Car rental in Switzerland

Posted 23rd Oct
Hi Guys

I am planning to rent a car for 5 days, pick up and drop off at Zurich airport.
Any advice: should I book from here, my preference or book when I Get the airport.

I expect charges to be steep at the airport however I want to ensure I get the excess waiver and get super cover.

Any advice of one of you has done this.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Always book in advance. I wouldn’t recommend paying the rental company for extras, yet yourself excess insurance and you’ll likely save a lot of money.
one more question can I book here using credit card and use debit card to collect car as I don't remember the pin for credit card unfortunately
rambobambo23/10/2019 20:18

one more question can I book here using credit card and use debit card to …one more question can I book here using credit card and use debit card to collect car as I don't remember the pin for credit card unfortunately

I would get your credit card pin as they take a £500 deposit on most rentals.
If you have any issues, fighting them is easier when you have used a credit card.
On debit card your at the rental company’s mercy
Try autoeurope as you can pay everything up front including the insurance.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 23rd Oct
bigwheels23/10/2019 20:23

I would get your credit card pin as they take a £500 deposit on most …I would get your credit card pin as they take a £500 deposit on most rentals.If you have any issues, fighting them is easier when you have used a credit card.On debit card your at the rental company’s mercy

If you have your own excess insurance they usually insist on a CREDIT card and take 1500 - 2000 deposit. (Held as pending on the card but must be available)

Try Ryanair car hire (Cartrawler). You can cancel or amend for free until very close to the pick-up.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 23rd Oct
joyf453623/10/2019 20:44

If you have your own excess insurance they usually insist on a CREDIT card …If you have your own excess insurance they usually insist on a CREDIT card and take 1500 - 2000 deposit. (Held as pending on the card but must be available)

with pin or without. thanks.
rambobambo23/10/2019 20:46

with pin or without. thanks.

Example

Dear XXX

We noticed you booked your car hire using a debit card.

Please note that this XXXXXX rental location has distinct local policies for debit card use. This location requires a credit card in the lead driver’s name to pick up your car, and you must bring it with you to the pickup location. The location may not release your rental car without it.

SO YOU CAN BOOK AND PAY FOR IT WITH A FEE FREE CARD BUT YOU WILL NEED A CREDIT CARD FOR THE DEPOSIT ON PICK-UP USUALLY.

NO IDP needed at present but this MAY be because at the moment we are EU members. Check this if the trip is after 31st Oct or whenever!!!!

Don't forget to get the car hire code from DVLA to go with your driving licence and obviously take your driving licence.
Worth reading this

zuerich.com/en/…and

PS. don't forget to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. They do and it is only polite to do the same.
And don't speed. In Switzerland, if you get a fine, the police force you to pay on the spot. If you don't have cash, they take you to an ATM. And if you have forgotten your PIN....
joyf453623/10/2019 20:56

Not much use in Europe without.

It does not look like my pin would arrive in time for my travel. I am trying to see if I can book from here using credit card and take the card with me over there.
rambobambo23/10/2019 21:28

It does not look like my pin would arrive in time for my travel. I am …It does not look like my pin would arrive in time for my travel. I am trying to see if I can book from here using credit card and take the card with me over there.

I hire cars out of the UK quite often and I always have to authorise the deposit, usually (and always in Europe) with my PIN.
I do have my own excess insurance. If you (can afford to) take their rip-off insurance when booking maybe there is a way around.
I seem to have found that with Sixt I may be able to rent with excess waiver at 10 pounds each day, 50 in total. Also they accept debit cards.

Do you mind if I ask where did you purchase excess insurance from and for how much.

thanks
rambobambo23/10/2019 21:46

I seem to have found that with Sixt I may be able to rent with excess …I seem to have found that with Sixt I may be able to rent with excess waiver at 10 pounds each day, 50 in total. Also they accept debit cards. Do you mind if I ask where did you purchase excess insurance from and for how much.thanks

Go through TCB and it's £40 with £10 cashback, so £30 for the year in Europe. T&C apply. insurance4carhire (AIG)
Avis was excellent. Best car hire experience I’ve ever had. No queues and only took 5 minutes at the counter. Prices were very reasonable too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants