Groups

Car Paintwork DIY job

Just on the off chance somebody here knows about this.

I was washing my car the other day and tried to remove a stonechip with the powerjet!!

Bad move.

Appears I have removed a fair bit of laquer. This is a black sapphire metallic BMW. Just above the right front headlamp. Its all sort of peeling off to reveal the matt paint underneath.

I have a repair kit from Halfords and some sandpaper(varying grits). Should I try and repair this myself? I am selling the car in the next few weeks and don't want to spend £200 at a bodyshop, but want a decent finish so potential buyers won't notice the paint damage.

Advice appreciated.:)

8 Comments

Original Poster

]http//ww…asp

I was going to follow the guidelines here.

did you look at this?

]http//ww…001

if its just the one stonechip, it should only cost £50 for an invisible repair! i have seen the work done, its pretty damn amazing.

Original Poster

It was just one stonechip until I used the high pressure hose on it. The pressure has removed at least a 10x2cm patch of laquer surounding the chip. If my own rpeairs don't go to plan I will follow up on your advice.

whats your local halfords? i prob know someone in that store whom i can recommend you talk to about getting a good result.

what about your local chipsaway ?

Original Poster

shanecr

whats your local halfords? i prob know someone in that store whom i can … whats your local halfords? i prob know someone in that store whom i can recommend you talk to about getting a good result.

Straiton , Edinburgh.

spudgun

It was just one stonechip until I used the high pressure hose on it. The … It was just one stonechip until I used the high pressure hose on it. The pressure has removed at least a 10x2cm patch of laquer surounding the chip. If my own rpeairs don't go to plan I will follow up on your advice.

Be careful though, as if you make it worse (very easy to do) then it will cost more in the long run. Have it done properly and just add a little extra on to your asking price. :thumbsup:

Take it to a body shop its only a quick job with a sander and buffer, saves the hassle and if you dont no what your are doing it can go horribley wrong
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3631399
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846331
      3. Gold Flamedeer thread (ABSOLUTELY NO HINTING/MENTIONING THE TRADING OF GOLD…35
      4. EE Retention Deal S811

See more discussions