Carphone warehouse to close 541 stores with job losses of over 2900!

Posted 17th Mar
Devastating news especially for the staff!
Community Updates
Lead deal editor
Bit of info why Sad times for those affected

As part of the "next step in its transformation", Dixons has said it will close its 531 standalone Carphone Warehouse stores in the UK and focus on selling mobile devices in 305 big Currys PCWorld stores and online.

While 1,800 people working in them are expected to be able to find new jobs, the firm added it expects 2,900 redundancies as a result of the move.

"Dixons Carphone will go well beyond legal obligations in financial and other support for all affected colleagues," the firm said in a statement.

"There's never an easy time for an announcement like this, but the turbulent times ahead only underline the importance of acting now, to ensure a business fit for the future."

Chief executive Alex Baldock said: "Customers are changing how they buy technology, and Dixons Carphone must change with them. We're underway with a fundamental transformation to do so.

"Today's tough decision is an essential part of that, the next step in making our UK Mobile business a success for customers, colleagues and other shareholders."

Source
Misc

Groups

Top comments
The writing was on the wall for a while. Smartphone saturation point had come a long time ago.

Plus the greed of Apple, Samsung in trying to flog £800 £900 phones hoping punters will buy/change every year is ridiculous. My £150 Samsung A30 does a very adequate job for the past year and is pristine. (No glass protector either needed).

The business model with the ignorant and inept staff was unsutainable. Ask some technical questions in store and they give you a blank stare or lie to you. Lack of training for jobsworths didnt help, in the corporate greed to save money and keep shareholders happy. Capitalism at its worst.
eBay will be flooded with poorly-cut light grey suits within a day or two.
It will happen more and more as people buy online more...I think 2900 isn’t bad, there’s going to be a hell of a lot more hospitality jobs lost with this virus and people not going out...
Very unfortunate, but whenever I have gone past a Carphonewarehouse shop over the last few months there have been more staff than customers, even on a Saturday.
39 Comments
Twixellzz17/03/2020 08:06

Comment deleted

That's terrible. My friend got made redundant from Fultons foods last Tuesday and her last day was Sunday. They have done a deal with Poundland to supply them with frozen food, bit like Heron and B&M (although Poundland haven't bought Fultons.. Yet). So they knew it was in the pipeline moving the frozen bit into the local Poundland, but decided to give them five days notice.
To be honest the Carphone Warehouse name was very outdated wasn't it. I hope that Dixons can find positions in their stores for some of the staff. It seems that only the phone shops selling their own products (EE, Three, Samsung) are able to have a robust physical presence nowadays.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 17th Mar
It will happen more and more as people buy online more...I think 2900 isn’t bad, there’s going to be a hell of a lot more hospitality jobs lost with this virus and people not going out...
Very unfortunate, but whenever I have gone past a Carphonewarehouse shop over the last few months there have been more staff than customers, even on a Saturday.
Bargainhead17/03/2020 09:26

It will happen more and more as people buy online more...I think 2900 …It will happen more and more as people buy online more...I think 2900 isn’t bad, there’s going to be a hell of a lot more hospitality jobs lost with this virus and people not going out...

It's the sad truth of it right there. I bought a new contract on Saturday from them online because the deals are better than in store and I can sit and do it at night whilst dinner is cooking.
Is mobilephonesdirect owned by carphonewarehouse or did they sell it ?
Mark_Hickman17/03/2020 10:29

Mobiles.co.uk is owned by carphone, don't think mobilephonesdirect is
Bit is should imagine they will still trade as normal, the reason they done it is because more people shop online and the stores were becoming less profitable
The writing was on the wall for a while. Smartphone saturation point had come a long time ago.

Plus the greed of Apple, Samsung in trying to flog £800 £900 phones hoping punters will buy/change every year is ridiculous. My £150 Samsung A30 does a very adequate job for the past year and is pristine. (No glass protector either needed).

The business model with the ignorant and inept staff was unsutainable. Ask some technical questions in store and they give you a blank stare or lie to you. Lack of training for jobsworths didnt help, in the corporate greed to save money and keep shareholders happy. Capitalism at its worst.
Onlydongles17/03/2020 10:47

The writing was on the wall for a while. Smartphone saturation point had …The writing was on the wall for a while. Smartphone saturation point had come a long time ago.Plus the greed of Apple, Samsung in trying to flog £800 £900 phones hoping punters will buy/change every year is ridiculous. My £150 Samsung A30 does a very adequate job for the past year and is pristine. (No glass protector either needed).The business model with the ignorant and inept staff was unsutainable. Ask some technical questions in store and they give you a blank stare or lie to you. Lack of training for jobsworths didnt help, in the corporate greed to save money and keep shareholders happy. Capitalism at its worst.

I don't think Apple do hope people will change every year, they know some want to, hence Apple offer their upgrade programme but most are changing every 2-3 years still or even longer.
There has just been a big shift in the 10 years since the iPhone came out, now most people buy phone and contract separately, they don't change the contract regularly only the handset and if they do its done direct with the network. So there is no money in it for carphone warehouse old business model of getting the network subsidies for selling contracts. Now its the same as buying a TV where the profit is in the initial sale of the handset, not the contract.
rickybd17/03/2020 10:28

... I bought a new contract on Saturday from them online because the deals …... I bought a new contract on Saturday from them online because the deals are better than in store and I can sit and do it at night whilst dinner is cooking.

...and have cancellation rights associated with off-premises sales that are completely non-existent if purchase made in-store.
Neil4917/03/2020 10:17

Very unfortunate, but whenever I have gone past a Carphonewarehouse shop …Very unfortunate, but whenever I have gone past a Carphonewarehouse shop over the last few months there have been more staff than customers, even on a Saturday.

+1
Finally the greedy high street phone stores have had their day - there's little reason to go to these high street stores with their pushy staff anymore. I always winced when I'd go in to check something and heard one of their staff selling something to some unsuspecting technophobe that was way more than they'd ever need, and cost way more than they should be spending.
Will not be missed.

Greedy chain got its day of reckoning. Not good for the employees mind you.

I sense ALOT of businesses going under over the next couple of months.
Edited by: "Wizzfizz" 17th Mar
GAME next hopefully
jon81uk17/03/2020 11:02

I don't think Apple do hope people will change every year, they know some …I don't think Apple do hope people will change every year, they know some want to, hence Apple offer their upgrade programme but most are changing every 2-3 years still or even longer.There has just been a big shift in the 10 years since the iPhone came out, now most people buy phone and contract separately, they don't change the contract regularly only the handset and if they do its done direct with the network. So there is no money in it for carphone warehouse old business model of getting the network subsidies for selling contracts. Now its the same as buying a TV where the profit is in the initial sale of the handset, not the contract.

You not seen the big fines imposed on Apple recently?
Haircut_10017/03/2020 09:24

To be honest the Carphone Warehouse name was very outdated wasn't it. I …To be honest the Carphone Warehouse name was very outdated wasn't it. I hope that Dixons can find positions in their stores for some of the staff. It seems that only the phone shops selling their own products (EE, Three, Samsung) are able to have a robust physical presence nowadays.

They only currently survive because of the excessive profits they make on the overpriced handsets.
I can see many of them being in same position before long.
Folks laid off will not be spending money on phones when the choice is that or food!
Kaytranada17/03/2020 12:18

You not seen the big fines imposed on Apple recently?

That was to do with four plus year old handsets. Apple still sell one year old hardware brand new so they are obviously not trying to get people to get a new handset every year. But the demands of software constantly change and a 4/5/6 year old handset won’t be able to work as well as a new one
They can drop the 'carphone', now it's just a warehouse...

Terrible for staff though, good luck guys..
Edited by: "winchman" 17th Mar
Mark_Hickman17/03/2020 10:29

No mobliephonesdirect is not owned by cpw
Redundancy sucks!

Been there, done that got the t-shirt.
5hooey17/03/2020 13:39

Redundancy sucks!Been there, done that got the t-shirt.

It's not good but sometimes can be a chance for change though to be made redundant now is a very bad time for it to happen.
They claimed the compared the market but didn't compare every network. Comet /Curry's /pc world .
I will never use them . Poor after sales and nothing particularly cheap .
Avoid and buy else were

The writing was on the wall for a while. Smartphone saturation point had …The writing was on the wall for a while. Smartphone saturation point had come a long time ago.Plus the greed of Apple, Samsung in trying to flog £800 £900 phones hoping punters will buy/change every year is ridiculous. My £150 Samsung A30 does a very adequate job for the past year and is pristine. (No glass protector either needed).The business model with the ignorant and inept staff was unsutainable. Ask some technical questions in store and they give you a blank stare or lie to you. Lack of training for jobsworths didnt help, in the corporate greed to save money and keep shareholders happy. Capitalism at its worst.

"Does this one do HDMI output?"

"...it should. It's got 3GB of RAM"
I'm amazed they lasted as long as they did, last time I bought a phone from a physical shop was in 2003.
Pájaro17/03/2020 16:51

"Does this one do HDMI output?""...it should. It's got 3GB of RAM"

????????? maybe question meant for another thread?
SJHan17/03/2020 12:09

GAME next hopefully

They already closed once upon a time, and were bought up again. 2012 I think it was.
Erudite17/03/2020 12:31

They don't wear suits

I too notice a shift in society (and myself).

The collapse has been coming because:

1) The flagship updates lack any new "wow" factor
2) Prices are getting absolutely ridiculous for tech you know before you even buy it, will be outdated after a year.
3) Companies like apple purposefully slowing old devices leaving a bad taste in customers mouths
4) The rise of the cheap alternatives especially from the Chinese market.
5) Iterations being so ridiculously similar to the last (see iPhone 6,6s,7,8)

There's only so much "stupid" the average punter will take before they wise up, and there been a good few years of stupid already.
TheOak17/03/2020 21:32

I too notice a shift in society (and myself). The collapse has been coming …I too notice a shift in society (and myself). The collapse has been coming because:1) The flagship updates lack any new "wow" factor2) Prices are getting absolutely ridiculous for tech you know before you even buy it, will be outdated after a year.3) Companies like apple purposefully slowing old devices leaving a bad taste in customers mouths4) The rise of the cheap alternatives especially from the Chinese market.5) Iterations being so ridiculously similar to the last (see iPhone 6,6s,7,8)There's only so much "stupid" the average punter will take before they wise up, and there been a good few years of stupid already.

True. But the worse rub is that management of all these companies become so bloody complacent with their setup and fatcat pay/bonuses, that they dont innovate, adapt and provide value for money to customers and be in their good books. Treated only as cash cows. Zero customer service and arrogance seeps thru.

They literally take punters for granted and suck out as much money as is possible, and then run for the hills or Yachts. Let the bankers/ lenders pick up the tabs and employees be damned.

Just learned that Laura Ashley has filed for adminstration today with another 2000 jobs gone and a good brand with it.

Next in line is W H Smiths, Argos (nearly gone), Wilko, John Lewis, M&S (except food division) & Three network will also be closing a lot of their stores. All unravelling within the next 6 months. Not to mention BA (another arrogant and gouging outfit) and other airlines and realted businesses.
I think all phone shops will follow suit soon. When I go past 02, three shops, there are only staff in there.
Onlydongles17/03/2020 19:01

????????? maybe question meant for another thread?

I mean, it's the experience I had with CPW last time I was dragged into one to by an elderly friend, to support him in buying his first smartphone. To say those guys were clueless would be an understatement.
guru40417/03/2020 19:07

They already closed once upon a time, and were bought up again. 2012 I …They already closed once upon a time, and were bought up again. 2012 I think it was.

Wasnt that Game Station?
Pájaro17/03/2020 23:14

I mean, it's the experience I had with CPW last time I was dragged into …I mean, it's the experience I had with CPW last time I was dragged into one to by an elderly friend, to support him in buying his first smartphone. To say those guys were clueless would be an understatement.

I can relate to that now. A few weeks ago, I went into an EE store to enquire if they did a 5G router (with sim slot like vodafone does - with a view to replacing home BB line) . The not so eager Essex girl (honest) insisted that the router she was showing me was the 5G one !

Actually, it was a 4G router with the wifi outputs showing in BOLD LETTERS as both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz compatible !! I didnt know where to hide my irritation at the sheer ignorance of the staff. There were half a dozen of them loitering and staring into space or their handsets. 5G V 5Ghz wifi.
Onlydongles17/03/2020 22:04

True. But the worse rub is that management of all these companies become …True. But the worse rub is that management of all these companies become so bloody complacent with their setup and fatcat pay/bonuses, that they dont innovate, adapt and provide value for money to customers and be in their good books. Treated only as cash cows. Zero customer service and arrogance seeps thru.They literally take punters for granted and suck out as much money as is possible, and then run for the hills or Yachts. Let the bankers/ lenders pick up the tabs and employees be damned. Just learned that Laura Ashley has filed for adminstration today with another 2000 jobs gone and a good brand with it.Next in line is W H Smiths, Argos (nearly gone), Wilko, John Lewis, M&S (except food division) & Three network will also be closing a lot of their stores. All unravelling within the next 6 months. Not to mention BA (another arrogant and gouging outfit) and other airlines and realted businesses.

Argos is actually doing pretty well and Sainsbury's are expanding but mainly by placing Argos stores inside Sainsbury's ones. Argos are innovating and adapting more than many other retailers.

WHSmiths are doing fairly well, mainly because the travel stores are very profitiable and there subsidise the high street stores that haven't closed yet.
jon81uk18/03/2020 11:48

Argos is actually doing pretty well and Sainsbury's are expanding but …Argos is actually doing pretty well and Sainsbury's are expanding but mainly by placing Argos stores inside Sainsbury's ones. Argos are innovating and adapting more than many other retailers.WHSmiths are doing fairly well, mainly because the travel stores are very profitiable and there subsidise the high street stores that haven't closed yet.

There was news recently that all standalone Argos stores will be converted to Sainsbury Express grocery type stores.
Onlydongles18/03/2020 12:24

There was news recently that all standalone Argos stores will be converted …There was news recently that all standalone Argos stores will be converted to Sainsbury Express grocery type stores.

That doesn't mean Argos is doing badly, just that Sainsburys sees more money in selling groceries and other goods.
Sorry for the people losing their jobs but after the really bad experience we had with our local CW some years ago, we have never set foot in one of their places again. Unfortunately the foul mouthed and threatening member of staff concerned will still be there as it was in a Curry’s store.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants