Car roof racks and boxes

Found 15th Jun
Hi all, im going to need a roof box and rails for my bmw x3 2011. The car comes with manufacturer fitted flush rails on the roof.

Ive tried inputting my registration on a few websites and its comes up with quite a bit of kit it says i need. The price is coming up over £250 just for a rack without a box. Is that right? Is there any other decent brands apart from thule. I was expecting to pay a couple of hundred pounds max for everything. Now its looking like over £500

It seems to be a bit of a minefield of information out there. Is there a decent universal fit kit for roof rails and how can you tell what boxes they are compatable with

Thanks in advance ppl
Community Updates
AskHome & Garden
6 Comments
try ebay... used or pattern parts plus worst case you can get cheap canvas bags for the roof rather then a box, much cheaper depends on how often you intend to use it, Also has the advantage of not taking up masses of storage space when not in use.
Much depends on your approach to brand names

If you have flush rails, these aldi.co.uk/aut…000 will do the job in all probability for £30. I have a pair which I had to buy in an emergency when mine were back at home. They do an excellent job. My Thule bars fit better and the brand snob in me prefers to use them but there is a hell of a price difference. You might want a pair while you wait for stuff on ebay.

Find out the part numbers you need and set an eScam search running. You will get what you are after at some point. Do a search on 'sold' and you will find out how often they come up.

roofbox.co.uk is a great site and has a variety of brands plus returns. If nothing else, it gives you the kit list to search ofr on eScam and gumtree
my roofbox came from dorridgeauto.co.uk/

Have you tried pfjones.co.uk/man…tml who usually have some bargain seconds (buy them. Yours will look like seconds after a week on the car)
ccnp1 h, 20 m ago

Much depends on your approach to brand namesIf you have flush rails, these …Much depends on your approach to brand namesIf you have flush rails, these https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-roof-bar-set/p/084289211566000 will do the job in all probability for £30. I have a pair which I had to buy in an emergency when mine were back at home. They do an excellent job. My Thule bars fit better and the brand snob in me prefers to use them but there is a hell of a price difference. You might want a pair while you wait for stuff on ebay.Find out the part numbers you need and set an eScam search running. You will get what you are after at some point. Do a search on 'sold' and you will find out how often they come up.www.roofbox.co.uk is a great site and has a variety of brands plus returns. If nothing else, it gives you the kit list to search ofr on eScam and gumtree

Whats an escam search ??
del.tay3 h, 11 m ago

Whats an escam search ??

Escam = slang for eBay

eBay has had a notable increase in scammers, both scam sellers and scam buyers.
Search on gumtree and Facebook Marketplace.

I paid £25 for the bars off facebook, they had the wrong fitting kit but got some from Halfords for £25 so £50 in total for what would have cost me £190ish brand new.

also managed to get 2 cycle carriers for a total of £15 from facebook marketplace. Not sure what brand but the fit on the bars and hold the bikes secure so i pleased with them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants