Found 8th Jan 2011
Have seen a Fiat Stilo 2001 on ebay, and went to test drive today and seemed ok APART from a air bag warning light that is on, the dealer (private motor dealer) said this was common and he has mechanic has said it is just a sensor under the seat.

I am trading in my 2001 Matiz and the balance I would need to pay is £600 (Fiat stilo on ebay for £1400). The dealer seems genuine but I don't really know how to proceed. Air bag lights seems a big concern.

Any advice much appreciated,

thanks,

Sabrina

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
36 Comments

private motor dealer

No such thing, he is either a dealer or private seller, in which case you have zero comeback whatsoever, £1400 for a 9/10 year old motor seems high to me too.

A prrrrrr.

Take out the bulb, MOT failure otherwise

Could be that it just needs resetting, happened on my Vauxhall once

Original Poster

Surprisingly it passed the MOT today and the dealer said its not a MOT failure?

miriam51

Take out the bulb, MOT failure otherwiseCould be that it just needs … Take out the bulb, MOT failure otherwiseCould be that it just needs resetting, happened on my Vauxhall once

Dealer also said it does not bother him (he's been driving it arnd a month) and thats why it aint been repaired. Also he stated the whole seat base needs replacing as the sensors are under the seat.

Gosh no idea what to do! The guy is listed on ebay under I think his sons ebay account and has around 8 cars listed on BIN but no registered on ebay as a dealer

If you are unsure if the airbag is faulty then there is a simple test for this...

Give the front bumper a good solid kick, if the airbag inflates then its in full working order (or I should say was)

Does seem a common problem on stilos after looking at google, is it a 3 door?

One fix is here

Original Poster

It's a 5 door.

harlzter

Does seem a common problem on stilos after looking at google, is it a 3 … Does seem a common problem on stilos after looking at google, is it a 3 door?One fix is here

Original Poster

Yes does seem common on Google

harlzter

Does seem a common problem on stilos after looking at google, is it a 3 … Does seem a common problem on stilos after looking at google, is it a 3 door?One fix is here

Air bag lights seems a big concern.

Quite the opposite, there are plenty of motors out there that have issues with airbag sensors, usually not a problem as the airbag is obviously still fully functioning.

miriam51

Take out the bulb, MOT failure otherwiseCould be that it just needs … Take out the bulb, MOT failure otherwiseCould be that it just needs resetting, happened on my Vauxhall once

air bag isnt part of the mot test. OP my professional opinion would be, advise you to walk away from this vehicle, they are horrendous things.

Have a wander over to fiatforum for good advice from experienced Fiat owners.

Original Poster

I think the seat base was mentioned as apparently the air bag sensors are under the seat base?

whatsThePoint

Ignoring the airbag issue, I'd walk away because he's a cowboy dealer … Ignoring the airbag issue, I'd walk away because he's a cowboy dealer with a mechanic who doesn't know a basic fix for the mentioned fault and suggests changing the seat base oO

whatsThePoint

Ignoring the airbag issue, I'd walk away because he's a cowboy dealer … Ignoring the airbag issue, I'd walk away because he's a cowboy dealer with a mechanic who doesn't know a basic fix for the mentioned fault and suggests changing the seat base oO

Errm with the stilo you have to buy the whole seat base which includes the sensors, you cant just buy the sensors

whatsThePoint

its the connections that are dodgy not the sensors

How do you know? The common problem with the stilo is actually the OCS or Occupant Classification Sensor not the connections

whatsThePoint

its the connections that are dodgy not the sensorsStill waiting for how … its the connections that are dodgy not the sensorsStill waiting for how you test they are fully working?

diagnostic socket, allows you to hook up to the systems to interrogate & test.

whatsThePoint

its the connections that are dodgy not the sensorsStill waiting for how … its the connections that are dodgy not the sensorsStill waiting for how you test they are fully working?

Oh and in answer to your second question, any garage could do it. Its simpe diagnostics! Hook it up and check the SRS etc. That answer your question?

I had a megane wiith this problem and a quick rummage under the seat cleared it but if a 'mechanic' has not cleared it it means a money job for you at some time, leave it and wait for another....

Airbag aside, OP take my advise, I work with cars all day & these are crap, they are expensive money pits when they go wrong & they do go wrong, frequently, stick with your Matiz until you find something more suitable for your needs.The seller is getting the better deal with your vehicle & cash as well ! all your getting is a Fiat !!!
Edited by: "richp" 8th Jan 2011

whatsThePoint

If the sensors are faulty they could give out the wrong reading saying … If the sensors are faulty they could give out the wrong reading saying they are fine when they are in fact faulty

I wouldnt have thought so. Im sure they show as two different faults but I dont know so you may be right. I suppose only a garage would know for sure?

richp

Airbag aside, OP take my advise, I work with cars all day & these are … Airbag aside, OP take my advise, I work with cars all day & these are crap, they are expensive money pits when they go wrong & they do go wrong, frequently, stick with your Matiz until you find something more suitable for your needs.The seller is getting the better deal with your vehicle & cash as well ! all your getting is a Fiat !!!

Yes not a great car IMO, but in 2003 my mum bought one brand new anyway and while it's worth next to nothing now, costs a fortune to tax and drinks fuel like Aussie's drink lager it's not put a foot wrong. In that time its had two sets of front tyres, front discs and a set of pads all round and thats it.
Edited by: "GAVINLEWISHUKD" 8th Jan 2011

Fiat

Fix
It
Again
Tomorrow

Is the car still on ebay - if so, what is item no. I can do a quick vehicle check for you to ensure it has never been classed as an insurance write off (just in case the air-bag light fault was due to an accident). Please note that I cant say whether car has any remaining finance without paying for it but I can get the accident damage report for free for you - highly unlikely a car this age and at this price will have any finance outstanding anyway.

If you go ahead and buy a 10 year old Fiat Stilo you deserve all you get.

From Driver Power survey 2007:
"There are more compact family cars in the Driver Power top 100 than models from any other class, but Fiat's Stilo is bottom of the bunch. Even though it hasn't finished last in any one category, the car failed to get into the top 50 in any section. As with the firm's Punto, you tell us reliability is dismal, with an unacceptable 40 per cent of owners reporting electrical faults and nearly a quarter having engine trouble. Let's just hope the Stilo-replacing Bravo fares better when it goes on sale in July."

autoexpress.co.uk/car…tml

Original Poster

That would be appreciated - reg SM52VUN.

stuart9787

Is the car still on ebay - if so, what is item no. I can do a quick … Is the car still on ebay - if so, what is item no. I can do a quick vehicle check for you to ensure it has never been classed as an insurance write off (just in case the air-bag light fault was due to an accident). Please note that I cant say whether car has any remaining finance without paying for it but I can get the accident damage report for free for you - highly unlikely a car this age and at this price will have any finance outstanding anyway.

sabz786

52 plate started Sept 2002 so where does the 2001 come from? Have you got the listing number?

It is an old Fiat, you are just buying trouble, get something decent.

Original Poster

Sorry that was my mistake!

deek72

52 plate started Sept 2002 so where does the 2001 come from? Have you got … 52 plate started Sept 2002 so where does the 2001 come from? Have you got the listing number?

Edited by: "sabz786" 9th Jan 2011

This happened on my 97 registered fiat bravo. Apparently it is common on fiats. My mate is a mechanic and could find no way of fixing it, although he did say he was certain the air bag would still fire in the case of an accident. I believe him as he has no reason to lie to me. Suggestions on fiat forum at the time mainly seemed to be to either leave it or remove the led. Neither ideal.

sabz786

Sorry that was my mistake!

So it's a 2002 model? Anyway, it's irrelevant really. Enough people here have warned you off. It's your money. Good luck if you decide to buy it.

Original Poster

Have decided not to buy it - thanks for the advice everyone.

On a side note, when I had the sump changed on my Matiz by daewoo, the technican noted some evidence of metal contamination in the engine oil he removed, should this be of concern to me? I did ask the technican he said there is not really owt you can do?

deek72

So it's a 2002 model? Anyway, it's irrelevant really. Enough people here … So it's a 2002 model? Anyway, it's irrelevant really. Enough people here have warned you off. It's your money. Good luck if you decide to buy it.

sabz786

Have decided not to buy it - thanks for the advice everyone.On a side … Have decided not to buy it - thanks for the advice everyone.On a side note, when I had the sump changed on my Matiz by daewoo, the technican noted some evidence of metal contamination in the engine oil he removed, should this be of concern to me? I did ask the technican he said there is not really owt you can do?

Don't you know anyone, family or friends, that can help you look for a car? I'm not being funny or smart here, but when you have an interest in cars, as I and others here obviously have, then you just know when a car is likely to be a bad buy, and this car comes into that category.
Get help, £1500 is a fair amount of money. You CAN get a decent car for that.

On the metal contamination note, if it was the Daewoo tech that told you that then you can be pretty confident that he's telling you the truth. If there was anything wrong that could be fixed he would have told you, don't worry about that.:D

Original Poster

Prob is I dont really have that amount in cash and i would need to px the matiz. I was hoing the air fault may be a one off but the general advice about stilos i have here i think i will steer clear.

deek72

Don't you know anyone, family or friends, that can help you look for a … Don't you know anyone, family or friends, that can help you look for a car? I'm not being funny or smart here, but when you have an interest in cars, as I and others here obviously have, then you just know when a car is likely to be a bad buy, and this car comes into that category.Get help, £1500 is a fair amount of money. You CAN get a decent car for that.On the metal contamination note, if it was the Daewoo tech that told you that then you can be pretty confident that he's telling you the truth. If there was anything wrong that could be fixed he would have told you, don't worry about that.:D

sabz786

Looks like you have changed your mind about buying the car. I did a Vehicle Check for you anyway and all came back as clear - has never been classified as an Insurance Loss. Had a look at the car on ebay and as you rightly say, he has another 8 cars advertised on ebay but on checking his feedback he has no history of selling cars on ebay. Also, no mention in his ads that he buys and sells cars either Part-Time or Full-Time - I am always wary of this. I also Buy and Sell cars on ebay (not for a while mind you as finding it harder and harder to get good, honest cars at reasonable prices and be able to sell for a small margin) but I always state that this is my intention in the 'Me' section of ebay.
As others have pointed out, you could probably get a better car for your £1500. If you want any other Vehicle Checks carried out just let me know - obviously I can't abuse the system and do hundreds at a time but the odd one now again is not a problem.
Also, a good check you can do for yourself which is free is at direct.gov.uk/en/…539
As long as you know the Reg No and V5 Doc No or current Mot Ref No. you can get a full Mot history check on the car to see any potential problems or if there is discrepancy with mileage etc.

Banned

deek72

If you go ahead and buy a 10 year old Fiat Stilo you deserve all you … If you go ahead and buy a 10 year old Fiat Stilo you deserve all you get.From Driver Power survey 2007:"There are more compact family cars in the Driver Power top 100 than models from any other class, but Fiat’'s Stilo is bottom of the bunch. Even though it hasn’'t finished last in any one category, the car failed to get into the top 50 in any section. As with the firm’'s Punto, you tell us reliability is dismal, with an unacceptable 40 per cent of owners reporting electrical faults and nearly a quarter having engine trouble. Let’'s just hope the Stilo-replacing Bravo fares better when it goes on sale in July."http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2007/207813/fiat_stilo.html

+1

Fiats are bad enough and the Stilo is the worst of the lot! £1400 for a 10 year old fiat is a complete joke,

Original Poster

Thanks very much, great advice

stuart9787

Looks like you have changed your mind about buying the car. I did a … Looks like you have changed your mind about buying the car. I did a Vehicle Check for you anyway and all came back as clear - has never been classified as an Insurance Loss. Had a look at the car on ebay and as you rightly say, he has another 8 cars advertised on ebay but on checking his feedback he has no history of selling cars on ebay. Also, no mention in his ads that he buys and sells cars either Part-Time or Full-Time - I am always wary of this. I also Buy and Sell cars on ebay (not for a while mind you as finding it harder and harder to get good, honest cars at reasonable prices and be able to sell for a small margin) but I always state that this is my intention in the 'Me' section of ebay. As others have pointed out, you could probably get a better car for your £1500. If you want any other Vehicle Checks carried out just let me know - obviously I can't abuse the system and do hundreds at a time but the odd one now again is not a problem.Also, a good check you can do for yourself which is free is at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10020539As long as you know the Reg No and V5 Doc No or current Mot Ref No. you can get a full Mot history check on the car to see any potential problems or if there is discrepancy with mileage etc.

csiman

+1Fiats are bad enough and the Stilo is the worst of the lot! £1400 for a … +1Fiats are bad enough and the Stilo is the worst of the lot! £1400 for a 10 year old fiat is a complete joke,

Seeing as you're full of advice, what do you drive then csiman ??
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3285
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226646
    3. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4176
    4. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251
    5. word association Game74244916

See more discussions