Car service - Dealer or local garage??

Found 3rd Aug 2017
Hi all,

I have a 2012 Hyundai i30. I bought this car a year back. Previous owner had serviced the car regularly with the Hyundai main dealer. I have done the service last year with them too. They were really extensive.
I'm due for a service in September. So wanted to know should I service again with the dealer or can do in any other garages??
Also Hyundai offers 5 years warranty and this is the last year. So if I don't service with them is the warranty voided?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments
Local. Warranty isnt voided as long as they use approved parts. To save any hassle i usually use genuine parts for servicing under warranty but its not actually a requirement
If it's a 2012 when does the warranty actually end as if it's soon it won't make much difference and you may as well go for the local option.
Original Poster
Skaman14 m ago

If it's a 2012 when does the warranty actually end as if it's soon it …If it's a 2012 when does the warranty actually end as if it's soon it won't make much difference and you may as well go for the local option.

Warranty ends Sept next year. Thanks
Normal rules for ensuring warranty is kept up :- Servicing carried out by VAT registered garage using manufacturer approved parts/oils. (a stamp in the book helps maintain value but if not keep receipt )..

A bit confused about when your warranty ends , 2012 registered car + 5year warranty = 2017 surely ?
Original Poster
rogparki7 m ago

Normal rules for ensuring warranty is kept up :- Servicing carried out by …Normal rules for ensuring warranty is kept up :- Servicing carried out by VAT registered garage using manufacturer approved parts/oils. (a stamp in the book helps maintain value but if not keep receipt ).. A bit confused about when your warranty ends , 2012 registered car + 5year warranty = 2017 surely ?

Thanks. Anyways to find those approved garages??
Also Won't it be like Sept to Sept? Or is it just the year irrespective of which month you buy ?
Doesn't need to be "approved" just VAT registered (that means any legit garage , or "Servicing Stop" ) . If your registration date (shown on your V5 ) is say 12 September 2012 - then warranty runs out on 11 Sep 2017 .

Servicing Stop is an online booking system for servicing ( by a local garage ) , book online they collect ,service it,return it - a lot cheaper than a franchised dealer . Never used it myself but worth checking out servicingstop.co.uk/?gc…BQw . Mixed reviews on here but so do most garages ,Kwik Fit , Halfords autocentres etc
Edited by: "rogparki" 3rd Aug 2017
vassy121 m ago

Thanks. Anyways to find those approved garages?? Also Won't it be like …Thanks. Anyways to find those approved garages?? Also Won't it be like Sept to Sept? Or is it just the year irrespective of which month you buy ?

Even main dealers use OEM service parts that are available from local shops such as euro car parts/ gsf etc.

anyway to find a good garage near you check out goodgaragescheme.com

when my car was new I used to fork out for dealer servicing (large ford dealer in Aberdeen operated by Arnold Clark (sigh) ) ...I decided to give a local a try found on the website I posted and they showed me the air filter had never been changed LOL.
my husband always got his car serviced at the dealer garage but he decided to go local and it did not work out. they found faults that were suspect and they broke the car when they fixed the fault. we won't be going local again but that is our experience. if you go local, make sure you go to a garage that you know is reliable from recommendation as they can be very dishonest.
Original Poster
rogparki19 m ago

Doesn't need to be "approved" just VAT registered (that means any legit …Doesn't need to be "approved" just VAT registered (that means any legit garage , or "Servicing Stop" ) . If your registration date (shown on your V5 ) is say 12 September 2012 - then warranty runs out on 11 Sep 2017 .Servicing Stop is an online booking system for servicing ( by a local garage ) , book online they collect ,service it,return it - a lot cheaper than a franchised dealer . Never used it myself but worth checking out http://www.servicingstop.co.uk/?gclid=CPv6usrhutUCFe2w7QodCcABQw . Mixed reviews on here but so do most garages ,Kwik Fit , Halfords autocentres etc

Thanks much appreciated
vassy141 m ago

Thanks. Anyways to find those approved garages?? Also Won't it be like …Thanks. Anyways to find those approved garages?? Also Won't it be like Sept to Sept? Or is it just the year irrespective of which month you buy ?

If the car was bought new Sept 12 then warranty would end Sept 17, that's why I was making the point about it not making much difference as we are in August 17 now.
As long as the car is still under warranty I use the main dealer, simply so that they can deal with any warranty claim items at the same time as servicing less hassle, Always have my car serviced and Mot at the same time . Outside of warranty depend on the prices some time dealerships offer deals on servicing and I notice just like Ford, Hyundai offer free a years Free AA breakdown cover with a service, which is a plus
The five year warranty on my 2012 i30 diesel was up in April this year. Had been having the car serviced annually by another main dealer (not Hyundai) up until this point. Just before the mot was due I had a problem with one of the car keys and decided to take it to local Hyundai main dealer. I enquired about their servicing costs and was told that the servicing intervals for the car were 24 months or 20,000 miles, so the next service wasn't due until 2018. However, the car was due a free annual healthcare check and a safety check on the drive shaft which they did while I was there. Took the car back a week later and it passed its MOT with flying colours.
Original Poster
BHOY568 h, 29 m ago

The five year warranty on my 2012 i30 diesel was up in April this year. …The five year warranty on my 2012 i30 diesel was up in April this year. Had been having the car serviced annually by another main dealer (not Hyundai) up until this point. Just before the mot was due I had a problem with one of the car keys and decided to take it to local Hyundai main dealer. I enquired about their servicing costs and was told that the servicing intervals for the car were 24 months or 20,000 miles, so the next service wasn't due until 2018. However, the car was due a free annual healthcare check and a safety check on the drive shaft which they did while I was there. Took the car back a week later and it passed its MOT with flying colours.

Hey thanks for the comment. Where did you get your car serviced if not from Hyundai?? Thanks
vassy113 h, 0 m ago

Hey thanks for the comment. Where did you get your car serviced if not …Hey thanks for the comment. Where did you get your car serviced if not from Hyundai?? Thanks

Hi, the car was six months old when I bought it from an Arnold Clark Motorstore. The deal included their own 2 year service plan, but they didn't have any Hyundai branches locally so I took it to their Toyota dealership instead. I then took out another 2 year plan when it expired, as it worked out a lot cheaper than paying for individual services. I'm hoping to get the same kinda deal later this year when I hope to purchase the new i30.
Original Poster
BHOY5651 m ago

Hi, the car was six months old when I bought it from an Arnold Clark …Hi, the car was six months old when I bought it from an Arnold Clark Motorstore. The deal included their own 2 year service plan, but they didn't have any Hyundai branches locally so I took it to their Toyota dealership instead. I then took out another 2 year plan when it expired, as it worked out a lot cheaper than paying for individual services. I'm hoping to get the same kinda deal later this year when I hope to purchase the new i30.

Thanks a lot.. I will check online and also see if Hyundai do some service offers.
vassy113 m ago

Thanks a lot.. I will check online and also see if Hyundai do some …Thanks a lot.. I will check online and also see if Hyundai do some service offers.

Have to say, I was really impressed with the customer experience when I was at the Hyundai dealership, hope you have the same.
BHOY563rd Aug

The five year warranty on my 2012 i30 diesel was up in April this year. …The five year warranty on my 2012 i30 diesel was up in April this year. Had been having the car serviced annually by another main dealer (not Hyundai) up until this point. Just before the mot was due I had a problem with one of the car keys and decided to take it to local Hyundai main dealer. I enquired about their servicing costs and was told that the servicing intervals for the car were 24 months or 20,000 miles, so the next service wasn't due until 2018. However, the car was due a free annual healthcare check and a safety check on the drive shaft which they did while I was there. Took the car back a week later and it passed its MOT with flying colours.

safety check on the drive shaft

lol - SUCKER!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants