Car salesman?

Found 21st Mar 2015
Hi guys.
I was wondering if any of you guys were in the car sales job.
Im thinking about persuing this career and had a few questions.
things like
How many hours you have to work?
Whats a realistic number of sales per week?
Whats the average money take home?
Whats the difference between say a BMW dealer ship and a 2nd hand car giant supermarket?

Thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
9 Comments
I would say, being an Audi driver, you should expect a comment along the lines of '...the main difference between a BMW dealership and a car giant is that you get a lot more more ***** in a BMW dealership'.
Banned
Lots - 6 days plus late nights at least

Varies from dealer to dealer, franchise to franchise. Volume dealers will look for 5-7 a week at least

Again varies from location to location. Basic will be £8-12k and you could earn £30-35k. It'snot what it used to be in terms of earnings.

Whats the difference between say a BMW dealer ship and a 2nd hand car giant supermarket?
In what way? Targets? Potential earnings? Many monkeys working in a supermarket wouldn't get near a prestige dealer

Banned
If you have a family, consider something else. If you plan on getting a mortgage, consider something else.
If you want to actually have a life outside of work, better pursuing something different.
I used to be in car sales for 9 years, worked for one of the largest retailers in the UK.

Car sales is a very cut-throat workplace and its not for everyone. Ive seen countless newbies to the trade come and go thinking theyll make good money. Truth is most cant cope with the hours and work environment.

On average at least 60 per week. And dont look for o/t pay, its why you get a basic SALARY. Youll be expected to work late at least 2 evenings a week, work EVERY saturday and sunday, and be prepared to accommodate customers who want to come in at 8pm on your day off/early finish day to collect their car.

On a good month 20-25 units
Bad month 15-20
December youde be lucky to sell 12 units.

I was earning on average £3k per month, basic salary+commission+target bonus.

My dealership was multi franchise new and used cars, I would never sell at a bmw/audi/mercedes/premium franchise, simply because too many test pilots/dreamers or time wasters coming there.

Like I said its not a job for everyone, you can make good money without needing any special qualifications.

If you have any other questions let me know!
Banned
They work long hours. But it's not exactly hard graft same at desk all day and making cups of coffee for customers.
I would think you need driving ambition for that job it's probably not as easy as it appears on the surface and some dealerships are results driven which means targets to fill the best advice is probably from katchiib above who has experienced the environment
Programme on bbc2 the other day about car salesmen. Have a watch might shed some light on the job.

trade off
Original Poster
Thanks guys. really helpful
Just gotta way up the good Vs bad. The hours and targets are nothing new to me but managed to get away from alot of working presure in the last few years.
Do i wanna go back. hmmmmm lol

Thats poppy. Will give that a watch
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions