Expired

Car parking problems

Found 4th Sep 2012
I have serious car parking issues outside my house (on street parking) both my neighbours have 2 cars each, we only have one. Also my neighbours son who lives on next street decides to park on our street as well!!

Legally I know I can't do anything but anyone with similar experience may have some ideas, can I put a "be considerate" sort of sign, tell local council???

Any ideas or info appreciated.
Community Updates
MiscCarMovie & Series
84 Comments
speak to your council first failing that a baseball bat, car clamp and a angry face should sort the problem
Ask them politely to leave you a space.
Smash their windows, slash their tyres and kick their wing mirrors off. They'll soon get the hint.
Do you have room for an extension?

hotukdeals.com/mis…976
Edited by: "greg_68" 4th Sep 2012
Neighbours don't really take my spot but others do & that's because all other "free" spots are taken by neighbours cars. I can't really tell guests or other people, if know what I mean.
Just make your own space.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6436303743_0ae54153c0_z.jpg
I wish....lol
What do you want? Do you expect to be able to park outside your own home? Do you want your neighbours to get rid of a car? Do you want the neighbours son to park somewhere else?
I had a similar problem, in Watford where I used to live, the roads had terraced houses, so there was no off street parking.
Basically, it was first come first served.
Surely, before you moved there, you took into account there was only on street parking.

Sorry, I know I don't seem to be very sympathetic, but I don't think there is an answer. Although, you could try leaving your car outside your house, & not using it, for a week or so, so your neighbours have similar problems with parking. (not very practical)
Sell your car or sell your house.
No I don't want them to sale cars or leave space, although one car hardly moves!!! All I want is neighbours to be considerate. Why is their son parking on our street??
I know theirs not much I can do but people have similar problems & maybe someone MAY have an idea or solution...
Move
Same issue here and we have parking permit zone!
As far as knowing about the issues before moving, we've been there for 28 years now and back then, it was fine obviously.

Now the issue is that despite parking permits, it's only between 8am-6pm and being right next to the town centre means that most of the worlds disabled drivers park on my road even through the town provides parking for them.
After 6pm, those who go for orange 2-1 or whatever park on the road I live on and walk over to the cinema, same goes for pub-goers etc

Numerous complaints to council and MP who are not willing to help or extend the hours like most places have done
Some neighbours have resorted into damaging cars and those cars have not returned so clearly it is working

My contribution is in-car camera that has nabbed 2 "disabled drivers" who clearly were not and were using family passes and one driver I am onto I know for a fact lives 6 miles outside the zone but has managed to get a pass by getting friendly with someone in the zone (and paying them for it)

Appreciate parking is a luxury but I do not expect to have to wait 2 hours for a space especially after a 10-12 hour working day nor do I expect to have to make kids/elders walk to the house from 1/2 mile away for the nearest space

Afterall, I don't go to peoples houses and stick my car in their drive way!

rant over :-)
alien_jiggy

No I don't want them to sale cars or leave space, although one car hardly … No I don't want them to sale cars or leave space, although one car hardly moves!!! All I want is neighbours to be considerate. Why is their son parking on our street?? I know theirs not much I can do but people have similar problems & maybe someone MAY have an idea or solution...

You could ask them.
Man up & speak to your neighbours & explain & maybe you can come to an agreement,
I have had a battle for years with our local council as we live near a large college who shut their car park off when full, and it is way to small so all the students/staff flood down on to the residents parking...

My council have ignored every request to make it resident permit parking, even the local paper have highlighted the problem but to no avail...

Whilst I dont have a solution for you, I can offer you some sympathy, unfortunately the only solution is to damage repeat offending cars (which I strongly disagree with) but it seems to work, there is one spot about 200 feet from my house that nobody parks in, it is like a voodoo spot, and that is because every car that parks there gets damage
Its not YOUR street.

parking = moot subject
street parking is free for all, its as fair as it gets
legally AND morally they have just as much right to park on a street as you.

install a dropped kerb if you can afford it but bear in mind they can still park in front of it if no car is in your drive

I really cant see how you feel your neighbours are being inconsiderate for parking on a public street! oO
Edited by: "csiman" 4th Sep 2012
shezza1979

I could go on and on really. But what i wanted to know was what is the … I could go on and on really. But what i wanted to know was what is the score with Resident Parking Permits, is it worth enquiring about them? Would it be a waste of time considering the people who decide on such things are probably somehow connected with the Masons? Every other road i've ever seen that is near a high street has always been resident permits, just not ours

Generally when implemented, They only allow one permit per household. Which alot of the street won't agree to.
I would speak to your neighbours first, and hope that they are decent people.
Same exact problem here. Next door is off on holiday I guess. Someone is looking after their dog (which keeps howling day in and day out ffs) but he was parked in my space. I finished work at 1AM the other day and came back and had to use someone else's space. (A nice old lady at the end of the road who doesn't mind). I came in wrote a little note, not a nasty one, just a note to say it's my space (as it is - has our house number on the ground!) put it on their windscreen and now, I think they have got the hint. My space is always free.
while on the subject of parking, I rang up about the free loft insulation with the Telegraph and British Gas, had the brief 'questionnaire' to book the appointment for a survey of the loft. One of the questions was can I GUARANTEE a parking space outside my house with street parking, so I reply "its street parking no one can do that!",
"well sir, its a simple yes or no, if its no you get no survey!"
SO I said "yes but I can't legally guarantee any such thing, since this call is being recorded........."
Like jonny said
just get an old car you couldn't give a toss about & park it wherever you can or you will spend your whole life arguing about it

failing that have a fight with them
I can't believe the downright cheek of some people parking in freely available places when they have bought their car tax giving them every right to do so. Some people have no morals.
one guy down the road from me does a lot of DIY @ alfonse, anway he puts a sign up saying skip being delivered if you park here your car will get damaged (accidentally)

stops people parking there, you can do that when you are expecting them
mattpreston11

Generally when implemented, They only allow one permit per household. … Generally when implemented, They only allow one permit per household. Which alot of the street won't agree to.

Thank you for such a sensible answer. So the whole street has to agree to permits ... hmmm no chance then!
Basically, as others have said, it's first come, first served. All you can do is speak to them politely and ask if there is any way they could leave space for you. If they say no, then that's you. no amount of contacting the council or putting signs up will make any difference.
I find it annoying where I live where every house has at least one garage as well as a driveway and everyone still parks on the street. There's not a problem with getting a space but it's unsightly and not great for the kids playing out there.
I had the same problem for years, unfortunatley its just 'one of those things'. You could perhaps speak to them about your problem in the hope they might be considerate, but at the end of the day it is what it is - on street parking. Might be a pain, but thats why you pay a premium to live somewhere with its own parking.

With regard to the comment a couple up of 'report offending cars' - you can't. You have no entitlement to park there, its first come first served. I am sure millions of people have this problem
Aeschylus

I have had a battle for years with our local council as we live near a … I have had a battle for years with our local council as we live near a large college who shut their car park off when full, and it is way to small so all the students/staff flood down on to the residents parking...My council have ignored every request to make it resident permit parking, even the local paper have highlighted the problem but to no avail...Whilst I dont have a solution for you, I can offer you some sympathy, unfortunately the only solution is to damage repeat offending cars (which I strongly disagree with) but it seems to work, there is one spot about 200 feet from my house that nobody parks in, it is like a voodoo spot, and that is because every car that parks there gets damage

To advise someone to damage someone else's car is absolutely disgusting you vile creature.
jonny619447

To advise someone to damage someone else's car is absolutely disgusting … To advise someone to damage someone else's car is absolutely disgusting you vile creature.

you should re-read before you make yourself look even more stupid
Aeschylus

you should re-read before you make yourself look even more stupid

"The only solution is to damage repeat offenders cars"

Isn't a solution to a problem advice?
Deal with it?

You have no right to park outside your own house, it's a public highway that everyone pays to maintain.

Lived in plenty of places where it's a fight to park, first come first served, that's just how it is. Often had to walk from car to house for up to 3 minutes with boxes from work/shopping etc, never understood why one or two neighbors felt they owned the street outside their house, idiots.

If this is all you have to stress about then you have it pretty good.
Problem is if your neighbours don't park there and people see spaces are being created others will be attracted to the empty spaces too, it will be unlikely that if the neighbours leave spaces they will still be there when you need them.
jonny619447

"The only solution is to damage repeat offenders cars"Isn't a solution to … "The only solution is to damage repeat offenders cars"Isn't a solution to a problem advice?

editing a piece of text is not on, the sentence is

unfortunately the only solution is to damage repeat offending cars (which … unfortunately the only solution is to damage repeat offending cars (which I strongly disagree with)

it is not advice it is a observation on something I have witnessed, you should work for the Sun newspaper
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 4th Sep 2012
Aeschylus

editing a piece of text is not on, the sentence is it is not advice it is … editing a piece of text is not on, the sentence is it is not advice it is a observation on something I have witnessed, you should work for the Sun newspaper

So you disagree with your own advice, and you're calling me stupid.
Wow. oO
jonny619447

So you disagree with your own advice, and you're calling me stupid. Wow. … So you disagree with your own advice, and you're calling me stupid. Wow. oO

no, it is just you being all Asperger’s. As always you come into a misc post just to post stupid comments which add nothing to the debate, this forum needs member like you to just stop posting, people like you are the reason people leave misc in their droves

I am sure in a minute you will start checking everyones spelling
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 4th Sep 2012
jonny619447

"The only solution is to damage repeat offenders cars"Isn't a solution to … "The only solution is to damage repeat offenders cars"Isn't a solution to a problem advice?

a solution to something is just that, it does not matter if it is right/wrong/ethical/moral from whatever point of view.

Aeschylus

no, it is just you being all Asperger’s. As always you come into a misc p … no, it is just you being all Asperger’s. As always you come into a misc post just to post stupid comments which add nothing to the debate, this forum needs member like you to just stop posting, people like you are the reason people leave misc in their droves

My advice was "Its not YOUR street".
Your advice was " The only solution is to damage repeat offending cars".

You are advising people to commit criminal offences to get their own way.
You are a vile cretin.
jonny619447

My advice was "Its not YOUR street". Your advice was " The only solution … My advice was "Its not YOUR street". Your advice was " The only solution is to damage repeat offending cars".You are advising people to commit criminal offences to get their own way. You are a vile cretin.

a. that's a statement not advice
b. you fail

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants