Car problem - electric mirrors don't like cold weather

Posted 18th Dec 2019
Has anyone ever come across this problem before, I've googled it but can't find anyone else who's had the same problem?

When the ambient temperature is above around 15 degrees C the electric adjustment on my mirrors works fine every time but in lower temperature they're very intermittent. Sometimes you can be jabbing the controls and they do absolutely nothing, sometimes the mirrors move but very jerkily, other times it's fine.

I know it's definitely heat related as I had the same problem last winter, no problems at all through the summer then it started again in the autumn.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
spoo18/12/2019 17:07

6 year old Citroen.

Close the thread, I've found the problem
21 Comments
39428763-ELeYB.jpgSocks: amazon.co.uk/Mir…p_1

Or a cheaper alternative, if you don't mind funny looks:
39428763-y3clz.jpg
Oil/grease in the little motors starts to solidify in really low temp. Heck, we all start to do that in cold weather!

Whatever you do, don't keep prolonging trying to operate as you can do damage - and some wing mirrors ain't cheap!
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 18th Dec 2019
Check the electrical connections onto the motors are tight, metal contacts can shrink away from each other
Mine does that during heavy rain. They struggle to open/close and make a hell of a racket
car age? warranty?
Why do you need to keep moving your mirrors?
chimp14uk18/12/2019 16:43

Maybe more than 1 person drives the car?
harlzter18/12/2019 16:48

And?
I'm 6ft and the wife is 5ft 4".
We never need to move the mirror on the outside.
Phsycronix18/12/2019 15:38

[Image] Socks: …[Image] Socks: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirror-Snow-Cover-Accessorie-Lightweight/dp/B019PDCWL2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1Or a cheaper alternative, if you don't mind funny looks:[Image] Oil/grease in the little motors starts to solidify in really low temp. Heck, we all start to do that in cold weather! Whatever you do, don't keep prolonging trying to operate as you can do damage - and some wing mirrors ain't cheap!

Lol, never seen those before. Doubt they'd be much use as the mirrors start to play up well before the temperature gets anywhere near freezing.
esar18/12/2019 15:42

Check the electrical connections onto the motors are tight, metal contacts …Check the electrical connections onto the motors are tight, metal contacts can shrink away from each other

Thanks, I'm a bit wary about dismantling the mirrors to get at them though, I'd be worried about wrecking them. I know a decent independent garage I can go to if there isn't a simple DIY fix.

tardytortoise18/12/2019 16:37

car age? warranty?

6 year old Citroen so no warranty

chimp14uk18/12/2019 16:43

harlzter18/12/2019 16:48

Exactly this.
Edited by: "spoo" 18th Dec 2019
Dont worry about the mirrors. Get the wife to stand on the passenger seat with her head stuck through the sunroof. She can tell you what's behind you in real time.
Edited by: "oliviasgrandad" 19th Dec 2019
chimp14uk18/12/2019 17:03

And?I'm 6ft and the wife is 5ft 4". We never need to move the mirror on …And?I'm 6ft and the wife is 5ft 4". We never need to move the mirror on the outside.

Are you a BMW or Audi driver then who just doesnt use mirrors? Seriously though one of you is not able to use the mirrors correctly and to full benefit of those around you.
harlzter18/12/2019 17:15

Are you a BMW or Audi driver then who just doesnt use mirrors? Are you a BMW or Audi driver then who just doesnt use mirrors? Seriously though one of you is not able to use the mirrors correctly and to full benefit of those around you.

Nope, not a problem.
We have a Toyota Yaris and both of us can use the outside mirrors without moving them.
Now, the inside mirror is different. Always have to adjust that.
chimp14uk18/12/2019 17:17

Nope, not a problem. We have a Toyota Yaris and both of us can use the …Nope, not a problem. We have a Toyota Yaris and both of us can use the outside mirrors without moving them.Now, the inside mirror is different. Always have to adjust that.

My outside mirrors are pretty much useless unless in the exact right position, the interior mirror however is great as its actually a camera monitor, that and the stereo/amp are the only luxury electrics - everything else is as basic as bread, keep fit windows, red hot in the summer cold in the winter, manual seat adjustments etc. I prefer it that way though, much easier to maintain and a hell of a lot cheaper.
What’s said above - I’d suggest it’s the metal in the contacts contracting in the cold and not having a decent connection. If you can get at them, maybe give them a clean and punch them back in, then crimp the connection gently for a better grip.
Try spraying a little furniture polish on the mechanism behind the mirror glass itself. You can access the mechanism by adjusting the mirror position fully to the side.

Put some down the window channels as well if you've got slow or sticky electric windows.

6 year old Citroen.

richp18/12/2019 17:49

Could be worse, it could be a Renault with their myriad of undiagnosable random electrical quirks.

And?I'm 6ft and the wife is 5ft 4". We never need to move the mirror on …And?I'm 6ft and the wife is 5ft 4". We never need to move the mirror on the outside.

hubby is a lot taller than me and he drives the car mainly. i only drive it now and then and i find that i can use the external and internal mirrors without adjustment but it is not the best angle for me. not a problem, just not the optimum angle for views.

i never bother changing the mirrors though as i find it is not necessary, but i can see why someone else would change the mirror if they drive the car more often and for long distances on busy roads.
This is rare but probably best advice you will get on lower temperature and lubrication of joints, car door lock, hinges etc...puff graphite power and see the magic happen. Didn't ever freeze on extreme cold, didn't gather dust and super smooth. Hope it helps you in some way

Maybe they park on a narrow street and want to try to keep their mirrors attached to the car?

Lol, never seen those before. Doubt they'd be much use as the mirrors …Lol, never seen those before. Doubt they'd be much use as the mirrors start to play up well before the temperature gets anywhere near freezing.Thanks, I'm a bit wary about dismantling the mirrors to get at them though, I'd be worried about wrecking them. I know a decent independent garage I can go to if there isn't a simple DIY fix.6 year old Citroen so no warrantyExactly this.

try a liberal squirt of WD40 in the appropriate places
Thanks for the responses everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions