Groups

Car smoke ban 'to start in October' WHY NOT TODAY?

Well if you're a parent and smoke in the confined space of a car then not only are you a scum bag, your suitability as a parent needs to be seriously called into question. If you want to kill somebody then please feel free but your children?

SCUM!

bbc.co.uk/new…439

133 Comments

Its should also be enforced in the home aswell, parents should NOT be allowed to smoke inside their own home if they have a child. truthfully though I see people inside their car in car parks all of the time smoking with kids in the back.

Plus outside schools etc etc, but tbh is it going to be enforced like driving while using a mobile phone cos that's really worked wonders.

Yes, about bloody time... Seriously... How backwards have we been to allow this for so many years? No smoking in pubs or work places, but you can poison your 6 month old child until your heart is content !

My 80 a day Dad is going to be riled with this new ruling, sat in the front seat gagging for a smoke ! I may just take up smoking to

pee him off..... is it still enforceable when the child is 34 ?

Wish it had been in place when I was a kid. I remember so many miserable journeys with my parents smoking like chimneys!

Why not just ban smoking in cars?
    Easier to enforce as no need to peer in to see if there is a child or not.

I'd rather some idiot was driving with a phone than if they were to drop a lit fag on their balls and drive into me like a scalded cat.

What about if we smoke hands free?

john2020md

What about if we smoke hands free?

Easy to do and you can make a call at the same time, just get the kid in the front seat to steer, it's easy after a few goes but you need a fag and a phone handy because of all the near misses, phew.

or.......I know.....we could just all stop breathing and enter Uto....Dystopia....
    Edited by: "Likely2" 17th Dec 2014

This is a positive move which I wish was enforced when I was a child.

Next, I would like to see parents prosecuted for overfeeding their children.
    Edited by: "RossD89" 17th Dec 2014

what about the non smoking parents who submit their obese childeren to a lifetime of crap food and drug addicts conceiving every day unable to support or raise a child. what about the car owners that make chikdren breath their fumes?

RossD89

This is a positive move which I wish was enforced when I was a … This is a positive move which I wish was enforced when I was a child.Next, I would like to see parents prosecuted for overfeeding their children.

Watched my son's Xmas play today and I was shocked how many fat 5 and 6 year olds there was..

We never EVER smoke in out home or car. I remember getting in a big argument in the summer at a friends BBQ. Some idiot thought it was ok to light up next to my baby in his pram. His arguement was that were outdoors. I don't care,MOVE Never ever smoke around children it's disgusting

On the other hand. My dad disagrees and completely thinks it's acceptable to light up whilst walking out of my house. He doesn't think it does any harm. Makes me mad!!!

elliott1982

what about the non smoking parents who submit their obese childeren to a … what about the non smoking parents who submit their obese childeren to a lifetime of crap food and drug addicts conceiving every day unable to support or raise a child. what about the car owners that make chikdren breath their fumes?

Your first point: I agree that parents should be taken to task for overfeeding their children and/or feeding them crap.

Your second point: There is no way to police conception however, many children are taken away from parents who have drug problems

Your final point: Unless you and the rest of the world consent to reverting back to pre industrialisation then cars will still be in existance.

Edited by: "RossD89" 17th Dec 2014

Surprised to see so many supporting/welcoming nanny state policies

Edit - not condoning smoking around children

Edited by: "abch4" 18th Dec 2014

Banned

How will this be enforced?

I don't see a reduction in using mobile phones in the car, hard for me to see the police taking this seriously.

Banned

RossD89

This is a positive move which I wish was enforced when I was a … This is a positive move which I wish was enforced when I was a child.Next, I would like to see parents prosecuted for overfeeding their children.

I would like to see parents prosecuted for calling children any of the following names,

Tamesha
    Tajeka
    Brandi
    Diamond
    India
    Harmony
    Heaven
    Miracle
    Peaches

I could go on and on and on.........

Banned

I would also prosecute any parent that brought their children up in a town or city that they knowingly knew did not meet EU standards on air quality.

dailymail.co.uk/wir…tml

toshapetriji

I would like to see parents prosecuted for calling children any of the … I would like to see parents prosecuted for calling children any of the following names,TameshaTajekaBrandiDiamondIndiaHarmony HeavenMiraclePeachesI could go on and on and on.........

Aren't they all the names of Bob Geldofs kids??

vote +1 haha

toshapetriji

How will this be enforced?I don't see a reduction in using mobile phones … How will this be enforced?I don't see a reduction in using mobile phones in the car, hard for me to see the police taking this seriously.

Government don't care how its enforced as long as the quota of compulsory fine targets is reached as that's all they car about not the children.

toshapetriji

I would like to see parents prosecuted for calling children any of the … I would like to see parents prosecuted for calling children any of the following names,TameshaTajekaBrandiDiamondIndiaHarmony HeavenMiraclePeachesI could go on and on and on.........

Charmaine, eww

LindaC15

Wish it had been in place when I was a kid. I remember so many miserable … Wish it had been in place when I was a kid. I remember so many miserable journeys with my parents smoking like chimneys!

Oh me too! All the way from Newcastle to the south of France with my mother puffing away and refusing to let us open a window in case she got cold

Jarreth68

Oh me too! All the way from Newcastle to the south of France with my … Oh me too! All the way from Newcastle to the south of France with my mother puffing away and refusing to let us open a window in case she got cold

OMG That's disgusting, I feel very sorry for you

Really Newcastle X)

Cigarettes will be banned completely one day. This is a step towards that day.

Hopefully ban on diesels soon

I hope you can still smoke if you're alone in your car

Totally agree it shouldn't be allowed when travelling with others as there is always a chance to stop every hour or so when your craving kicks in.

Banned

I feel 'nanny state' laws are more than acceptable when they are designed to protect children. It's the ones that try to protect adults that many find insulting.

About time with this. Took long enough, eh?

Let's take this a bit further and have a zero alcohol level for drivers.
    The only reason this hasn't happened is due to the tax on alcohol, the government would lose too much money.

Not many people get killed by smoking drivers.
    Edited by: "Sambat" 18th Dec 2014

Jarreth68

Oh me too! All the way from Newcastle to the south of France with my … Oh me too! All the way from Newcastle to the south of France with my mother puffing away and refusing to let us open a window in case she got cold

Ah what a nightmare! Our furthest was Northumberland to Hertfordshire and that was bad enough!

Sambat

Let's take this a bit further and have a zero alcohol level for … Let's take this a bit further and have a zero alcohol level for drivers.The only reason this hasn't happened is due to the tax on alcohol, the government would lose too much money.Not many people get killed by smoking drivers.

I agree. I think we should go the same as Scotland. The levels are so low that they allow for the likes of mouthwash or sherry trifle, but even one drink puts you over the limit. I'd back that...

toshapetriji

I know someone who called their first 2 girls Harmony and Melody, I find it cringeworthy myself, can you imagine calling them in for tea?
    Edited by: "harlzter" 18th Dec 2014

OP says "Well if you're a parent and smoke in the confined space of a car then not only are you a scum bag, your suitability as a parent needs to be seriously called into question. If you want to kill somebody then please feel free but your children?"

There are a number of posts in this thread from people whos parents smoked whilst they where children, they are all alive, fit and well. So what makes you think smoking in a car will kill your child, how many children actually die each year from smoke inhaled in a car?

OP says "SCUM!"

Flip side... Its the people in this country who keep fit and eat healthly that are the real scum, they are the people who are living till they are 100+ and creating a pensions crisis, it they who are living to 100+ and creating a NHS crisis. A recent survey showed the amount of life gained by keeping fit is exactly the amount of time wasted keeping fit.
    Smokers on the other hand contribute a lot to the coffers via duty, they are happy, get ill, then die early.

You think all this should be banned, my next door neighbours daughter who is 13 years old smokes on their door step. Obviously her mother and father do not care.

Lets firstly stop kids smoking then focus on adults in cars!.

123thisisme

OP says "Well if you're a parent and smoke in the confined space of a car … OP says "Well if you're a parent and smoke in the confined space of a car then not only are you a scum bag, your suitability as a parent needs to be seriously called into question. If you want to kill somebody then please feel free but your children?"There are a number of posts in this thread from people whos parents smoked whilst they where children, they are all alive, fit and well. So what makes you think smoking in a car will kill your child, how many children actually die each year from smoke inhaled in a car?OP says "SCUM!"Flip side... Its the people in this country who keep fit and eat healthly that are the real scum, they are the people who are living till they are 100+ and creating a pensions crisis, it they who are living to 100+ and creating a NHS crisis. A recent survey showed the amount of life gained by keeping fit is exactly the amount of time wasted keeping fit.Smokers on the other hand contribute a lot to the coffers via duty, they are happy, get ill, then die early.

I am putting that one in my pocket for a later date.

Banned

This would start infringing on your rights and freedom.
    What you can and cannot do in your property should be your own business; can a car be considered property?

Sambat

Let's take this a bit further and have a zero alcohol level for … Let's take this a bit further and have a zero alcohol level for drivers.The only reason this hasn't happened is due to the tax on alcohol, the government would lose too much money.

Thats the equivalent of removing every vehicle/driver from the roads, it would be easy for the police to catch drink drivers with this as they could pull people up at random and every single one would fail.

The real reason it hasn't happened is because the human body produces alcohol (ethanol) naturally, the usual levels are 0.01 to 0.03mg of alcohol per 100 ml blood, meaning single one of us would fail.

Villa

This would start infringing on your rights and freedom.What you can and … This would start infringing on your rights and freedom.What you can and cannot do in your property should be your own business; can a car be considered property?

So the kids get a 10 minute break on the way to school and back but then have to inhale second hand smoke back at home.

Nobody should smoke in front of children but I can't imagine any who do stopping at home as well as in the car.

I don't think the new law goes far enough either. Any scumbag caught smoking in their car whilst children are present should be dragged out and severely beaten for their first offence. That should serve as a fair warning but should they be foolish enough to ignore it the next time they are caught they should be executed on the spot with extreme prejudice. I think it's safe to say that would soon put a stop to it.
    Edited by: "jcvanshazam" 18th Dec 2014

Banned

Rhianne

So the kids get a 10 minute break on the way to school and back but then … So the kids get a 10 minute break on the way to school and back but then have to inhale second hand smoke back at home.Nobody should smoke in front of children but I can't imagine any who do stopping at home as well as in the car.

I would on the whole be in favour of a smoking ban in vehicles - but mostly because there is a danger element as the driver may not have use of both hands at times.

I would be totally opposed to any laws that try to interfere with what people do in the privacy of their own homes. It just sets a dangerous precedent and opens the door to possibly other restrictions and infringements.

Banned

Anyone still smoking in this day and age is an idiot, it's not that hard to quit. A few days of pain, A month of the odd craving, 3 months of a rare craving. gone

Banned

Musician

Anyone still smoking in this day and age is an idiot, it's not that hard … Anyone still smoking in this day and age is an idiot, it's not that hard to quit. A few days of pain, A month of the odd craving, 3 months of a rare craving. gone

Not all smokers want to give up though.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any PS4 News Here29213633
      2. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1425
      3. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.78
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846245

See more discussions