Car slows down on a hill

Found 27th Oct 2017Edited by:"KhanAK_"
When we are driving and the accelerater is all the way down it still loses power
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Unless I'm missing something here, all cars slow down when going up hill, unless you have cruise control fitted.
I have the same problem walking up hill
Fuel filter?
Op Joined hukd to post this?
Depends on the gradient of the hill, engine, weight and even things like weather and tire pressure.

General advice would be drop down a gear and/or increase the accelerator.
this has got to be one of the most random, detail lacking questions ever
32323338-jAkfM.jpg
shadey122 h, 32 m ago

Op Joined hukd to post this?

you have to start somewhere right?
Go to a damn garage, are you expecting some miracle " push this button" type miracle from some random of the Internet. Jeez.
I have a certain sympathy, I once told my car mechanic that I had a noise a bit like an elephant coming from my car, can't remember what the heck it turned out to be , but he fixed it for me
all the jokes and sarcy comments aside, i think the OP is not describing the issue very well. i think he means that the car struggle to gain speed uphill even if he smashes the pedal and go full pelt.

we had this problem on our car and 2 years ago. i had the accelerator fully depressed so it could not go any further and yet the car was not picking up speed but slowed down so much it virtually crawls up the hill while other cars were driving past. my husband had to pay a lot of money to get it fixed but i have no idea what was fixed, i just know it was expensive.
Paint some go faster stripes on it.
Tint your windows.
Play annoying music at full volume.
Fit a larger noisy exhaust pipe.
When I’m driving on the motorway and the pedal is all the way down it loses power.
Assume turbo diesel?. If you cycle the ignition does it return to normal until you put a load on the engine?. That means it's probably going into limp mode.

On my old car the variable vanes on the turbo used to sieze so when it needed a boost I,e hard acceleration or driving uphill it would go in limp mode. It never triggered the engine warning light but would leave a fault that could only be read with dealer level diagnostics machines.

I solved mine by cleaning the turbo with mrmuscle, that freed the vanes and it worked as it should :).

Of course could be something totally different, is egr valve stuck open?. Any black smoke when the problem accures?.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 h, 57 m ago

Paint some go faster stripes on it.Tint your windows.Play annoying music …Paint some go faster stripes on it.Tint your windows.Play annoying music at full volume.Fit a larger noisy exhaust pipe.

Don't forget to fold the back seats down as well
tinkerbellian6 h, 21 m ago

I have a certain sympathy, I once told my car mechanic that I had a noise …I have a certain sympathy, I once told my car mechanic that I had a noise a bit like an elephant coming from my car, can't remember what the heck it turned out to be , but he fixed it for me

Was it something in the trunk?
My Freelander td4 had this problem . The cause was a hose had become porous letting boost escape when under load. . In the image provided it is the one my mouse is stopped on.

Anyway......... back to shopping
32325106-txYFQ.jpg
KhanAK_-1105018321745699711 h, 41 m ago

When I’m driving on the motorway and the pedal is all the way down it l …When I’m driving on the motorway and the pedal is all the way down it loses power.

Try pushing the outer pedal, on the right?

Seriously though, if it starts ok without any 'lumpiness' It's likely to be an engine management issue. Get someone to put a diagnostic on it. Cost you about £50 at a garage, or buy a diy kit for about £10, and download an app to smartphone. Do it yourself then.
This won't resolve it, but it will tell you what it is.
Edited by: "mrty" 28th Oct 2017
mrty1 h, 13 m ago

Try pushing the outer pedal, on the right?Seriously though, if it starts …Try pushing the outer pedal, on the right?Seriously though, if it starts ok without any 'lumpiness' It's likely to be an engine management issue. Get someone to put a diagnostic on it. Cost you about £50 at a garage, or buy a diy kit for about £10, and download an app to smartphone. Do it yourself then.This won't resolve it, but it will tell you what it is.

Some codes you need dealer level diagnostics, especially turbo faults. Mine didn't show up on a cheap scanner. However it shows up via vagcom/vcds. Overboost problem on mine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants