Car Sat Nav upgrade

Edited by:"Stormtrooper"Found 2nd Sep 2017
The UK and Ireland SatNav maps in my car (Vauxhall Insignia) are approx 3 years old.
As I am planning a car trip abroad I would like to update the maps and also upgrade to full European.
I have been told that Vauxhall want £150 for doing this which I feel is excessive.
Anyone know if there are cheaper companies out there that can do the upgrade or does it have to be done by Vauxhall?
Thanks in advance for your advice,

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments

I think there are some sites that might sell it for around £80-120, but it is still very excessive. Everyone I know has simply ignored their satnav and started using a phone nowadays.

Seat are the same, want about £100 + £25 for the sd card!!!! Not a chance, either use the phone or pick up a cheapy sat nav with lifetime maps. I don't know how car companies get away with it, selling you an expensive option and then expecting you to pay for it to be updated time and time again. Surely this should be factored into the price at the off.

My neighbour paid £700 for citroen sat nav. No postcode search either. I thought he was mad paying it.. Thread here talking about it. Folks pay it though so can't blame them selling it at stupid money. Just buy a tomtom or similar. citroen-owners-club.co.uk/cit…av/

I bought latest map SD card for my Vauxhall Zafira Tourer. Navi 600 ( converted to Navi 900 ). Cost about £35 on eBay. Plug and play.

On a side note:
If you're driving through France, be careful with Satnavs, especially if it shows speed camera alerts. .
theaa.com/eur…nce

Also, apparently you need to carry a breathalyser! Never knew that. Plus if you're going into a "Low emission zone" you have to have a sticker on your car.

Original Poster

MIDURIX20 h, 26 m ago

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=152646371239&category=139837&pm=1&ds=0&t=1504100468000&ver=0&cspheader=1What year is the Insignia. Is it the 600 or 900. Is it a SD card?

Thanks for your responses so far.
It's a Sept 2014 (64 plate) Insignia with the Navi 900 system.
There doesn't appear to be any visible SD slot.
I don't know about these things but I'm presuming the Vauxhall service team would attach a laptop to the car and download the upgrade that way.
I'd of thought a charge of,say, £50 would be more than enough to pay.

Stormtrooper1 h, 35 m ago

Thanks for your responses so far.It's a Sept 2014 (64 plate) Insignia with …Thanks for your responses so far.It's a Sept 2014 (64 plate) Insignia with the Navi 900 system. There doesn't appear to be any visible SD slot.I don't know about these things but I'm presuming the Vauxhall service team would attach a laptop to the car and download the upgrade that way. I'd of thought a charge of,say, £50 would be more than enough to pay.

Under the armrest? Should be where you insert USB and aux input
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 3rd Sep 2017

Original Poster

MIDURIX19 h, 50 m ago

Under the armrest? Should be where you insert USB and aux input

Thanks Midurix, I have found the sim card slot now next to the USB port, I didn't even know it was there!
The sim cards are available on ebay for £30 - £35
Has anyone any experience of installing one? Do you just insert the sim and it will automatically install the upgrade?

Stormtrooper22 m ago

Thanks Midurix, I have found the sim card slot now next to the USB port, I …Thanks Midurix, I have found the sim card slot now next to the USB port, I didn't even know it was there!The sim cards are available on ebay for £30 - £35 Has anyone any experience of installing one? Do you just insert the sim and it will automatically install the upgrade?

I would ask the seller on eBay. It's an SD card slots (like a camera memory card) not a SIM card by the way.

Original Poster

MIDURIX3 h, 53 m ago

I would ask the seller on eBay. It's an SD card slots (like a camera …I would ask the seller on eBay. It's an SD card slots (like a camera memory card) not a SIM card by the way.

Sorry, meant to say SD card (not sim card)

Stormtrooper5 h, 31 m ago

Sorry, meant to say SD card (not sim card)

You just slot it in, follow any on screen instructions.

Original Poster

The seller has stated that the SD card in not suitable for my car.
Looks like the only option is to pay Vauxhall the £150

If you have got the Navi 900 the SD card will 100% work.

I've got Navi 900 in mine.

Which SD map card is currently installed?.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 5th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions