3 m ago

Personalised plates are usually fine but XX5 1ANX is just crap really...

The X's would obviously be other letters but thanks for your comment anyway....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants